Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2.4D - Oil level going up !

Views : 30489

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 20:21   #11
Manic-me

Car goes in tomorrow - So I'll see what the dealer says.
Manic-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 10:43   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic-me View Post
Here's the dipstick location. (attached)
Thanks for this - I can see a dipstick similar to your in the same location - just that I cannot get to it, I need arms that are 6" longer and a lot thinner!

Regarding the display, how did you find this out? I cannot get my D5 Auto to show anything like this and I cannopt follow the same sequence as I do not have a clutch. I am happy to contact your source for the info on how to do this on an auto box, though I wonder if you are able to quiz them?

I am sure that there are lots of autobox people that would appreciate being able to check like you are able to

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 11:33   #13
XCF
Master Member

There was a post on here from a guy in Spain that had rising oil level

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=65168

and searching shows similar concerns

http://www.c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7847
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:56   #14
Manic-me

So the dealer said.... oil level is fine...but I did get some explanation on the electronic dipstick.
It was explained to me that the electronic dipstick is not always measuring - rather it has some sort of measurement cycle. Also that I would need to drive the car for 20 minutes plus - then stop before getting a more accurate reading.
I was told if in doubt, use the plastic dipstick, when the car had cooled down (to avoid burning hands) - the level should be towards the top of the stick.

Not an entirely satisfactory explanation. But I'm glad I had it checked. So I'm leaning towards inaccurate electronic dipstick - The service required message has gone , as per the photo and now it says OK.

wimorrison - sorry I picked up your post too late. I do have a colleague who is picking up a D5 geartronic XC60 this weekend - I'll see if he can get the information.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 16:10   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Manic-me,

thanks - hopefully he will find a way of checking it, my dealer is lost with this request

I have also emailed Volvo asking them for an answer to this for the d% auto, as yet no response - if one appears I will post here
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 19:24   #16
DavidG

Default oil level going up

I am not sure if the electronic oil gauge was only introduced on the new 2010 175 engines as I had the same problem when I collected my new 2.4S Geartronic in July. Having had a BMW with an electronic gauge I could not understand how to check the oil level with no conventional dipstick. What was more confusing was that the handbook showed a conventional dipstick but I could not find one on on my engine. I came across the electronic display by chance one day sitting in the car.
I think the process is similar for geartronic or manual types - this is how to do it-sit in the car shut doors to avoid any extra warnings leave gear selector in park or neutral on manuals, insert key do not put foot on brake or clutch for manuals and then press start button for about three seconds you should then get a display in right hand instrument similar to fuel gauge display.
I am surprised how this has been missed in the handbooks, I even had to show my local dealer how it worked as they did not know about it !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 20:27   #17
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Yippeee!!! sequence works on D5 Geartronic :)

the trick is, put the key in the slot, DO NOT PRESS the brake pedal then hit the start button - you should see the gauge. If you see the message 'Press Barke pedal ...' you will need to remove the key, wait 10 secs and try again - essentially you pressed the button for too long.

I wonder why nobody in Volvo seems to know about this?

BTW oil level is 100%
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 21:36   #18
Manic-me

>>Yippeee!!! sequence works on D5 Geartronic

Nice one :-)
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 23:32   #19
dodgyblue

My 1 month old D5 is showing rising oil levels. It's done about 1000kms. And the thing is my wife does 15km trips twice a day and on weekends we use it to go at least 150kms. So I'm wondering why the oil is rising. Took it in to the dealer they said no fault codes, the drained a litre of oil and put back 900ml because they said it was over by 100ml. And they will report to Volvo Australia. Keep in touch was the last words they told me.. Grrrrrr..
dodgyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:34   #20
tangey

Note an earlier poster implyied that you press the end button on the left hand stalk, thats not correct. You press the start button (without the clutch depressed) and then use the circular switch on the left hand stalk (the one you normally use to see the ave MPG, instanteous MPG etc) to cycle until you see the oil level.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote