Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY RSE Solution

Views : 33040

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 19:39   #41
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonjd View Post
thanks agin

Jermaine

No problem - come back and show us what you install!
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:22   #42
TheDufster

I am following this with great interest, although I would like a solution whereby I can have the two screens running independently of each other. I guess this means I would need two of the cyclone units.

My problem is that I don't have the confidence to fit the kit myself. I am not a very practical person and I know I would end up making a mess of it, or not get it to work properly. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be able to fit a custom solution such as this to my car?

I've considered the use of iPads on Brodit brackets - this gives the advantage of having them removable for use elsewhere and being able to do more than just play games. However, this takes the cost to over £1,000 and I really don't want to pay as much as that.
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:29   #43
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Have a chat with Elliot2 (on this forum), he can do all sorts of customised installs...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:49   #44
TheDufster

Cheers, will do.
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 09:58   #45
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
Cheers, will do.
Sorry, believe it's 2xT's => Elliott2
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:41   #46
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
I am following this with great interest, although I would like a solution whereby I can have the two screens running independently of each other. I guess this means I would need two of the cyclone units.

Yes, two independant screens is easy - and you obviously need two media sources.

The "original" screens, if you can source them, have two video inputs so you could connect that easily to alow either screen to show either source... or same on both.

There are many, many alternative screens out there with games and dvd players built into a replacement headrest.

The only thing I would add to that option is the saftey position as the headrest is a saftey feature of the car and swapping to another "universal" make is reducting protection.

Having said that, its perfectly possible to add a screen to the factory headrests, just as many of the installers do... infact the dealer install RSE solution is exactly that - a screen install into an original headrest...

David
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 14:45   #47
dsd1976

Would 7" screens be too big for installation into the headrests? Will be installing myself into the headrest so want to make sure I get the right screen size.. Going to elliot2 not an option as I'm on the wrong side of the pond :-(
dsd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 15:29   #48
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd1976 View Post
Would 7" screens be too big for installation into the headrests? Will be installing myself into the headrest so want to make sure I get the right screen size.. Going to elliot2 not an option as I'm on the wrong side of the pond :-(
Hi

To be honest, it really depends on the mounts that the intended screen uses.

I would find the real spec sheet for the screens you are looking at and compare that with the physical headrest.

I suspect close to 7" may be the limit.

You also need to check the depth of the screen as the headrest is limited as to how far the existing leather will cover. The headrest (standard ones) have metal within so you cant go digging to make room.

If you look through one of my earlier threads - it shows you can unzip the headrest leather and have a look.

David
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 15:47   #49
owenfackrell
Premier Member

7 inch are the larger ones the Peter (ellott2) fits and they fill the whole of the headrest but they are a swivel screen so a fixed one may let you go slightly bigger. I can check the dimensions of mine if you want.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 18:11   #50
dsd1976

Thumbs up

Thanks if you can check the dimensions for me... I've had the cover apart and I'm thinking it may be a stretch to fit them...
dsd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote