Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A public thank you to Marmitespreader

Views : 1792

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2013, 19:04   #11
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 854 1984cc 20v View Post
I remember reading years ago, that it was made mandatory at the time when Sweden changed from driving on the left (UK-style) to driving on the right, and that having lights on would help remind motorists of the change i.e. prevent head-on collisions due to absentminded-ness.
Obviously road signs and markings could not be changed overnight.

It may be that you are actually correct, but I prefer my story!
LOL - yes, a nice story... I think what happened was that it was recommended drivers would use the low beams during the first couple of weeks.

The fact is:

https://www.flashback.org/t239628

"Volvo först ut med varseljus på 240:an när den kom 1975, sen fick även Saab 99 liknande varseljus 1977."

Translation:

"Volvo first with daytime running lights on the 240 when it came out in 1975, then Saab 99 also got similar lights in 1977."

=*^)

In regards to when Sweden changed from left hand traffic to right hand it was :

"Då körningen börjades efter övergången rekommenderades att man hade halvljuset tänt."

Freely translated:

"Drivers were advised/recommended to keep the low beam on when starting to drive after the changeover."

http://hem.bredband.net/b132258/hoge...g/HL_inneh.htm

http://www.automotorsport.se/artikla...ck-hogertrafik

The song played is :

"Keep to the Right, Svensson - or it'll end up with a real smash/crash" - played incessantly before the switchover..

There are a couple cool period videos - before and after, complete with an announcer who speaks in a way no Swede speaks today - think documentaries from the 40's here in the UK...

The comment below the videos says:

Jag tycker alla länder ska ha högertrafik – även Storbritannien!

(I think all countries should have right hand traffic - even the UK!"

For - 158 - against - 17

hmmmm....
The Following User Says Thank You to Christerart For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 23:20   #12
Bill_56
Premier Member

I strongly agree with everything Christerart says.

my only qualification is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
whatever the extra cost of replacing bulbs more often .
... With P2 V70/S60, bulb replacement is no trivial matter, and all but impossible in a dark roadside layby. That being the case, the 'cost' is not a financial factor, rather it is a safety cost, given the temptation to drive home in the dark with one eye out, rather than have the car trailered to a main dealer simply to replace bulb.

With that (small) qualification, I class myself as a strong supporter of DRLs, especially nowadays as more an more new cars have them as factory-fit. Do Volvo drivers really want to become relatively invisible in daylight compared to Fiats, Fords and Nissans?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:06   #13
Symes
Master Member

As Bill above a P2 is not going to be an easy change on a dark rainy night, but as the majority of us seem to have front fog lights fitted. I would suggest that these are switched on in such instances to illuminate the ns kerb - it would be a pretty hard copper to issue a ticket for this 'get you home / safe' use... but then I'm no lawyer :-)

Personally I think drls are a good thing, however the new fashion for over bright led versions needs to be addressed (Audi, Merc,Porsche - I'm talking to you... but you're not alone).
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:36   #14
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I strongly agree with everything Christerart says.

my only qualification is...

... With P2 V70/S60, bulb replacement is no trivial matter, and all but impossible in a dark roadside layby.

I didn't know this. I updated the headlights on my C70 to the clear ones and changing them and the bulbs was/is a doodle - took me 30 minutes swapping from another C70 and putting in new bulbs and I got nothing but thumbs when it comes to messing with cars.
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:52   #15
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post

With that (small) qualification, I class myself as a strong supporter of DRLs, especially nowadays as more an more new cars have them as factory-fit. Do Volvo drivers really want to become relatively invisible in daylight compared to Fiats, Fords and Nissans?
This new dalliance with DRL's on new cars is blooming dangerous in my opinion!

Cars only seem to have front lights illuminated and not rears for some stupid reason. This appears to lul the driver into a false sense of security, and many don't bother reaching for the light switch in foggy/dark conditions.

That's my 2.5pence.

Needless to say the first thing I did when I got my S60 was turn the DRL's off.

My other bugbear is constantly illuminated instrument panels....

Maybe it's the biker in me, I don't like been dictated to by a blooming car!