Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 T5 partial power loss

Views : 1558

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 08:55   #1
Hayne

Default S60 T5 partial power loss

Hi,

I am new to the forum due to buying my S60 T5, which I love driving.

A few months ago I noticed the car jerking (kangarooing) on light throttle when cold, which disappears when it gets warm. The car has always idled perfectly.
I read on the forum about faulty electronic throttles due to wear on the potentiometer tracking. I checked mine out and luckily, it is the Bosch model, so shouldn't exhibit the same issues. I removed it from the car and cleaned it thoroughly, reassembled it and it made no difference. Could the TCM still be faulty or is this unlikely.

Also, another symptom is when driving at any throttle position, there is a slight loss in power, as though there is intermittant boost, but I am not sure if it is turbo related as it does this at 1000rpm too where I wouldn't expect boost issues. It is most noticeable at high revs when the turbo is spinning where the car seems to pulse it's power from about half power to full power every second or so.

Yesterday I noticed it idle rough for about 1 second a minute after I started it too.

I have checked the coil packs and found one brown pack, which I replaced, but there was no difference.

I also changed the MAF, again with no difference.

I removed the TCV and cleaned it, but again no difference.

I checked the pipes for splits and couldn't find any and all pipes appear to be well clamped down at each end.

I read the codes using my OBD reader and there are none there.

Does any one have any idea what my problem might be as I don't want to spend any more money on non faulty parts and it is frustrating when the car looses power. When I don't see the fault, it just flies like it should with loads of power.

Sorry about the long rambling message.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Hayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 09:07   #2
Hayne

I forgot to say:

It is a 2002 2.3 (250bhp) version with manual gearbox and 148k on the clock.

Regards.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 09:31   #3
JameseT5
Hyper-car-driac

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayne View Post
I forgot to say:

It is a 2002 2.3 (250bhp) version with manual gearbox and 148k on the clock.

Regards.
I'm not far from you mate, I'm actually in south east Powys and I was born in Hereford living near Hereford up until 2009!

My car is a 2001 V70 T5 with 246,000 miles on the clock and the kangarooing on cold is something my car also does, I wonder if it's a characteristic of the car or whether something else is going on.

As for the lack of power, have you considered it may be a Boost sensor? I'd check the one that plugs in to the top of the intercooler to ETM pipe. Failing that it could be a Boost control solenoid or something like that, sorry I'm no expert but having read peoples woes with these cars so much I'm going through a list of possible known issues deducting the ones you've already tried.

Also, generic code readers don't always show up the faults (as I've found out).

Regards

James
JameseT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 11:27   #4
Hayne

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply, and a local too!

Glad I'm not the only one with the kangarooing issue. Hopefully between us we find the problem. It's also good to know yours has done so many miles. I have read that these engines are capable of big mileages, so hopefully mine has another 100k life left!

I will check the pressure sensor between the ETM and inter cooler and will let you know what I find.

These are great value for money cars and I don't understand why they are so cheap. Comfy, powerful and well built. I paid £1000 for it a year ago and this is the only issue I have had so far and it's never let me down!

Cheers,
Giles.
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 12:50   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Was the replacement MAF a genuine one ie Volvo/ Bosch from a reputable scource or a fleabay item.
Fleabay MAF's have a reputation for only working 10% of the time correctly.

You can order from Bosch. The part numbers are on there and its cheaper than from Volvo.

Genuine MAF's can be cleaned with electrical cleaner and put back into service. Mine has done 10's of thousands of miles over the time when I was told it was scrap by cleaning it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 22:11   #6
Hayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Was the replacement MAF a genuine one ie Volvo/ Bosch from a reputable scource or a fleabay item.
Fleabay MAF's have a reputation for only working 10% of the time correctly.

You can order from Bosch. The part numbers are on there and its cheaper than from Volvo.

Genuine MAF's can be cleaned with electrical cleaner and put back into service. Mine has done 10's of thousands of miles over the time when I was told it was scrap by cleaning it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bob
Thanks Bob, that is really helpful. I did buy a fleabay MAF for about £30 but it has never run quite right with it fitted. I have just bought a genuine Bosch unit which will come in the next few days so i will fit it at the weekend. I will let you know how I get on. I hope it cures it!!

Cheers,
Giles.