Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Starting from cold problem

Views : 22861

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 22:41   #31
morris

The cold start problem appears to be a no start problem as the temp has improved and the 3 faulty glow glugs have been replaced. Only had car a week and has now just refused to start after a good weeks running. I only got a service key with the car. could the immobiliser have been activated somehow (radio transmission?) how would I know. the engine turns and there appears to be fuel at the injectors. Could one be stuck open and preventing the rail pressurising? how can the injectors be tested? I am rapidly going off CR diesels
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 08:32   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Your last sentence is getting near the truth now ,
Yes it's most likely that the rail pressure is leaking off back to the tank through one or two faulty injectors , It's easy to see which one/s :

Take off the rubber return pipes from the tops of the injectors after sliding off the retaining clips , they may be a little tight so some spray lube and some pulling and twisting to free the "O" ring will help .
Put something around each injector to absorb any small amount of fuel .. Get someone to crank the engine and be ready to turn it off when you shout ...
Look for a small fountain from one or two injectors , these will be the faulty ones ...
there should be some small amount of fuel leaking past , but the ones with the heavy flow are leaking the pressure away ... If you have just one which is flowing more than the rest try changing this one first , it might be just enough to cure your problem ...
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 20:09   #33
morris

Default slow to start after cold overnight stand

AA chap easily got S60 D5 engine started after some cranking and Easy Start spray. He suggested that fuel may be draining from engine via an air leak on the return side. I remember Challenger disaster being due to cold O-rings not sealing. I wonder if the cold nights lift the injector O-ring seals on the return circuit to allow fuel to drain back into the tank. I took them off and found them to be backed with corrosion and leaving a black deposit on the bore. Cleaned then up with pin and cotton bud and will replace O-rings. Only after this did I spot Clan's reply which follows the same thread, wish I'd spotted it earlier to carry out that test at the same time. Ongoing.
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 22:28   #34
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Take off the rubber return pipes from the tops of the injectors after sliding off the retaining clips , they may be a little tight so some spray lube and some pulling and twisting to free the "O" ring will help .
Put something around each injector to absorb any small amount of fuel .. Get someone to crank the engine and be ready to turn it off when you shout ...
Look for a small fountain from one or two injectors , these will be the faulty ones ...
there should be some small amount of fuel leaking past , but the ones with the heavy flow are leaking the pressure away ... If you have just one which is flowing more than the rest try changing this one first , it might be just enough to cure your problem ...
Thanks Clan! I'm hopefully going to try this at the weekend to hopefully diagnose my poor starting problem.
As a temporary workaround, would multiple ignition turn ons allow sufficient fuel back into the rail to enable starting.
I really don't want to use any more Easy Start :/
cheshired5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 19:40   #35
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Thanks Clan! I'm hopefully going to try this at the weekend to hopefully diagnose my poor starting problem.
As a temporary workaround, would multiple ignition turn ons allow sufficient fuel back into the rail to enable starting.
I really don't want to use any more Easy Start :/
no , multiple turn ons wont help at all ,,the pump also runs when cranking .
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 14:02   #36
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

I've had a good read through this thread and notice that its several years old and mainly relates to phase I models.
I have a Phase II facelift S60 D5 163bhp 2004 on a '54 plate with 108k miles on the clock, full service history...

Is my car likely to suffer the same problem of failed injectors, or was this mainly Phase I S60's?
I dont have problems starting although it does seem to be slow to turn over, most other cars ive had, had fast starter motors, but it always fires, regardless of temp.

Regards,

Jono
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 14:50   #37
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_angelo View Post
Is my car likely to suffer the same problem of failed injectors, or was this mainly Phase I S60's?
I'm sure you'll get a definitive answer from the more knowledgeable.
In the meantime, you might also want to follow the progress of this thread I started
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=196417
If you have the right diagnostic equipment, you'll be able to spot the signs of deterioration hopefully before they leave you stranded.
Hope that helps a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 15:00   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_angelo View Post
I've had a good read through this thread and notice that its several years old and mainly relates to phase I models.
I have a Phase II facelift S60 D5 163bhp 2004 on a '54 plate with 108k miles on the clock, full service history...

I dont have problems starting although it does seem to be slow to turn over, most other cars ive had, had fast starter motors, but it always fires, regardless of temp.

Regards,

Jono
The injector leak through problem disappeared mainly when the fuel filter changed from the metal can one to the plastic container with replacable element . The D5244T4 ( 185 bhp ) didnt have the problem generaly .
Old Dec 15th, 2014, 19:54   #39
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

My D5 is struggling to start in this cold weather. It does sound like this injector problem.

It is a 2002 185, new heater plugs have not sorted it but a squirt of spray has it up and running right away. Looks like I will be looking for some replacement injectors. I will test them when I get the car
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 14:09   #40
skv70d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The injector leak through problem disappeared mainly when the fuel filter changed from the metal can one to the plastic container with replacable element .
Hi Clan, do you know if the plastic fuel filter can be used on cars that were fitted with the metal fuel filters?
skv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote