Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 200hp exec...... you guys are in for a treat.

Views : 18331

Replies : 138

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2010, 14:21   #101
CherokeeDriver

Wink That blessed noise...

Hello,

Picked up our XC90 200hp on 18th December - the day the snow came. From the outset we had the "noise" from the front wheels. Most audible when slowing to about 10mph.

I thought it was a sticky brake front right, but there wasn't the associated smell. Then thought it's a dry final drive bearing.

In the true spirt of not being bothered to take the car back I raced it down the M3 and back up again at high speed, and the noise has dissappeared. I now suspect the noise came from the tread on the tyres breaking in.

Foot brake is also very stiff and noisy. I suspect it's a design feature, and as I've got the automatic box I'm not that bothered; simply won't use the brake.

Apart from that it's an OK car - I came from an E39 530i Touring so I'm underwhelmed with the performance and handling whilst I adjust my driving style.
CherokeeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 14:58   #102
tahirs

Ours didn't sound like any noise a tyre would make, but at about 300 miles seems to have disappeared, just before it got to the dealer for a checkup!

Last edited by tahirs; Dec 31st, 2010 at 15:01.
tahirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 15:49   #103
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeDriver View Post
Hello,

Picked up our XC90 200hp on 18th December - the day the snow came. From the outset we had the "noise" from the front wheels. Most audible when slowing to about 10mph.

I thought it was a sticky brake front right, but there wasn't the associated smell. Then thought it's a dry final drive bearing.

In the true spirt of not being bothered to take the car back I raced it down the M3 and back up again at high speed, and the noise has dissappeared. I now suspect the noise came from the tread on the tyres breaking in.

Foot brake is also very stiff and noisy. I suspect it's a design feature, and as I've got the automatic box I'm not that bothered; simply won't use the brake.

Apart from that it's an OK car - I came from an E39 530i Touring so I'm underwhelmed with the performance and handling whilst I adjust my driving style.

You really should use the parking brake, it`s not good practice to leave an automatic gearbox in Park without the assistance of the parking brake, especially if you are on any king of hill, it can cause mechanical stress.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 15:54   #104
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeDriver View Post
... and as I've got the automatic box I'm not that bothered; simply won't use the brake..
Ooops.... not a good idea. Use it or lose it.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 16:31   #105
tahirs

Really? I've never used the handbrake on an auto. Not had one (till now) for ages but I managed to clock up 173000 incident free miles in a Merc 300E
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 16:49   #106
Ron_XC90
Master Member

There are several posts with people reporting handbrake issues, a possible cause is if they don't get used (often). The problem then is to get the car through an MOT as the handbrake will not work properly.
My driveway is quite a steep incline, so always have the car in park with the handbrake on and so far have not had these issues
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 17:17   #107
Clan
Experienced Member

indeed , if you dont use the parking brake the surface of the drum gets very rusted and pitted and the Parking brake wont work when you need it .. Also leaving the car in P does NOT lock the wheels , both are still free to rotate in opposite directions due to the action of the differential gears . It just prevents the final drive crown wheel from rotating .. Obviously putting the parking brake on physicaly locks the two rear wheels to the chassis of the car ..
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 09:25   #108
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahirs View Post
Really? I've never used the handbrake on an auto. Not had one (till now) for ages but I managed to clock up 173000 incident free miles in a Merc 300E
If your other cars had a joint rear brake and handbrake then you wouldn't have had any problems as the act of normal braking would have kept the braking surfaces in good condition but the xc90 has a separate parking brake to the rear brake and this only gets used when you apply it hence it rusting up and then failing the Mot.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 09:53   #109
262coupe

Is there then an argument for occasionally (and obviously at very slow speeds ie 2-3 mph) applying the 'handbrake' very gently just to bring the car to a halt and keep the brake surface rust free?
262coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:00   #110
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 262coupe View Post
Is there then an argument for occasionally (and obviously at very slow speeds ie 2-3 mph) applying the 'handbrake' very gently just to bring the car to a halt and keep the brake surface rust free?
yes that's what i'd do if i had one , but applying it a few times a day as you normaly would a handbrake lever should keep it in good condition too . ( The other volvo models with this system and a handbrake lever dont rust up ) And always fit new handbrake shoes when you fit new rear discs/drums