Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 diesel problems

Views : 4427

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 20:38   #11
madmarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Only other thing I can think off is the fuel pressure regulator, located on the high pressure fuel pump.
yer we thought that aswell. we replaced the pump so would have thought it would have fixed it. we also stripped down the old one and that appeared to be working fine aswell.
madmarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 20:56   #12
gatos
Premier Member

Damn it. Then I am going back to the ECU theory..........

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 23:41   #13
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Sensor on the fuel rail itself?
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 08:53   #14
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

Check if there is a fuel coming from fuel return pipe/s when you are crancking the engine, If there isn't any then it is likely that a camshaft sensor is gone thus not supplying a diesel to the injectors. If it is ok then unplug the fuel pressure sensor, boost pressure sensor, EGR cable, camshaft sensor it should display an error on the dashboard, if not then there is a problem with ecu or the cables going to and from ecu, most likely the wiring loom under the radiator...
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:03   #15
littlehomer
Master Member

There's a wiring loom that runs from behind one of the wheel arches, behind the headlamp and then down under the radiator. It is prone to water saturation and the wires can corrode and insulation split etc. It can lead to some funky electrical problems. There's a guide to repairing it on here somewhere.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 19:06   #16
madmarf

ok guys, thanks, i will try and look at the loom tomorow and will get back to you.
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 16:37   #17
madmarf

ok so i stripped the radiator loom to find it in perfect working order. all tested from end to end ok. i checked the cam sensor to be sure and fuel does flow out of the return on the HP pump. i think were edging towards the ecu. can anyone tell me if i get a replacement ecu, will DICE be able to reprogramme it? do i need any codes etc... ive just ordered a dice today. also to be sure as theres so many, which location is the ecu in?
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 18:11   #18
gatos
Premier Member

You are lucky as the ECU is not a lot easily accessible on the 1.9D than the petrol version. I have highlighted it with the yellow oval shaped circle.

If you change the ECU, then you will have to program the keys to the system and only volvo can do that for you. DICE will not be able to do it for you.

Another option is to get a complete lockset which includes the ECU, the immobiliser and the corresponding key. In case you have the flip key which has the fob incorporated within the key, you will also need to get the locking alarm unit. This way, you will not need any programming at all.

I have a complete lockset with two keys and I will be swapping it on my 1.9D to see if it works. If it does, then I will be replacing it on my car and will have a spare complete lockset with one key
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nz8la09o630jkp3nm69m.jpg (233.7 KB, 8 views)

Nullius in Verba
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 18:31   #19
madmarf

ah, ok, yer i thought that was the main ecu. do you know why it isnt possible to reprogramme a new ecu? why its volvo only and dice cant do it?
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 20:15   #20
gatos
Premier Member

They need to download the right software for that. Programming the old keys with the replacement ECU is meant to be a security/safety thing. Also, not 100% sure but I think the immobiliser unit must also be programmed with the ECU

Nullius in Verba