Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

newbie V70 starting problems

Views : 1319

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2016, 23:23   #1
peerless nige

Default newbie V70 starting problems

Hi Guys, I've found your forum very informative on my older Volvo but now I have a newer one (with as many problems it seems!) so any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2010 V70 2.0 turbo diesel estate with 70,000ish on the clock. Its had an intermittent starting problem for a few months culminating in "see you hell" session last weekend so dragged to my local workshop guy for further analysis.
on the drive, first thing in the morning it starts as usual. drive down the drive (about 50mtrs and about 30 secs from starting) it dies...dead.
kick in the guts up to 70 revolutions and it finally starts. no smoke, no problem and runs fine for the rest of the day.
It's always the same amount of time but intermittent.
I have changed the air flow sensor in the pipe. no change.
My garage guy changed the throttle body/flap as it was sticking. no change (but it doesn't "hunt" at 30mph in third anymore so I guess that's called progress).
the last reading we had from the plug n play diagnostic was "low pressure fuel rail"

sooooo, any ideas as I'm running out of time and more to the point, money!

Nige
peerless nige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 07:21   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Have you changed the fuel filter including the new seals included with the element ??

The error code might be a fuel pressure sensor fault, or if you are unlucky a high pressure pump (Check and clean the connections).

No point changing a MAF sensor (Try cleaning it with a real good contact cleaner or special MAF spray first) unless it has an associated code. It will cause a limp home mode in most cars, rather than a start failure.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 22:29   #3
peerless nige

thanks Skyship.
I will ask Mark (the guy I use if I cant do it/get to it/to busy/cant be arsed) about the fuel filter. I'm sure it was changed at the last service.....I'll check when that was as that may have something to do with when this fault started?

He's had it for four days and has tried starting it in the morning first thing, evenings etc and every bloody time it starts on the button! B**t**d!

Luckily I have a couple of cars on the road at the mo so I'm not desperate for the ride but I still need to shift stuff for my work.
I'll go see him tomorrow and report back, I appreciate your time.

Nige
Old Aug 30th, 2016, 09:49   #4
peerless nige

looking like its the high pressure pump
will report further later........
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 19:27   #5
peerless nige

well it looks like it was the high pressure pump. Mark's changed it and fitted a new filter as well.
Came to about £600 with the VAT, does sound about right?
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 17:02   #6
peerless nige

that was August, came to it today and it wont start again and there's no fuel in the fuel line again.....AAAAARGH!
Will let the garage know in the morning and report back....I thought a 6 year old car was reliable enough?!?!
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:48   #7
peerless nige

Angry

well fingers crossed I'm sorted.
The car failed again after replacing several parts including the pump at the back of the engine which told the guys I thought was the wrong move as they're not supposed to pump air but fuel so no wonder it wasn't moving....

anywho....I spent some time (in stead of spending some money!) and checked everything out and I noticed that the ridged clear (ish) plastic fuel line from the bulkhead across the engine and up to the pump was
A. lose where it enters the pump. you could wriggle the fitting around alarmingly.
B. It had an inline valve in it which might have been a problem area (but couldn't pin it down)
C. the inline coupling wasn't very convincing either.

After bills mounting to over £800 it "seems" to be sorted for £32 fitted

thanks for the pointers on her and keep it up, I run a forum and car club and it takes a lot of time so thanks to all that work on here!