Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75498

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 14:42   #31
scottxc70

Question Rear Wiper Question
I have been reading up on rear wiper motor faults as my rear wiper on my 2000 model xc70 has decided to stop working without warning, i have doused it in penetrating fluid but still no joy, i have checked both fuses and relay and these are in full working order i have removed the wiper motor assy and checked white nylon wheel for damage and this is fine i have also checked the wiring harness going from body to tailgate.i have priced this part up from volvo dealer and knew it would be expensive (£240 with the vat)

The only thing i think left to try is strip the spindle out of the motor assy and make sure it is clean and lubricated although i have started looking at second hand wiper motors on ebay and i might try and buy a V40 unit and change the motor as these are loads cheaper than V70 parts.

I know things cant last forever but has anyone else managed to change the motor from another car (V40/850)successfully???any other info would be useful to.

many thanks in advance
scott
scottxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:49   #32
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgator8 View Post
Upon reassembly and “field testing”, the arm was flopping around, back with my wrench for some additional tightening. Nut was “just about” where it needed to be when the threads snapped off the shaft and the rear glass exploded!
Ouch...

You also say you bench-tested it, you mean with power supplied?
This is the way to test if something is wrong: I posted the currentdraw on mine, which (by heart) was in excess of 6A (ampere) at about 12V before solving the shaft-bearing issue and 0.7A after thoroughly greasing it.

So @ scottxc70: if you have a chance to do this, it tells you a lot.
Over 5A draw will probably cause the thermalswitch to kick in (clicking noise and intermittent restingposition of the arm). Under 1A draw: your problem lies elsewhere.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 14:07   #33
Northgator8

Thanks R-P

Bench Testing, for me, meant holding the unit in my hand and plugging it in to the connector. I didn't measure the current draw, since I didn't want to cut into the wiring harness.

My issue was clearly corroded shaft in the housing. I could barely wriggle it out. Cleaned and lubricated, I could spin it with a feather.

I'm currently trying to find someone else's problem. The failed one I had a line on fell through. The car owner - for the first time in his life apparently - took the failed part. I guess when he looked at it, he thought it looked brand new, as they do, and thought he should check it out. He apparently is a psychologist so I don't expect he will actually get his hands dirty and figure it out. I asked the tech for the owner's address, so I could go through his garbage over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Northgator8
Northgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:52   #34
Darrenwilliams

Default Rear wiper motor

Ive stripped ours down and found the white plastic cog has worn out in two locations. Volvo cannot supply this part-"you'll have to buy the whole motor"!
Does anyone know if/where to get this part?
Many Thanks
Darrenwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 11:59   #35
Darrenwilliams

Hi,
I have the problem with the white cog, did you manage to sort a solution?
many Thanks
Darrenwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 08:54   #36
R-P
Master Member

My white wheel was in perfect order, so cannot help you there.

Best solution would be to get a second hand one and make a deal with the breakers that you get refunded when it has the same white-wheel-issue.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:56   #37
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'll add my name to the list of people who need a replacement "white wheel"...! My plan is to find a second-hand one.

My car (2005) has already had one new replacement - these are obviously a seriously crappy piece of design!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 21:45   #38
Daz Newell

Hello all.
My rear wiper doesnt work so i am tomorrow getting to try and fix it.
How does the wiper arm actually come off the spline....nut off and tap/pull/prise arm off i suppose.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 08:24   #39
Brendan W
Premier Member

Pretty much - keep it straight - bit of hot water does no harm. Take the biggest hammer you have and make a few practice swings in the air and it will put the frighteners on it.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 19:00   #40
Daz Newell

How hard is it to get the wiper arm off....mine will not come off

Last edited by Daz Newell; Jun 24th, 2011 at 19:31.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote