Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter tyres

Views : 11081

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:16   #41
bugi666

Guys,

After reading this post, I was wondering ... anyone has some experience with Hankook tyres? My car has Contis on the back and Hankooks HP in the front (18s). Still no snow in Glasgow (thanks God ) but I'm a bit worried how the car will work when the white winter comes ...
As I'm struggling with money just now, I can't see myself buying a set of Nokians or Vredesteins ... There is a set of used ones on ebay, but - would you buy an used set off ebay? I'm worried about possible kinks and other issues which are not normally advertised :/
bugi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 11:27   #42
rvrover

Pinstripe is spot on with the advice. Regarding part-worns they are always a potential risk if you don't know the history of the tyres.Need to be pressure tested and checked free of damage and repairs.Is it worth it with a "decent" set costing half retail?
My thoughts were that a bump in winter weather is first usually scary, two usually costly, and three potentially life-threatening.
On that basis I bought the best new winter tyres I could afford and put them on a set of alloys off fleabay. This way I only need to run the tyres when the conditions demand (Nov-March) and hopefully will get several winters out of them rotating front/rear.
Plus obviously am not using the all-season tyres, so similar benefit for those.
Totally understand if the cost element is a problem, but if I had to buy one set of tyres to use all year I'd buy the Vredesteins.Living in Lancashire its quite hard to tell summer from winter!
rvrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 19:26   #43
inishfalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
I would always put all 4 winter tyres on.

Is the 3.2 different with a 60:40 drive?
Sorry should of said 95% front wheel drive in dry conditions hence front tyre wear. The petrol is a bit quicker then the diesel which also adds to the wear.
inishfalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 22:20   #44
Fourier

Default I'm nervous now...

All this talk about winter tyres - are the standard fit pirelli tyres on my 2011MY exec really that bad? I've bought a pair of autosocks as a backup plan, but I didn't really want to fork out 700+ quid for more winter-focused tyres, at least until this set are done for...We live in Scotland so snow is a distinct possibility...
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 14:58   #45
Pinstripe
Other side of the pond

@ Fourier, don't. No doubt this is not the first time you'll be driving in winter conditions so you do have experince in it. See my previous post on weather condition in this thread. Slow down and give yourself more space. If you feel like the standard spec tires aren't working, then you can purchase some winter rubber.

@ bugi666, which Hankooks?
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 15:12   #46
bugi666

Dynapro HP in the front and standard Cross Contact UHP Contis on the back.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 18:47   #47
Pinstripe
Other side of the pond

Oof, two different tires front an back can make for interesting handling as each end of the vehicle has different abilities.

UK owner review on the Dynapro's: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Ha...ro-HP-RA23.htm

The Cross Contact UHP's are very well rated, but are straight up performance summer tires and are meant for 3 season use only.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 23:58   #48
bugi666

Bought the car with them, in whole honesty, I didn't actually think ahead (car bought in June), and now I'm just a bit stressed to see first snowflakes :/
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 00:04   #49
bugi666

Another question - what pressure do you guys keep during winter time? "Usual" economy 39 PSI (if my memory serves me right) or lower pressure?
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 22:13   #50
REDSHEEPRIDD

Well the snow is back - a couple of inches here today with more forecast.

Got to try out my Vred Wintrac 4 Extremes and was not let down one bit.

My previous Scorpions were fine last year, but the difference today was really noticeable, particularly with the braking power and stopping distance.

Glad I bought them.

On the subject of part worn - my wife has a c class estate CDi, which hardly moved last year for about 8 weeks, so we got new winter tyres on the front (205/55 16) - stocked everywhere, but could not get rears (225/50 16) for love nor money. Ended up buying 2 of ebay - Pirrelli snowsports for £50 - with about 5mm left - tested & no punctures. Yes I dont know the history of them, but they certainly worked today and are better than summer tyres.
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote