Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1094119

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2015, 08:39   #7141
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Regarding value.... I became a V40 owner as I wanted a compact estate - to replace my Mondeo that had just died of extreme old age with a car that was both smaller and more spacious

A V40 represented the best value for money to me in terms of brand value , product quality and cheapness to purchase. In other words, even 3 years ago they were cheap for what they were. Comparable cars in spec/size/image terms (Skoda Octavia Estate, BMW 3-series Touring, Ford Focus Estate, VW Golf Estate, Audi A4 Avant) cost a lot more at the same ages and mileages and werent necessarily any better

I dont complain of the low MV of our cars - its what brought me here.
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 09:20   #7142
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMachina View Post
Regarding value.... I became a V40 owner as I wanted a compact estate - to replace my Mondeo that had just died of extreme old age with a car that was both smaller and more spacious

A V40 represented the best value for money to me in terms of brand value , product quality and cheapness to purchase. In other words, even 3 years ago they were cheap for what they were. Comparable cars in spec/size/image terms (Skoda Octavia Estate, BMW 3-series Touring, Ford Focus Estate, VW Golf Estate, Audi A4 Avant) cost a lot more at the same ages and mileages and werent necessarily any better

I dont complain of the low MV of our cars - its what brought me here.
Fair way of looking at it.

As usual, it just depends which foot the boot is on: you can get an excellent car for little money if you are buying, but you have an excellent car worth peanuts if you're selling.

The answer must be just to hang on to them if they're good examples!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcw For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 09:33   #7143
Alex121
Premier Member

Dropped mine off at Volvo this morning to get wheels refurbed again - Only done last year but they're pealing already so being completely stripped back and redone FOC and just had a text from Uncle telling me my front tyres are barely legal....Forgot I'm doing a lot more miles and I'm probably going to get through a pair every year now. time to order some more Rainsports!

Got a new V40 T2 for the week - Jeez its sluggish!

EDIT: Tyres worn out are my 4 month old Rainsport 3s! Sh*t. time to stop the wheel spinning I think, only done maybe 4-5k on those! Hahaha!

Damn T4 traction issues!

Last edited by Alex121; Jan 26th, 2015 at 09:53.
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 09:33   #7144
kieran40
I've Been Banned

I paid a fair chunk for mine but it was nearly new only 3 years old at the time, I bought mine based on reviews they were one of the best cars on the road at that time for reliability ok maybe not looks but deffo reliability. It hasn't failed in that sense. Comming from a very unreliable k series derived rover all I wanted was a car that wouldn't let me down every other day. I grew too like the car so much that I don't see the point in selling just keep it until it dies of old age it may get tatty but mechanically it will go on and continue to be a friend.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:12   #7145
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex121 View Post
Dropped mine off at Volvo this morning to get wheels refurbed again - Only done last year but they're pealing already so being completely stripped back and redone FOC and just had a text from Uncle telling me my front tyres are barely legal....Forgot I'm doing a lot more miles and I'm probably going to get through a pair every year now. time to order some more Rainsports!

Got a new V40 T2 for the week - Jeez its sluggish!

EDIT: Tyres worn out are my 4 month old Rainsport 3s! Sh*t. time to stop the wheel spinning I think, only done maybe 4-5k on those! Hahaha!

Damn T4 traction issues!
Ouch!!!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 12:43   #7146
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

LOL, I'll keep you informed as to how long my Rainsport 3s last on the diesel

Fitted this morning, only got laser alignment / tracking done as apparently there's no camber setting on the V40 anyway, so that saved me £50 for nothing.

Already feels much neater and "truer" and straighter and it's definitely less wobbly over potholes/manholes, so presumably the unevenly worn inside shoulder on the last tyre was causing most of the "pull".

I'm still not convinced it's 100% straight with the steering wheel dead straight, and it's still occasionally trying to go right a bit, but that could easily be road surface uneven/camber rather than alignment issues as I'm no longer fighting to keep it straight on the road as I was before. All round I'm 90% happy with that.

Also I think the move from 205/50 to 205/55 on the 16" wheels was a good move - the ride feels noticeably less bumpy on rough roads now. Haven't tested the speedo underread to see if it's accurate yet but I understand that can be reprogrammed with VIDA?

I'll give it a good blast later on to check that the new tyres have fixed the wobbly wheel issues (probably from imbalanced wheel) and see how it feels on the motorway, and then take it around a car park to see how it is on a flat surface.

Last edited by baldmosher; Jan 26th, 2015 at 12:50.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 12:51   #7147
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

As you can tell from my signature, I deliberately picked a cheap high miler in excellent cosmetic condition with full service history. Cost me £1000, I've spent maybe £300 on servicing and urgent repairs since I bought it a year ago, and I can't imagine I'd get more than £500 for it when I sell it, if I'm lucky, so I'm not planning to sell it.

I don't really understand why people buy new mid-spec cars, and don't just aim for top-spec 11 year old motors that have all their known issues outlined and "how to" guides available online.

The decision gets a bit woolier when you move too far from year 2000 because of variations in tax/emissions standards and general standards of build quality. I loved my M reg Golf at the time, as it cost me nowt and gave us 3 years solid motoring, but then I drove a P reg GTi after having the V40 for 3 years, it was immaculate inside, but it felt like a tin can on wheels.

I couldn't rave about the first 2 or 3 Focuses either (1998-2012?) but the new one is really solid built, not much hard plastic on the interior, and deathly quiet even at mid speed.

It also gets wooly when you look at "prestigious" mfrs as I find BMW/Merc are overpriced (but can be sold for more). Volvo is well under the radar -- no reason to pay more than £2000 for a solid Volvo of any description. I saw an immaculate 850R for sale for £1200 quite recently (high mileage but FVSH) and was very tempted.

Last edited by baldmosher; Jan 26th, 2015 at 13:00.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 13:05   #7148
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
I saw an immaculate 850R for sale for £1200 quite recently (high mileage but FVSH) and was very tempted.
I dont think I could have resisted that
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 13:11   #7149
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Keep an eye on SLR motors Autotrader page then

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/services...4/sort/default

He only buys direct from Volvo and I've never seen a car that I didn't think was for sale unbelievably cheap.

Recommendation originally from Wire_Tim on here. I've never bought from him as he doesn't usually bother with the V40 diesels.
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2015, 14:18   #7150
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Keep an eye on SLR motors Autotrader page then

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/services...4/sort/default

He only buys direct from Volvo and I've never seen a car that I didn't think was for sale unbelievably cheap.

Recommendation originally from Wire_Tim on here. I've never bought from him as he doesn't usually bother with the V40 diesels.
Aren't volvo's popular up in Manchester Tom, I was talking too a manc I know youre from Salford lol but he said saabs and volvo's are popular, interesting site
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage