Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 xc90 wipers randomly coming on.

Views : 2584

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2017, 10:24   #11
aslan
From far away

I went through similar issues with my wipers

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=252724

A 'repaired' CEM from Xemodex solved it. With mine it wasn't corrosion but I believe a short circuit.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 15:39   #12
xarlock667

SO! I am at a loss. I have a 2009 XC90 that has a CEM that has all the same connections, and is also an H type. I pulled it, swapped it, and it kept doing the exact same thing. If it was the CEM then it would have stopped when I put in the replacement.

And for ****s and giggles and at the urging of a friend, I took the wiper assembly and put it on the 2009 xc90 to see if it was the issue. It preformed perfectly, and so has been eliminated as a suspect.

SO! Since it is not the CEM and it is not the relays, and it is not the fuses, and it is not the wiper motor assembly, what in Zandru's Nine Hells can it be??? If I was not already bald I would be pulling my hair out!!!

I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions. Please help.
xarlock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 16:32   #13
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarlock667 View Post
SO! I am at a loss. I have a 2009 XC90 that has a CEM that has all the same connections, and is also an H type. I pulled it, swapped it, and it kept doing the exact same thing. If it was the CEM then it would have stopped when I put in the replacement.

And for ****s and giggles and at the urging of a friend, I took the wiper assembly and put it on the 2009 xc90 to see if it was the issue. It preformed perfectly, and so has been eliminated as a suspect.

SO! Since it is not the CEM and it is not the relays, and it is not the fuses, and it is not the wiper motor assembly, what in Zandru's Nine Hells can it be??? If I was not already bald I would be pulling my hair out!!!

Tried the stalk or its connections?
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 16:48   #14
xarlock667

Yes, I pulled the stalk and tried it in the other xc90.
Good suggestion, got any more?
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 16:50   #15
aslan
From far away

Quote:

To clarify, what do you mean you swap in a replacement? Did the replacement one came with the same software coded to your car's VIN? When I sent my CEM for repair, Xemodex first made sure they have a donor CEM with the same number as mine. But that wasn't enough or they could've have simply sold me that donor CEM. I had to send my old CEM so that they could extract the data or whatever on my CEM and transfer it to the donor CEM. Then only the donor CEM would be good to go on my car.

All the CEM I believe visually looks the same for the H type. Mine is a H type.

I went through the swapping the wiper assembly myself too ... you're not the only one
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 17:10   #16
xarlock667

To start and run the vehicle, you have to have a properly coded CEM. That is not what I am doing. I just wanted to see if the problem was in the CEM, or another system. I pulled the CEM from the 2009 XC90 and I put it in the 2005 XC90, then without even attempting to start it, I put the key in the RUN position (2 clicks over, just shy of cranking it.)

When I did that, it powered most of the car's systems, including the thing that is screwed up. Whatever the hells it is, it came on and the wipers went nutz instantly wiping and stopping whenever they felt like it.

IF it was the CEM, then the new CEM would have stopped it. Thus eliminating the CEM as a suspect. (Sadly, as I have a used one available for 75 and I think a scanner I have access to can program it.)

SO, Still looking for ideas! Any and all welcome!
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 23:25   #17
xarlock667

Bump
I still really need help on this.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 00:13   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
IF it was the CEM, then the new CEM would have stopped it. Thus eliminating the CEM as a suspect.
You've lost me here.

Using your logic, if the current CEM is at fault, it can be rectified by fitting a donor CEM but if the donor CEM doesn't work, the original CEM isn't faulty?! ...... this isn't the case.

Use Dice and Vida or you'll be on this for a long time.
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 14:56   #19
poiuytre111

Given the age of the car, I personally would consider a bodge repair i.e. control the wiper from a new switch entirely independantly.

You appear to know that the blue wire is causing the problem so what happens if you cut it and then perhaps switch the wiper end of it to either earth or 12v ?

Older cars would typically have two live feeds to a wiper, one to start operation and a second that routes through a contact in the gearbox so that it can continue after being turned off to return to the park position. (On a front wiper there would be a third connection for the high speed setting.) If you provide a switched feed to the first of those two power connections you might have more control of your errant wipers.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 15:52   #20
xarlock667

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You've lost me here.

Using your logic, if the current CEM is at fault, it can be rectified by fitting a donor CEM but if the donor CEM doesn't work, the original CEM isn't faulty?! ...... this isn't the case.

Use Dice and Vida or you'll be on this for a long time.
My logic is that the donor CEM does not have the fault. If the fault is still there despite having the non-faulty part, then the problem lies elsewhere. Same with wiper assembly, I put it in the newer xc90 and it performed flawlessly, put it in the old one and it screws up.

SO, that being the case, I fail to see how it could be the CEM (Though I do think it should be replaced, it is not up to me.)