Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 xc90 wipers randomly coming on.

Views : 2587

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2017, 15:57   #21
xarlock667

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
Given the age of the car, I personally would consider a bodge repair i.e. control the wiper from a new switch entirely independantly.

You appear to know that the blue wire is causing the problem so what happens if you cut it and then perhaps switch the wiper end of it to either earth or 12v ?

Older cars would typically have two live feeds to a wiper, one to start operation and a second that routes through a contact in the gearbox so that it can continue after being turned off to return to the park position. (On a front wiper there would be a third connection for the high speed setting.) If you provide a switched feed to the first of those two power connections you might have more control of your errant wipers.
I had actually thought of this, I consider it more than moderately stupid to run ALL a vehicle's electrical connections through a single module that is not air tight, and sealed. Get some water in there and you screw your whole vehicle and can conceivably even cause a wreck. That said, I want to keep the vehicle as original as possible.
xarlock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 20:52   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarlock667 View Post
I had actually thought of this, I consider it more than moderately stupid to run ALL a vehicle's electrical connections through a single module that is not air tight, and sealed. Get some water in there and you screw your whole vehicle and can conceivably even cause a wreck. That said, I want to keep the vehicle as original as possible.
The way to repair this is as i described in my post#8 above .
The reason the wipers go all the time is because the communication network isn't working properly . The wiper motor relies on a good OFF signal to keep the wipers off , otherwise by default with no instructions to turn them off they run all the time for safety ...
Old Jul 20th, 2017, 23:11   #23
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

So - given that he has swapped out the CEM, could the problem be with the multi-way plugs?? (which presumably haven't been changed - yet)

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 15:33   #24
xarlock667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
So - given that he has swapped out the CEM, could the problem be with the multi-way plugs?? (which presumably haven't been changed - yet)

Cheers

Dave
I have not swapped them, and I am not sure how it would be done. Whatcha got? And does ANYONE have a wiring diagram? That would be epic!

I DO know that whatever is causing the power surge happens before the relay. I know this because when I pulled the relay, I checked the socket for power and it was going on and off randomly as the wipers were. Can anyone check into this and find out if the power comes before or after the CEM?
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 15:35   #25
xarlock667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The way to repair this is as i described in my post#8 above .
The reason the wipers go all the time is because the communication network isn't working properly . The wiper motor relies on a good OFF signal to keep the wipers off , otherwise by default with no instructions to turn them off they run all the time for safety ...
Remember, I swapped the CEM for a good one and the problem continued without even pausing. I would LIKE to replace the CEM just because of the corrosion that was there, but it is not up to me. And while the do run, it is off and on, not continual.

Thanks for the help, keep it coming!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 16:32   #26
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
And does ANYONE have a wiring diagram? That would be epic!
Epic is easy:
http://www.volvowiringdiagrams.com/?...ing%20Diagrams
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 19:41   #27
xarlock667

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
You are an AMAZING person!
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 22:26   #28
xarlock667

Default Fixed it!!!

FINALLY!!! There is a set of wires under the OVERHEAD CONSOLE. One had been pinched almost in half and it was causing a short circuit! I cut and spliced the wire, packed everything as neatly as I could, and then I tested it... VICTORY!!! NO CEM, NO WIPER MODULE, NOT A FUSE AND NOT A RELAY!!! a stupid damned pinched wire!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 15:16   #29
aslan
From far away

Quote:
FINALLY!!! There is a set of wires under the OVERHEAD CONSOLE. One had been pinched almost in half and it was causing a short circuit! I cut and spliced the wire, packed everything as neatly as I could, and then I tested it... VICTORY!!! NO CEM, NO WIPER MODULE, NOT A FUSE AND NOT A RELAY!!! a stupid damned pinched wire!

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Excellent! Wish it was this a cheap fix for previous my CEM issue. When you say the overhead console, you meant the light assembly in front the rear view mirror?
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 15:22   #30
gmonag
Premier Member

Presumably the wiring to the rain sensor.