Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50. Petrol or Diesel?

Views : 10551

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 21:32   #11
Ben Hur

I test drove both V50 2.0 litre petrol and diesel with two adult passengers to get a feel on how they drive with some load. The diesel was a far better drive. The gearbox on the diesel is a more precise 6 speed; the petrol has a flabbier feel 5 speed. Once you have experienced driving with the 6 speed, the 5 speed gearbox feels disappointing. The torque on the diesel gives a supreme push over the petrol engine, significant during acceleration and going uphill. My rear passenger made a comment that the diesel felt sportier.

Volvo made V50 2.0 litre diesel manuals made with no DPF. You need to check on the VIN to see if there is one fitted.

My S40 is DPF free.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 22:16   #12
GazT4
Diesel Power

I think the petrol guys are trying to convince themselves they haven't made a mistake.

Sorry but its confusing in Euros and KM, but 330 Euros for a service is crazy, i presume thats Volvo prices.

I recently serviced my 2.0D and parts were dirt cheap (as theyre shared with so many different cars using same engine) the oil was the most expensive if using quality fully synthetic at around £35. The oil filter is less than £5 so i'll be changing the oil/filter every 6000miles for the sake of £40. Fuel and air filter another £20. VERY cheap to service. At a good garage you'd be talking £150 for full service including all filters. I work at a garage so id know.

Anyway, each to their own, id never chose a slow and gutsy petrol over the diesel. Unless you cant afford to buy a diesel.
GazT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 22:19   #13
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
My S40 is DPF free.
So is mine, DPF Free I mean, diesels are far better if you need the grunt for towing or hill work or anything like that, they're better for economy and especially so on runs, so if you do a lot of runs it pays off by the bucket full, and the 6 speed box is great, it's like having overdrive in the old days and you feel like you're getting that extra bit of drive for free when you slip it in that 6th gear.

If you just need a town car, the petrol is the way to go, you'll kill a diesel with those short runs.

I'll stick with my diesel, I'm well pleased with it.

HTH

Last edited by UKTech; Apr 12th, 2012 at 22:21.
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:34   #14
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Anyway, each to their own, id never chose a slow and gutsy petrol over the diesel. Unless you cant afford to buy a diesel.
Slow petrol?

Uno momento por favor!

Slow?

-> 0-100 km,/h (0-62 mph)
2.0l petrol: 9.4s (in C30)
2.0l diesel: 9.4s (in C30)

-> 100-200 km/h (62-124 mph)
2.0l petrol: 61s (in C30)
2.0l diesel: 94s (in C30)

-> 200 km/h-Vmax (124 mph-Vmax)
2.0l petrol: 43s (in C30)
2.0l diesel: 142s (in C30)

-> Vmax stated by Volvo
2.0l petrol: 210 km/h (131 mph)
2.0l diesel: 205 km/h (128 mph)

-> Vmax measured by GPS
2.0l petrol: 226 km/h (141,25 mph)
2.0l diesel: 209 km/h (130,63 mph)

A low end grunt makes you feel faster, but then when you need the speed, the diesel loses it's torque as the torque curve flatens out.

These figures can be used for V50 and S40, just take of a couple of MPH from both.

Diesels are great engines, but they don't have the advantages of the past anymore. As SonyVaio stated: there are more issues with those engines.

How often have you read here of problems with the 2.0l? I had one problem which I solved myself by cleaning something. That was it.

The costs don't matter in which currency they are, as the amount of work required is the same. The diesels need more oil (yes, they do!)... Should I be precise?

2.0l petrol: 4.3l of oil
2.0l diesel: 5.5l of oil

If serviced at Volvo, you already have 1.2l of expensive oil more on the bill.

Would you believe, that the 2.0l is more common that the 2.0d? No? Well, ask Ford for a 2.0l Focus/Mondeo/Galaxy/Fiesta/Transit/... Or Mazda in a 3/5/6/MX-5/...

Parts cost?

Cheapest glow plugs for 2.0d on eBay: £5.61
Cheapest spark plugs for 2.0l on eBay: £4.21 (4 pack costs £16,85 and are from NGK)

Cheapest oil filter for 2.0d on eBay: £4.00
Cheapest oil filter for 2.0l on eBay: £3.11

More?

Cheapest air filter for 2.0d on eBay: £4.74
Cheapest air filter for 2.0l on eBay: £4.74

Cheapest turbocharger for 2.0d on eBay: £395.26
Cheapest turbocharger for 2.0l on eBay: oh, there isn't one... Wonder why?

Cheapest radiator for 2.0d on eBay: £101.92
Cheapest radiator for 2.0l on eBay: £58.25

And there are loads of other things to consider... I'm not trying to make my decision better, I know it is But it seems that you, Gaz, are trying to make other peoples decisions look bad to compensate that you probably made a bad choice...

Just do yourself a favor: use the search or simply look through some of the threads and see what engine produces the most troubles...

I now rest my case.

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:02   #15
GazT4
Diesel Power

Didnt know you change glow plugs at every service, oh, thats because you dont. Turbo? When do we ever replace them? Never had one on 150k miles! Who you trying to convince because it isnt me!

Slow petrol as in real life driving, not your pointless book figures. In real life driving situations the petrol is slow, you need to drop it down gears and rev the balls off it. Not in a diesel, its ready to go with plenty torque at low revs. Im not talking about fastest in a drag race or top speed, thats not what i do with mine.

In real life, diesel is better and cheaper. Just face it.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:12   #16
kebab10
Premier Member

I went from a V40 2.0L petrol to a V50 2.0D and find the V50 a great deal better to drive. Laods of torque, good economy and when cruising very quiet. First car I have ever driven up Haldon Hill just outside Exeter in top gear and still pulling when I reach the top!

Wife drives it and loves it, son in law with a Saab 9-3 Aero Estate and 250 bhp petrol prefers the V50 to his!

Horses for courses really. Each to his own taste. Let the pumps decide!
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:27   #17
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Didnt know you change glow plugs at every service, oh, thats because you dont. Turbo? When do we ever replace them? Never had one on 150k miles! Who you trying to convince because it isnt me!

Slow petrol as in real life driving, not your pointless book figures. In real life driving situations the petrol is slow, you need to drop it down gears and rev the balls off it. Not in a diesel, its ready to go with plenty torque at low revs. Im not talking about fastest in a drag race or top speed, thats not what i do with mine.

In real life, diesel is better and cheaper. Just face it.
You don't change the spark plugs at the same time mr clever clogs.

You seem to try convincing me... But never mind, I'll leave you alone...

Click OH he's gone!

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 13:03   #18
GazT4
Diesel Power

Clever clogs? No..

Your quoting a non-existent item in a diesel service! Why? To convince yourself in some way the petrol is better/ cheaper?

A petrol needs Oil/Filter, Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs in a big service.

A diesel needs the same minus the spark plugs. So will cost less for the service.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 13:12   #19
kebab10
Premier Member

Why is it that most of the young RAF lads I work with buy diesel cars? Apart from better economy, they love the speed and thrill of it AND also find that they are cheaper to insure.

Some are paying £150 a month for a petrol Golf or Audi A3 and considerably less with a diesel equivalent! My father who has been driving for about 72 years has never owned a diesel car; driven them but has always had petrol.

Myself, like petrol and diesel and dont mind either. Have a diesel V50 at the moment. Love it!
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 13:18   #20
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Clever clogs? No..

Your quoting a non-existent item in a diesel service! Why? To convince yourself in some way the petrol is better/ cheaper?

A petrol needs Oil/Filter, Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs in a big service.

A diesel needs the same minus the spark plugs. So will cost less for the service.
Talking or writing to you is like writing to a brick wall, though I think the brick wall will respond in a more sensible/clever way (not at all).

I give up...

And look in this thread or better at the post I've listed:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...37#post1081137

I listed all costs for both engines (in Euros but you can get your calculator out and use the currency exchange rates).

Do this:

READ it. THINK about it. READ it again. Let it soak in and THEN reply with an answer, which will in someway work...