Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1221 fault?? fuel pressure pump

Views : 9481

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 16:19   #1
bazzer30
bazzer30

Default P1221 fault?? fuel pressure pump

Hi all
I really hate my volvo v40, it looks good, feels good but it always has some little issue, (bring back my old civic all is forgiven).
The latest saga; I refueled the car on Sunday afternoon, It was very near empty and I filled it to the top. When I started it, the rev counter went a bit mad i.e. we went from 500rpm to about 3000rpm maybe 2 or 3 times then stalled. I waited a few moments for everything to settle and started again with no problem, about a mile out the road I started to lose power and the car, the engine management computer light came on and i pulled in and towed the car home.
It has refused to start since! At first I was not overly alarmed thinking its probably just dirt in the petrol (I did check that I put petrol in). The local garage (not a main dealer) has subsequent to changing the plugs assured me that petrol is coming to the engine and I do have a spark, so he tried the diagnostic computer which gave him a p1221 fault. He has no details on that fault and is unwilling to do any more to the car. The Volvo garage tells me it might be a fuel pressure pump problem but won't commit till they do their own diagnostic. Either way it sounds expensive! has anybody experienced this before? Is the fuel pressure pump a common problem?.

Any body interested in buying a 2002 v40 1.8i GDI engine

barry
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:13   #2
mharriso
Master Member

mate check your fuel isn't contaminated, perhaps with water, seems odd this happened straight after filling up.....

i would drain the tank and flush the fuel system, replace the filter and give it a go... whilst you at it get inspect the fuel you drained, if you see layering in the fuel you may have water in it...

if all this is ok then i guess its a case of checking the fuelpressure regulator, then the pump, then the injectots etc... working from supply to eninge, and back again (fuel return line...)

All the best
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:05   #3
Dandle
Master Member

I would go with what mharriso said. It does seem like you have contaminated fuel in there.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:41   #4
bazzer30
bazzer30

Thanks Guys

I did go to the petrol station in question, they said that there had been no problem reported with their petrol, then they would say that, its worth checking out though.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 18:33   #5
bazzer30
bazzer30

the volvo garage got back to me, new fuel pump required!! 380euro +vat(21%)+labour. the joys of it all.......
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 23:04   #6
mharriso
Master Member

OUCH, look on the bright side, should run well now, seeing as it was probably below par before it finally went pop....cheers for lettign us know the outcome...
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote