Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Portable and In Car Manufacturer Fitted

Views : 2165

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2012, 19:49   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default Sat Nav Portable and In Car Manufacturer Fitted

I mean what’s it all about eh?

Manufacturer integrated sat nav for Volvo is well over a grand when good portable units are circa £200. Integrated is not helpful if you have more than one car.

I bought my first portable sat nat over 10 years ago when they were around £1500 a piece although paid much much less. Its never been updated either and has only got us 'lost' a few times , (cue A70 to Scotland being one!!) maybe half a dozen in all that time. Also got a Tom Tom circa 2007 which sometimes goes crazy as the battery is kippered as is the Mio!!

Just bought a new Tom Tom yesterday and this new sat nav gets 1 free update then maps are £75 a year..!!!….Why bother ?…I mean there is no road infrastructure investment in the UK really anyway.. Nowt changes, does it??..!!

Am also looking at buying a Garmin for all to use as a 'pool' sat nav which comes with free lifetime updates. What does 'free lifetime updates' mean - forever or for a set period that Garmin fancy and call 'the lifetime of the sat nav'? 1 year/ 2 years? Maybe 3? Is this any good? Anyone have one?

All our sat navs are Europe, which is very handy.

What sat navs do you have? Are you happy with them?

Cheers
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:10   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

I have used TomTom products for years until recently, the newer products just don't cut the mustard any longer for a number of reasons:

HD Traffic Live in the UK has been chopped from a 100 mile radius to around 40 which simply isn't enough.

Costly map upgrades when compared to Garmin, also TomTom offer products in the USA for example with free map upgrades for life, not in the UK though.

Their "wonderful" "MapShare" scheme, which is, in principle a great innovative idea but through poor implementation is little more than a "Map Degradation Scheme" IMHO (this is based upon hard experiance of trying to use it) - Long since given up on MapShare)

Integration with Twitter, FaceBook etc. What a joke a Nav unit is for guidance while driving a vehicle, having the ability to access such IM systems while in the car isn't something I agree with at all.

Combine the above points with a pathetic computer application (MyTomTom, which amazingly is worse than the previous TomTom Home PC Software) which you are forced to use to update anything on the newer devices and that was enough for me to jump ship.

I bought a Garmin 3790T about two years ago, it works well and the lifetime map update is for the life of the product, as long as it keeps going I will get new maps every three months. The unit is installed on a Brodit mount rather than the supplied windscreen sucker as this provides a neater installation with no cables in view, this is something I used to do with the TomTom units as I hate windscreen sucker mounts - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:16   #3
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

i have the factory fit RTI Sat Nav in the C70 7 a Michelin portable for use in the S80 & 960 ...(each car S80 & 960 Have separate Mounts) so i just grab the "Mitch" & go if I'm NOT driving the C70.

The C70 has a phone kit installed (Bluetooth) & the reason I picked the Michelin is it too has the phone / Bluetooth Phone integration .. so in effect I have "handsfree" in all 3 cars

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:20   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
i have the factory fit RTI Sat Nav in the C70 7 a Michelin portable for use in the S80 & 960 ...(each car S80 & 960 Have separate Mounts) so i just grab the "Mitch" & go if I'm NOT driving the C70.

The C70 has a phone kit installed (Bluetooth) & the reason I picked the Michelin is it too has the phone / Bluetooth Phone integration .. so in effect I have "handsfree" in all 3 cars

Keith
Yes I looked at handsfree, although TBH, I never (or rather extremely rarely) answer the phone when driving as it just sucks my concentration away!!

I have handsfree on the mobile integrated with the car although only answer the 'boss' as she gets mad if I dont..lol..and its a quick call as well..sort of 'eff off I am driving'...!!

Cheers
Old May 18th, 2012, 20:25   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
I have used TomTom products for years until recently, the newer products just don't cut the mustard any longer for a number of reasons:

HD Traffic Live in the UK has been chopped from a 100 mile radius to around 40 which simply isn't enough.

Costly map upgrades when compared to Garmin, also TomTom offer products in the USA for example with free map upgrades for life, not in the UK though.

Their "wonderful" "MapShare" scheme, which is, in principle a great innovative idea but through poor implementation is little more than a "Map Degradation Scheme" IMHO (this is based upon hard experiance of trying to use it) - Long since given up on MapShare)

Integration with Twitter, FaceBook etc. What a joke a Nav unit is for guidance while driving a vehicle, having the ability to access such IM systems while in the car isn't something I agree with at all.

Combine the above points with a pathetic computer application (MyTomTom, which amazingly is worse than the previous TomTom Home PC Software) which you are forced to use to update anything on the newer devices and that was enough for me to jump ship.

I bought a Garmin 3790T about two years ago, it works well and the lifetime map update is for the life of the product, as long as it keeps going I will get new maps every three months. The unit is installed on a Brodit mount rather than the supplied windscreen sucker as this provides a neater installation with no cables in view, this is something I used to do with the TomTom units as I hate windscreen sucker mounts - Mike
Thanks for that.

Its a Garmin 1340 Europe one I was thinking of. Very similar to the Tom Tom in use (well to me anyway!) that I got yesterday, although with the free updates for life.

What I liked about the Tom Tom is the 'smaller' and integrated suction pad which I am going to see if it fits upside down (as the Tom tom 'rights' itself) just on the 'sensus' shelf in the car. The older Tom Tom suction pads were dire and kept falling off the window, although this one is a twist dial and much better.

Regards

Last edited by volvorocks; May 18th, 2012 at 20:28. Reason: CAPITAL 'T'...!!
Old May 18th, 2012, 21:54   #6
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I have my brain and an A to Z road map, costs me about £5/yr and is a damn sight more trustworthy than a sat-nav.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2012, 22:40   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
I have my brain and an A to Z road map, costs me about £5/yr and is a damn sight more trustworthy than a sat-nav.
I have not really ever got lost with a sat nav! Could not be without one (or 2 or 3 or 4...lol)

Must admit I did around 8k miles through Europe without one back on 2001 ish

Regards
Old May 19th, 2012, 00:56   #8
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The first time I ever used a (borrowed) sat-nav, must be about 6 years ago, it took me to the centre of Bristol and then got itself stuck in some kind of loop and instructed me to keep going round a large roundabout ad infinitum. I try to avoid using one whenever possible, especially as they are a distraction at least as bad as being on the phone in my opinion. 5 minutes with the A-Z planning out a route fixes the route in your head and more often than not I don't even need to refer to the map once I'm en route. I guess driving a delivery van hones your direction-finding skills some!
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:31   #9
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
I mean what’s it all about eh?

Manufacturer integrated sat nav for Volvo is well over a grand when good portable units are circa £200. Integrated is not helpful if you have more than one car.
Agreed.
Also, in car tech dates so quickly.
The type of cars I tend to buy are big ol' barges, and the number of BMWs I looked at that still had the (now illegal) corded phone between the two front seat armrests and the (now useless) TV set on the dash is incredible. These toys must have cost the equivalent of a VW Polo back in the day yet my first thought is always, 'how can I rip these out and not leave a mess behind?'

Ditto sat navs. A good few of them are i the £1500-£2000 bracket and take up a sizeable chunk of dashboard real estate, yet are soundly thrashed for performance by a modern £150 Tom tom.

I do have a sat nav but nowadays I rarely go anywhere I haven't been before so I hardly ever need it, but I've been glad of it a few times. Don't ask me what brand it is though, I only bought it because they were doing a few dirt cheap in Morrisons a year or so ago.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:02   #10
LJD
I've Been Banned

I like the tomtom interface .But i also like the Navigon stuff.

But Tomtom take the total pee in regards to map updates etc

far too expensive .I use the "services" of a well know Chines guy in London who has his own little way of providing this service far far cheaper . People seem to hate tomtoms customer service and the way we get shafted by them
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote