Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nothing working except cabin lights

Views : 1216

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2021, 13:12   #1
magxc90

Default Nothing working except cabin lights

Hi,
Hope someone can help. I went away for holidays for about a couple of months. Could not unlock car with remote, so manually unlocked the driver door.

Understood the battery was low, so I connected a battery charger for good several hours.

Can't remember if I tried locking/unlocking with the remote, but decided to jump start. I know I connected everything correctly. Started the donor battery car, then tried to start, the dash lights won't come on, neither any ignition. All I hear is a clicks when I rotate the key between positions I, II, and III.

Admittedly, I can't remember the order of when the dash lights went off; whether before trying to jump start or after.

I have checked all fuses, in all three compartments and they are all intact.

A few observations:

1. If I disconnect the battery negative terminal and then reconnect it, the dash lights come on. They automatically turn off after a while but can be turned on or off manually. However, after some time, maybe 5-10 minutes, they can't be turned on or off manually either. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery again, the lights come on. However, they get disabled again.

2. In jump starting configuration, before the ignition, the current flow is around 1.x Amps. When the ignition switch is turned to position II, the current flow changes to nearly 5 Amps. However, nothing happens, as described above.

I have followed pretty much all steps listed in another forum here.

I can't open the doors, neither the tail, from inside the car.

I have replaced the battery on my remote as well, just in case it wasn't sending the signal or something.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I am not inclined to tow it to a garage unless I have a cost estimate. I am looking for an auto electrician/mechanic to come and look so that at least I have an idea of the problem.

Thanks,

Mag
magxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 13:42   #2
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Put the battery on the charger for 24 hours and try again.

Battery might have failed and may need replacing, can you "borrow" one to test everything?

Rule out potential problems one at a time, starting with the source of volts - the battery.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:17   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Put a battery charger on the jumper terminals in the engine bay, wait 10min for the battery to take some charge, then you should be able to unlock the doors

Divide 90Ah by your charger output, add about 50% time, to determine how much time you need to get a full charge.

Eg: A 90Ah battery needs 90 / 5 = 18 hours to fully charge if charging at 5A all the time.
But the charge rate normally drops so you need at least 24hrs on a 5A charger
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 14:51   #4
magxc90

Thanks Harley and SwissXC90.

The scenario I have described in observation 1 is after I took out the battery and left it connected to my charger for almost a week. I have been in touch with the battery supplier over email (as the battery is in warranty) and according to the voltage reading, they believe the battery is fine. I don't know how can I be sure, perhaps, other than having a loner battery as Harley Dave suggested above. My battery charger tells me the battery is good (although it may not be very smart).
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 16:27   #5
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Understood, thanks

Can you try the battery in another vehicle? (Just to rule it out as the cause of the problem)

After that, assuming the battery is OK, it sounds like a bad connection somewhere (electrically) close to the battery - a bad earth connection is sometimes the problem when there are multiple issues occurring.

I think you will be best getting an auto electrician to pay you a visit as (s)he will have more comprehensive test kit etc., and ought to be able to pinpoint the cause, and hopefully the fix.

Cheers

Dave
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 17:09   #6
reggit
Premier Member

Sounds like a cell has failed and the battery is sucking all the power from the donor vehicle (to put it simply). What voltage does it read an hour or more after being charged?
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 20:19   #7
magxc90

Hi Reggit,

Thanks for the suggestion. Clarification on measuring the voltage. Should I leave the battery connected to the vehicle for measuring voltage an hour or so after I remove the charger, as you suggested, or should it be disconnected from the vehicle?
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 23:44   #8
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I would charge it off the vehicle, leave it, then measure terminal voltage.

Perhaps leave a further hour and measure again, still off the vehicle.

Then, if you can, repeat each hour for 6 readings making a note of the values you find and let us know what you find.

This is to try to isolate the problem to being either the battery or the car.

Hence the need to electrically separate the two for both the charging and the testing.

If this isn't obvious to you, or doesn't make sense, may I respectfully suggest (again) you call in an auto electrician?

Cheers

Dave
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 21:34   #9
magxc90

Update:

I disconnected the battery from the car and brought it inside. Measuring the initial voltage in the car, then, turning the key to ignition, here are the readings:

Initial: 13.4v
Ignition: 12.5

Since then, took the battery out of the car (that was last night). It has been sitting inside the house since last night and voltage readings have been stable.

Last night: 9:15pm - 12.86V
Last night: 10:15pm - 12.84V
This morning through afternoon - all readings have been around 12.8V

Heading to the local Halfords to get the battery tested.
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 08:33   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

That all looks normal
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start no crank, xc90