Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant Low Message

Views : 19731

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2010, 12:11   #1
dodgyblue

Default Coolant Low Message

So this morning I started the car and it showed "Coolant Low" on the dash. I popped the bonnet to have a look at the coolant reservoir. Sure enough, it was about 2mm below the Min mark. Being a Sunday and not near my local dealer, I took a cup of tap water and topped it up until it was about 2mm above the Min mark. Now, is it possible to get concentrated coolant from any store and add it in so its up to the Max mark? I never actually looked at the color of the coolant before.. it's Blue?!! I've seen Red and Green coolant, but Blue? Do I need special Volvo coolant?
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 12:49   #2
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
So this morning I started the car and it showed "Coolant Low" on the dash. I popped the bonnet to have a look at the coolant reservoir. Sure enough, it was about 2mm below the Min mark. Being a Sunday and not near my local dealer, I took a cup of tap water and topped it up until it was about 2mm above the Min mark. Now, is it possible to get concentrated coolant from any store and add it in so its up to the Max mark? I never actually looked at the color of the coolant before.. it's Blue?!! I've seen Red and Green coolant, but Blue? Do I need special Volvo coolant?
I had this message recently and by chance was near a dealer and they topped it up for free. Like you say it is a blue colour but I wouldnt imagine it makes any difference providing its the same spec - see below from manual

Coolant 2.0T, T6, 3.2, D3, D5, 2.4D. 8.9 litres capacity. Coolant recommended by Volvo mixed with 50% waterA, see the packaging.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 13:19   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

The question is where has the coolant gone ? Assuming it was on MAX when it was new .. you can get a litre bottle of coolant at the dealer about £4 get them to check for leaks ...
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 21:39   #4
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The question is where has the coolant gone ? Assuming it was on MAX when it was new .. ..
Check the oil level. If that has gone up you may have serious issues such as damaged head gasket or cracks in the engine block.

Otherwise the coolant may be leaking from any number of possibilities, such as radiator, heater, cracked pipes/hoses, loose joints in the cooling system or leaking welch plugs.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 22:47   #5
dodgyblue

thanks guys.will have to call the dealer and ask for advice today.I don't think there is any leaks as there are no pools of coolant on the floor of the garage.car just had its one year service about a month ago so can't see why the coolant wouldbe low.will check the engine oil level tonight when I get homevia the manual dipstick.the electronic dipstick says everything is ok.
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 10:11   #6
mawheele

Exclamation Mine too - and others...

Mine had the low coolant appear this week. 12k miles. Spoke to Dealer and he mentioned a few had come in with same reported issue in last few days. Anyone else with this problem?

Having the car checked over on Monday.
mawheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 10:55   #7
exasperated

I've got a 4 month old car - was in for its 3 month check 3 weeks ago and now this am it's saying coolant low, stop safely. Checked coolant and it's well below the minimum level. How can this happen?
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 11:12   #8
mfresh
Nice person

I had the same thing after about six months - the cooland low, STOP! - warning. Got a bottle of Volvo blue coolant from the garage in my village (they get delveries from Volvo within 4 hours apparently) for £4 and replenished it back to the full level, and since then the level has stayed exactly on full.

So if there was a leak it was a temporary one which fixed itself, which makes no sense at all but there we go...

I'll mention it at the 1st year service, and see what happens
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 19:28   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperated View Post
I've got a 4 month old car - was in for its 3 month check 3 weeks ago and now this am it's saying coolant low, stop safely. Checked coolant and it's well below the minimum level. How can this happen?
Top it up to MAX when cold , you now have a datum point then let your dealer know what you have done so that they can log it . If it gets towards minumum again let them know .