Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise control intermittent fault

Views : 4167

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:42   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default Cruise control intermittent fault

It's the first time I have noticed this but yesterday whilst driving the cruise control button wouldn't turn on the function at all. After stopping and turning off the ignition and then turning it back on the cruise control function worked fine again. Has anyone else noticed this occassionally or is this a portent of worse things to come?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:09   #2
400-ascona
Premier Member

I know my brother had this issue once. I think he decided that it was as a result of wheel spin, the cruise control then locked itself out? Not sure if this is true or possible. The problem went away again when he turned off and back on again.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:11   #3
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

The cruise control on my '00 V70 packed up. No faults showed up, and it did baffle the Volvo trained technician a bit. I never did get it sorted, selling the car with the fault.

Last edited by Rossi-fan; Feb 23rd, 2011 at 12:18.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:36   #4
dwaine dibbley

Mine does exactly the same thing, 99 times out of a hundred the cruise comes on, but every now and again the cruise won't activate.

Was told it may be an intermittent fault with the brake light switch, but the brake lights seem ok, and no error messages.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I too would be grateful.

Thanks
dwaine dibbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 13:25   #5
GJB
Premier Member

Had this problem turned out to be the switch on steering wheel (cruise on and off) catching as you switched on if not noticed the cruise control will not work even if you notice it has stuck until the next time you switch the ignition off and then on again.
(Hope this has made sense)
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 14:27   #6
CherokeeDriver

On an old BMW of mine this happened when the ABS sensor started to "wearout". It was fine for ABS and traction control, hence no codes, but wouldn't keep the car at a constant speed. It may be worth swapping some sensors about if anyone knows which wheel is used for cruise control.
CherokeeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 22:05   #7
chb
Master Member

I had this in the very cold weather in november/december. Not had it before or since. Again, it was VERY intermittent. I would tend to believe it was the cruise being de-activated by the car for some reason. No fault code ever came up.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 22:38   #8
dd1898

My cruise control stopped functioning and with mine being a manual transmission the problem was the cruise control switch connected to the clutch pedal had worn out.

There is a write up on volvoforums on how to check it. Basically if you have a manual trans you remove the switch from your clutch pedal(bit awkward as it is on the underside of the dash by the pedals, mine was white with a green connector) and insert a 2000ohm resistor(could be 2500ohm) into the pin connector, if your cruise display comes up then the switch is faulty. Do not drive with the resistors in position
A new one is around £40.

The reason for the sensor being on the clutch pedal is so that it disengages the cruise once the pedal is pressed. Do not drive with the resistors in the connector as the cruise will not switch off.
I am sorry if I am teaching my granny here. Hope this helps.
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 22:59   #9
dd1898

Aha I found it. It was in the S60/80 area. Did not know how to link it so please check the following out.

Hi, this is my first posting, apologies for the length but I thought this might be useful. My car is a 2003 S60 D5 which I'm very pleased with.

Recently I got an Engine Service Required (ESR) message on the DIM and the Cruise had stopped working. I suspected the clutch switch as this was a fault that had been fixed by the dealer when I bought the car some weeks before.

After reading the forums here and doing a bit of investigating, I realised that there was a very small 'weep' of fluid from the clutch master cylinder onto the switch. I also found that if I started the engine with my foot on the clutch the ESR message didn't come on. If I slowly raised the clutch the message came on just before the end of the clutch travel and the Cruise wouldn't engage - see v8disco posting at http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...+switch+cruise In my case there was a tiny amount of brake fluid on the switch but nothing major. I cleaned everything out but it still didn't solve the problem. Note it is quite easy to separate the two parts of the switch to get at the inside.

The swith itself is a carbon track variable resistor which measured a resistance of about 325 Ohm when the clutch pedal is down and about 3000 ohm when up. I reckoned that if I could lower the resistance to say 2000 ohm when the pedal was up then I should be in business again. All I had to do was solder a resistor across the two stiff wires that feed the connector for the wiring loom.

Here's where it gets a little technical, using Ohms Law (1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2) I calculated that an 8200 (8K2) resistance would get the desire result (actually gives me ~2200 Ohm). I nipped down to my local Maplin store and bought an 8K2 ohm 0.6W metal film resistor for 15p (top left p785 on their online catalogue)

I soldered the resistor across the two wires put everything back together and everything works, no DIM message and cruise operates perfectly - the cruise drops out instantly I press the clutch or brake pedal.

I am well pleased with myself.

Hope this may be of some help to others.
dd1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dd1898 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 23:38   #10
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

also there is a brake position sensor in the servo that can fail and cause this problem,worth checking the fault codes.