Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hissing from aircon

Views : 1386

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2017, 10:56   #1
Simiewimie

Default Hissing from aircon

Hi.

I'm hoping somebody may know what is causing the air-conditioning in my XC90 to hiss. it sounds as though it is coming from towards the back of the dash, at the foot of the windscreen. I can stop it by turning of air conditioning and it just being the fans, but I also noticed yesterday that it drops whilst accelerating past 2500 rpm.

Any ideas?
Many thanks.
Simiewimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:21   #2
Fliegenpilz

I got the same hiss. It sounds like a CD changer missing tracks or like tiny bubbles passing through the aircon pipes, a bit like a fridge. I have been to the garage 3-4 time son this and they took out the centre console and found that that a tiny rubber pipe that is connected to the aircon exchanger is supposed to direct cold air to the sensus display which needs cooling and they recon that is the source. Been waiting for a few weeks now for that part from Volvo and not even sure if that will solve it. I keep thinking it is to do with the refridgerant flow and bubbles. When I switch off the aircon it stops so definitely aircon and also definitely right behind centre console. Drives me nuts when driving.
Fliegenpilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:50   #3
XCF
Master Member

I've got exactly the same so watching this thread with interest.

I wondered if a regas was an idea but it does blow cold...just noisy!
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 11:09   #4
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCF View Post
I've got exactly the same so watching this thread with interest.

I wondered if a regas was an idea but it does blow cold...just noisy!
How many miles have all your cars done? Interested to understand how much the air conditioning is likely to have been used, before this happened.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 13:19   #5
Simiewimie

Just to update:

I had the air-con re-gassed, and so far so good.

My XC90 has done 116000.
Simiewimie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simiewimie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 17:29   #6
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

In my experience this is likely due to the a/c gas getting low - the system leaks gas over time as the R-22 refrigerant molecules are small enough to escape through the hoses!
I have an XJS which has a very small leak and needs re-gassing every year as too small to find and lasts whole season; I know the gas is low as it hisses and gurgles. This is always in the evaporator which sits behind the dashboard in the heater box - this is the same design as most cars so if you are hearing a hiss behind the dashboard then my guess is you need a re-gas.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 20:24   #7
XCF
Master Member

Mine has also done about 115k mikes (2010 car) so sounds like I need to get it regassed. Is Kwik-fit a safe enough choice here for a simple re-gas ?
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 21:17   #8
XCF
Master Member

Took it to Kwikfit today. They said there was very little in it but when they re-gassed it they spotted an issue with the low pressure schrader valve leaking. They didn't charge me but now I have to try and fix that.
Does anyone know if it's worth trying to tighten the valve in if I buy the valve tool?

Also with the bonnet open there is a loud(ish) noise when I turn on the aircon. Are there any basic checks I can follow to work out what this is ?

Thanks