Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turning off the daytime running lights

Views : 37088

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 20:08   #11
Aardvark S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Also, side-lights don't really resolve the frequent bulb-blowing, as it affects the rear lamps as well as the fronts,
???? Errmmm, if the front H7 dip beam bulbs are not operating then they will last far far longer. Please advise if I have dementia setting in.
Aardvark S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 20:25   #12
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark S60 View Post
???? Errmmm, if the front H7 dip beam bulbs are not operating then they will last far far longer. Please advise if I have dementia setting in.
Clearly the H7s will last longer, but nothing I said contradicted that. I merely pointed out that early failure of the H7s is only one part of the problem.

Apologies if I appeared argumentative, it wasn't my intent.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 09:12   #13
derek vivian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Also, side-lights don't really resolve the frequent bulb-blowing, as it affects the rear lamps as well as the fronts, which would still be on. It would also cause the front sidelights to fail sooner though, arguably, that's less of a road-safety issue.

Incidentally, I don't agree with other recent comments playing down the problem of short bulb-life. At about 20k miles per year, I probably average about 2 headlamp bulbs and 1 tail lamp bulb each year. That doesn't sound much, but it's a heck of a lot worse than any other car I've owned recently.

Other half's Polo is 7 years & 60k miles, and I've only ever changed one headlamp bulb and two brake lamps.
My V70 D5 2004 doesn't have the facility for me to deactivate the daylight running lights. I shall have this done when I am next in the independent dealer Braydons later this year. Until then I shall switch to sidelights when travelling in daylight remembering to switch to '0' when I switch off the engine. My previous model, 940 celebration, had dim/dip and this was not so bad. I prefer not having headlights on when not required because of visibilty if only because headlights can prevent a driver approaching from seeing a cyclist (and I am a cyclist!) who might be passing a car. There are too many drivers who stop facing trafic and with headlights on. This is so dangerous because the ehadlights are dipped towards oncoming vehicles. This is now as common as parking on pavements - another bugbear of mine!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 16:54   #14
taffy turbo

I'd like to switch mine off as well I have S80 on a 99 plate.
I would like to fit hid and having the lights come on the go off as i crank the motor and then come back on will cause prem failure in ballast and bulbs, having them off and switch them on when required will be nice
taffy turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 21:03   #15
bembo449

its going to be law soon that ALL cars built have DRL's , they dont help people see you any better though ! lol
bembo449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 13:47   #16
te2800

Default lights

i just turn mine on to sidelights when running!
te2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 13:56   #17
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by te2800 View Post
i just turn mine on to sidelights when running!
It is a good compromise, however if you forget to switch them off, your battery will drain as they will stay on with the car locked.

chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 20:22   #18
jim annandale
Master Member

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?167104

To turn your DRLs off you need access to Dice and then follow the above link.
jim annandale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 21:06   #19
TiredGeek
Master Member

DRLs are for the benefit of good drivers, if you force a car to have it's lights on at all times then the cretins on the roads cannot drive in poor conditions without lights and you can see them!
I've lost count of the number of times I've come across cars driving in VERY foggy weather with no lights whatsoever, or rain, or snow.
Compulsory DRLs would sort that.

Or they would if they were being implemented sensibly.

I've noticed that most, if not all the newer LED DRL equipped cars don't have tail lights on.
So now we have the retard behind the wheel thinking they have lights on and driving merrily along 20mph slower than the flow of traffic in poor conditions or even at night with no rears.
Surely it wasn't too hard to use LED rear lights at the same time as the front DRL so this situation couldn't come about. Whoever thought up this new regulation gave too much credit to the intelligence of the average motorist...

OK, if you really don't like to use your lights in daylight, get 'em turned off. But, because you even knew they were on in the first place makes it far more likely you'll turn 'em back on again when weather conditions demand them. So that's not a biggy
As for reducing bulb life... well, mine are all still original Volvo bulbs 6 years and 78k miles down the road, and my DRL are on.
I bet it's cost me a whole £1 to have used them all that time, the horror!

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiredGeek For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 07:57   #20
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
................OK, if you really don't like to use your lights in daylight, get 'em turned off. But, because you even knew they were on in the first place makes it far more likely you'll turn 'em back on again when weather conditions demand them. So that's not a biggy
As for reducing bulb life... well, mine are all still original Volvo bulbs 6 years and 78k miles down the road, and my DRL are on.
I bet it's cost me a whole £1 to have used them all that time, the horror!
But then you've got 'long life' xenons

Having said that, long life (but slightly reduced brightness) H7 halogens are readily available although I tend to use Osram Nightbreakers. DRL's are off but I tend to turn the lights on for my early morning (6:30am) drive anyway apart from in the very sunny weather we have now. Lifetime about 7-9 months per dipped bulb.