Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 880335

Replies : 6432

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2023, 16:55   #5021
Moomoo
VOC Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235031309...Bk9SR-zV6dWNYg

Have we seen this before?

It won’t be cheap off this chap!
Old May 30th, 2023, 17:20   #5022
Bob 1967
Master Member

I'm sure I've seen a Landrover dealer selling one before, could very well have been this one, but perhaps on a different account?
Old May 30th, 2023, 17:25   #5023
Moomoo
VOC Member

Those were my thoughts.🤔
Old May 30th, 2023, 18:13   #5024
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Those were my thoughts.🤔
Mine too - definitely seen this one before..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2023, 18:16   #5025
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235031309...Bk9SR-zV6dWNYg

Have we seen this before?

It won’t be cheap off this chap!
Didn’t this chap previously employ the BSBS * to help with his auctions?

* = Bolton Shill Bidding Society..

PS https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1425

Last edited by Othen; May 30th, 2023 at 18:23.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 20:56   #5026
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Oh No !!! Reality bites.....

Hi,

Well today was the day of the viewing in person of that grey 145 in deepest darkest Dorset,

Fortunately I managed to co-ordinate the trip with picking up 8 tambour cabinets near by, for the new workshop in progress, so entailed a 500 mile round trip and an overnight stay + hire of van, not exactly a cheap little jolly.

Owner had advised he would most likely not be there as he had commitments, long track to their small holding, jumped out to open gate, and I could see he'd left the 145 ready and waiting, gleaming in the sunshine......

As I got closer, the ever increasing feeling of disappointment welled up.. Oh Dear🙁

The photos in the original eBay ad had indicated a bit of trouble afoot, but well, where would I start, virtually all the trouble points mentioned in the various online guides were ticked off, along with many more. Every single trim strip looked as though it had been fitted with a sledge hammer.

Originally 'sold' for £2500 but fell through owner was asking £5.5k but after discussion, a sort of landing zone of £3.5 - £4K was discussed assuming it was as good as he described.

Well I'm not surprised it fell through at £2.5k, I'm not sure it's worth much than a £1k for a few spares

Well after 6hrs drive home, the rose tinted spectacles have been well and truly knocked askew, but the desire for an early 145 is undimmed.

The quest continues, hopefully nearer home next time😀😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 22:01   #5027
Moomoo
VOC Member

You’ve lanced that boil by the sound of it!

Sorry for the disappointment.

There will be another.
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 22:11   #5028
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sorry to hear you had a busted flush Steve, at least your spose rinted tectacles remain intact, ready for viewing the next possible resto-candidate.

I wonder if the seller "excused himself" due to embarrassment or whether he'd overdone the "Darzit scrumpy" and was nursing a hangover? It sounds like he must have been under the affluence of incahol when he priced the car, going on your description!

The upside is you have some nice cabinets for your workshop!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 22:55   #5029
Othen
Premier Member

Default The musings of a middle aged man with a beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi,

Well today was the day of the viewing in person of that grey 145 in deepest darkest Dorset,

Fortunately I managed to co-ordinate the trip with picking up 8 tambour cabinets near by, for the new workshop in progress, so entailed a 500 mile round trip and an overnight stay + hire of van, not exactly a cheap little jolly.

Owner had advised he would most likely not be there as he had commitments, long track to their small holding, jumped out to open gate, and I could see he'd left the 145 ready and waiting, gleaming in the sunshine......

As I got closer, the ever increasing feeling of disappointment welled up.. Oh Dear🙁

The photos in the original eBay ad had indicated a bit of trouble afoot, but well, where would I start, virtually all the trouble points mentioned in the various online guides were ticked off, along with many more. Every single trim strip looked as though it had been fitted with a sledge hammer.

Originally 'sold' for £2500 but fell through owner was asking £5.5k but after discussion, a sort of landing zone of £3.5 - £4K was discussed assuming it was as good as he described.

Well I'm not surprised it fell through at £2.5k, I'm not sure it's worth much than a £1k for a few spares

Well after 6hrs drive home, the rose tinted spectacles have been well and truly knocked askew, but the desire for an early 145 is undimmed.

The quest continues, hopefully nearer home next time😀😀

Cheers
Steve
That is a pity Steve, at least it wasn't a wasted journey.

I'm not sure you will ever find the right 140 VWW. You will know I don't understand the 140 (or VWW) obsession. If it was me (and I know, it is not) I'd be looking for a nice 1983 (so it would qualify as an historic vehicle next year) 240 (VWW if you must) with low miles and a bit of provenance for a couple of grand, then improving it a bit whilst driven*. Coffin nose 240s are so much more civilised than the earlier cars, and can be parked outside (I think that is an important consideration for you, that new garage of yours may take longer than you think)

I do so enjoy tinkering with motor cars and motorcycles. Today I spent all day working on a 2002 Honda CB500. It had belonged to a good mate of mine (Shaun) who passed away at Xmas. I'd promised his stepson (Ed) that I'd sort get it going for him, to encourage him to learn to ride it because that is what Shaun would have wanted. The bike has stood in a garage, unused, at least since the last MoT expired in June 2018. I fitted a new battery and got it started back in January, but it was running horribly, it needed the choke (fuel enricher) even when hot, would not exceed 4,000RPM and was generally sad. I just got round to creating enough space here and collected the bicycle yesterday.

The motorcycle obviously had a fuelling problem, and as with many bikes the only way to access the jets was to take the carburettors (two CVs, it is a water called DOHC twin) out of the frame. It took a couple of hours to get to the root of the problem:

... both jets were covered in green slime as was the float bowl - the other carburettor was the same. After a clean up and some careful reassembly (fixing lots of other bits and pieces as I went - like the battery box, why can't people reassemble the correct bits in the right order?) the bike runs pretty well. It will rev all the way to the red line (11,000RPM), run without the choke and tick over reliably at 1,200RPM. It still has a flat spot and an occasional misfire at about 6,000RPM, which is probably where the needles starts lifting from the mouth of the main jets. I'm hoping that will go away after a couple of Italian tune-ups, but if not I'll have to clean up the needles (a much easier job that may be done without taking the carburettors out of the frame).

After Bob's 13:00 walk I got all the lights working (a bit of contact cleaner and WD40 on the switches), pumped up the tyres (7PSI previously), checked all the fluids, adjusted and waxed the chain, changed the oil and filter and gave it a snow foam clean. It came out really well:

The motorcycle rode okay to the end of our cul de sac and back, so I'll book it in for a MoT. I do hope Ed likes it and does a direct entry course so he can ride it - that would be a good tribute to Shaun.

That was a bit of a tangent Stave - but it does illustrate how taking something (like a 1983 240 VWW that needs a bit of tinkering for example) might be very satisfying compared with a complete restoration of a 145 rustberg in the garage you don't have yet.

Just the musings of a middle aged man with a beard.

Time for bed said Zebedee.

* = Okay I'll 'fess up, that is what I did with the Barge .

Last edited by Othen; Jun 1st, 2023 at 23:00. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 23:07   #5030
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
You’ve lanced that boil by the sound of it!

Sorry for the disappointment.

There will be another.
😀😀The problem is though, there are probably a few other boils out there waiting for me.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: