Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D- Steering lock issue, boot problems and break-ins.

Views : 717

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2020, 14:34   #1
jimbob86

Default S40 2.0D- Steering lock issue, boot problems and break-ins.

Hi all.

I have several problems with my 07 S40 2.0D sport. Some, wheel bearing, shocks and the like I was hoping to get fixed in a garage nearby... but I have other problems preventing me from doing so right now, may be related but not sure.

The primary one at the moment is "Turn Steering Start Again" that started just as I returned and parked up the other day. I have tried turning the wheel to no avail, and just about to take off the trim and give the steering lock a whack. Seen that work sometimes. The wheel bearing being replaced is front O/S if that could have naything to do with it? And I also heard a little clicking from that wheel.

The next problem is the boot/alarm. I am a Tree Surgeon, but they have a car garage too, so we park in the same ind. estate car park. Last year my alarm kept being triggered, so they moaned about it. I found if I put it on reduced guard it didn't. I'm not going in to too many details but they are pretty unscrupulous, and shortly after the moaning the alarm triggering stopped.
Then the boot started popping open when I turned the ignition. Shortly after I mentioned this to them it stopped.. Now it has started again, along with the alarm being triggered.

Recently I have noticed that the boot has been broken in to from the top by the windshield, where the metal lip under the rubber seal has been bent, and possibly through the latch. The plastic surround is damaged. Now, shortly after this... Along with the damage I see that the loom has been messed with and taped back up.
It has been broken in to via the drivers door too.

I'd just like some advice if possible, mainly with the steering lock problem but also opinions on the boot, wiring, alarm etc. And also, is there any wiring under the car, specifically under the underbody/heat shield thing at the rear next to the exhaust box. Because that has come off/been pulled off. If not, last time it went in to my work garage to have a wheel bearing done it didn't feel right, movement on acceleration, is the driveshaft accessed around that area?
I am looking for a new job, because they are scumbags and it could be paranoia but I have never had so many things go wrong since starting working there on this or my last car.

Attaching some pics, if they work.
Steering lock is just "Turn Steering start again"

Boot latch:

Top of Boot:

Wiring:

Thanks

Last edited by jimbob86; May 11th, 2020 at 14:36.
jimbob86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2020, 19:47   #2
daniel84uk

Steering lock is a common problem. It happened to me the first time last month, I cant be bother to work on it until it properly fails. In the mean time i grinded a slot on the safety screws, removed them and replaced them with regular bolts, that way i can remove it easily to play with should i get stuck somewhere. Most just lubricate it and play with the retaining spring. The part is coded to the vehicle, so getting a second hand one isnt an option.

For further analysis, there is some good info on it here. (you will have to sign up)
http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...-with-a-hammer)
daniel84uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 13:46   #3
srcholmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel84uk View Post
Steering lock is a common problem. It happened to me the first time last month, I cant be bother to work on it until it properly fails. In the mean time i grinded a slot on the safety screws, removed them and replaced them with regular bolts, that way i can remove it easily to play with should i get stuck somewhere. Most just lubricate it and play with the retaining spring. The part is coded to the vehicle, so getting a second hand one isnt an option.

For further analysis, there is some good info on it here. (you will have to sign up)
http://www.c30crew.com/forum/showthr...-with-a-hammer)
For what it is worth, my wiring loom looks pretty similar as the wires chafe everytime the boot opens and closes. I opened them up and added lots of wiring tape to protect/mend them.

Obviously the wires to the boot lock run through there so there could be the opportunity for electrical gremlins too (random boot opening for example).

I couldn't tell exactly where the bend was in your pic (under the rubber) but if water was getting in then that wouldn't help with the electrics either.

Finally, the heat shield under the car... It flaps about on mine because the plastic "washers" that hold it to the undertray have mostly disintegrated.

So, while I doubt that this post will particularly help, the issues with the wiring and boot opening could have just been there and could be affected by the damp. And the heatshield issue I suspect is common too.

Sounds like a job somewhere else, away from where you are would be good too...
srcholmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, s40, steering