Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Proposed Rolling Road day 5th.Dec. Bletchley, MK.

Views : 7989

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 09:15   #11
st5ve
S60 R

If my T5 has it's engine fitted by then I will be up for this.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 18:45   #12
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
I can book a day on the MAHA machine installed at Marlin Motor Engineering in the centre of Bletchley, MK on saturday 5th.December

This Company has a modern MAHA AWD machine with software that is updated by the week, and along with power and torque measurement and plotting they can log via the OBD many other informative and usefull values at 100rpm intervals.

I had my Focus ST on this machine some days ago and the results are indeed very informative and valuable.

The cost will be £35 plus VAT for up to 20 of us and £30 plus VAT if over that number.

This is as near to a reference quality set up as we will find and the price will include time for second runs and some adjustments in between as was done last year at Powerstation in the Tewkesbury. They will also run well into the afternoon if needed.
Regards, Don.
Hi Don

Are you not happy with the results from your visit on the Motorworx excellent and very accurate Dyno Dynamics Rolling road with your ST ??

It will be interesting to see the figures you get from the Maha.

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 00:53   #13
mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mechanics View Post
Hi Don

Are you not happy with the results from your visit on the Motorworx excellent and very accurate Dyno Dynamics Rolling road with your ST ??

It will be interesting to see the figures you get from the Maha.

Russ
Out of interest you sell software developed on a Maha Dyno, and use Dyno Dynamics yourself, how do you find they compair with the claimed figures?
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 02:27   #14
frogster
the stealth brick

Thumbs up

Im also up for this to see how much more has been gained on the 440 with some mild tweeks, is there a full address or web site for directions??
frogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 06:23   #15
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Out of interest you sell software developed on a Maha Dyno, and use Dyno Dynamics yourself, how do you find they compair with the claimed figures?
Thats for your support of the excellent RICA products i have not had a chance to try a back to back test yet with the Maha and a Dyno dynamics machine.

What machine does mte have ?

Interesting Don favours the Maha machine over the Dyno Dynamics as well and wants his customers cars to be run on it.....
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 07:26   #16
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Thats for your support of the excellent RICA products i have not had a chance to try a back to back test yet with the Maha and a Dyno dynamics machine.

Interesting Don favours the Maha machine over the Dyno Dynamics as well and wants his customers cars to be run on it.....

I think you'll find those of us who have spent money in the past on Dyno Dynamics have been dissapointed in the results, not with the power figures (which are easily massaged - Just ask your good friend Adam Weber - he made a living from fiddling a Dyno) - but more the lack of information on plots and the complete lack of skill with the machines by the machine operators. Some interesting comments exist out there about MotorWorx's skill set and the dyno accuracy - In fact I believe one of the phrases was "The plots are all over the place, and they don't have a effing clue"

It would appear "almost" every monkey and their mate have a Dyno Dynamics, it's the Dyno of choice for the Chavtastic massive, and any Chav place fitting big exhausts and those who appear not to be too serious - or those who just have no sodding clue.

I mean, where else can you screw people alive for shoving a car on something for 3 minutes at £40 - £70 a go.... Well other than when doing 4 Wheel Alignments... At the very least when I've paid my money I expect a fully detailed plot and set of graphs.

Out of interest, those with Dyno Dynamics machines will shortly be completely stuffed as the company has gone into liquidation.

Quote:
As part of the Board’s ongoing review of the company, the directors have decided to withdraw financial support for the Dyno Dynamics subsidiary companies, resulting in them being put into administration.

The Board’s review concluded that these businesses are not part of the company’s go-forward strategy. The Board’s view is that this decision will have a positive financial impact on the Allomak group.

In order to achieve this in an orderly manner, Mr Craig Crosbie and Mr Nicholas Martin of PPB have been appointed as voluntary administrators of Dyno Dynamics Pty Ltd and Dyno Exports Pty Ltd effective immediately.
<snip>

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Nov 27th, 2009 at 07:29.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:11   #17
mole

Quote:

You misunderstood again Russ, I did not support Rica and I would love you to show me an "excellent Rica product", can you do that?

You wouldn't actually need to do a back to back test, just one of the cars that you remap and then if the numbers don't add up at least one of your suppliers is dishonest...

As I'm sure your aware from your conversation with MTE they use a Roto Test dyno.

If you have any faith in you "excellent Rica product" I take it you will turn up to the Dyno day and prove it PMSL.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 10:17   #18
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:

I do not want to get involved in a "mines better than yours" competition as this seems to be degenerating into but I hope that was not a dig using my earlier post.

After much reading and deliberating, yes, I have decided to go with an MTE remap on my D5. Yes I'm on T5D5, but yes I'm also on VOC and VPCUK and I've also been on other forums reading about the various tuning products available. MTE is my own choice and I have not been influenced by anyone full stop. My original plans were to do the remap next year however it just so happens that two things happened to bring this forward: i) I have had a pleasant suprise in the shape of some pennies from one of my endowment companies that covers the cost of said remap, and ii) this RR day became available so I can have a before and after comparison.

I am really not too interested in the absolute figures in terms of bhp or torque more that there is a significant improvement in the driving experience. And who knows in the future, I may even use one of Marco's visits to the UK to have the map tweaked my driving style if I decide I want such changes.

And just to add, I'm in business of materials testing for a global company. I see this "our machine is more accurate than the competition" all the time. At the end of the day, the only true test is a back to back comparison on the same test kit on the same day.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 18:26   #19
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I do not want to get involved in a "mines better than yours" competition as this seems to be degenerating into but I hope that was not a dig using my earlier post.

After much reading and deliberating, yes, I have decided to go with an MTE remap on my D5. Yes I'm on T5D5, but yes I'm also on VOC and VPCUK and I've also been on other forums reading about the various tuning products available. MTE is my own choice and I have not been influenced by anyone full stop. My original plans were to do the remap next year however it just so happens that two things happened to bring this forward: i) I have had a pleasant suprise in the shape of some pennies from one of my endowment companies that covers the cost of said remap, and ii) this RR day became available so I can have a before and after comparison.

I am really not too interested in the absolute figures in terms of bhp or torque more that there is a significant improvement in the driving experience. And who knows in the future, I may even use one of Marco's visits to the UK to have the map tweaked my driving style if I decide I want such changes.

And just to add, I'm in business of materials testing for a global company. I see this "our machine is more accurate than the competition" all the time. At the end of the day, the only true test is a back to back comparison on the same test kit on the same day.
Well said Robbie
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 23:19   #20
Dyno01

I have been asked to post on this forum and point out some facts

unfortunately Dyno discussions on forums always seem to turn bad usually by somebody who has a vested interest or has not been able to accept that thier car is not making the quoted power.

A Dyno Dynamics Dyno can produce plots of afr/boost/power/torque/temperature/ODBII information from the ECU/injector pulse width/injector duty cycle/tractive effort and much much more. They are one of the most popular Dyno's in the world due to thier provern accuracy and repeatability amongst the tuning and OEM communities. One of the key things about the Dyno is the way that operators can NOT interfere with the results.

in my expericance a Typical focus ST makes somewhere between 220 and 225 hp

but don't take my word for it

here is a graph of a car tested on an engine dyno and again on a Dyno Dynamics chassis Dyno

here is an article from an independent test, please take the time to read it and study the conclusion

(I would also like to point out that Dyno Dynamics is NOT Liquidated, the new owners will be announced shortly)

Last edited by Dyno01; Nov 27th, 2009 at 23:22.
Dyno01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dyno01 For This Useful Post:

Tags
rt mechanics