Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat Belt fraying

Views : 4813

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 19:47   #11
johnswlondon
CEO

Default belt fraying

volvos problem is that the shape of the groove is intended to be a safety feature.it is intended to provide automatic height adjustment for the driver and passenger,with the belt moving up and down the groove to adlust to the occupants height.to be fair,this movement will involvo some rubbing to the belt.

if you are the only driver,you can buy a clip which prevents the inertia feature operating,but be warned ,this may hinder the seatbelt pretensioners in the event of an accident
johnswlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 23:11   #12
mag

Default RE: Seat Belt fraying

I have a V40 and recently bought an S40. Both suffer from the same problem. To cure the V40 (for which I had to replace a seat belt for the MOT test as it was frayed) I followed the groove caused by the seatbelt making it bigger by using a Dremel and a small round abrasive piece that comes with the Dremel and that has cured the problem. I'm about to do the same with the S40. Don't want the same to happen with that.

Mag
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 03:54   #13
KiwiJock

Same thing happens in NZ as well. Just failed the WOF( Warrant of Fitness), same as MOT, due to fraying on belt from the litle groove. Not so many V40's in NZ so couldn't get second hand one here, was going to be charged $1000 for new belt, about 400 quid and $150 to fit. May have been in NZ for 8 years but still too Scottish to pay that much, only paid $5,500 for car(T4 '99). Got one off Ebay for 25 quid + 10 quid post, sent to Dad in Dingwall, posted to NZ 54 quid(sorry, no pound sign on keyboard) and got it 10 days later. Fitting pretty easy following Haynes and taking care of SIPS sensor, about 1 hour and happy to be quids and dollars in.
KiwiJock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiwiJock For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 20:11   #14
coupeboy

Seat belt fraying? Same problem with my wife's car - she's 5'2" and obviously the B pillar trim has done all the damage. £175 from Volvo for a new one! Tried looking through breakers but they all pretty manky and you need to see the car they came from! The label on the firework says don't fit in another car! Thanks Volvo for not recalling this as it's clearly a design fault and for the replacement being so expensive!
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 19:16   #15
ShaunieS40

I just bought a new belt from ebay 9.99 and 7.99 for posting to ireland!! sorted try ebay i think the seller has more . . .
ShaunieS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 22:45   #16
duggers1954

Hi. yeah had the same problem with the passengers took back to volvo main dealer. no joy but then thought i will send and email to customer services stating that this should not happen after all the car is only 4year old. They replaced the seat belt free, but now the drivers seem to be fraying now.
Worth a try!!!!
duggers1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:34   #17
newvolvos40owner

My S40 driver belt is fraying as well. I have an mot coming up so i went to a breakers yard yesterday to see what they had. Seemed fairly straight forward to remove one if you uncoiled the belt at the top and removed the pin that is slotted into the belt end. You could then just remove the belt leaving the tensioner and other stuff in place. Is this the best way to go about it? I am a bit concerned about compromising the safety of the system. Also the passenger side belt seemed to be interchangeable with the driver one. They didnt have my colour so I still dont have one to replace mine yet.
newvolvos40owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:44   #18
960kg
Premier Member

.....yes, same here with the plastic being worn away by the seatbelt BUT i have just looked through the gap where the seat belt goes and although i have this wide worn slit in the plastic there is a shiny part on the metal bracket that holds the seat belt unit to the pillar and mine wears on this as said because it gave the game away by having a shiny high spot......so whatever we do the belt will still fray on the metal as it is harder than the belt .....the plastic wears because it is softer than the belt.....

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 22:16   #19
timmybrick

i had this problem on my s40 it was an advisery on the mot then all of a sudden the belt just wouldnt roll back in. Any way i got a good clean one from a scrapyard it came off a o3 plate car. Fitting it wasnt to hard you just have to be carefull removing trim.
timmybrick is offline   Reply With Quote