Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How long do pads last?

Views : 1999

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:00   #1
jackthehat.co.uk

Default How long do pads last?

I know this is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" but can I have some replies on how many miles you folks are getting out of your front brake pads?

Mine needs new discs and pads on the front and I am considering paying through the nose at Kwik-Fit to take advantage of their lifetime guarantee. If the general feeling from you all is that the pads last for ages then I may not bother. If they wear like hell then I think the Kwik-Fit route may pay off as I keep my cars for a long time and relish the thought of free brake pads and discs every few years courtesy of the Kwik-Fit boys.
jackthehat.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:19   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthehat.co.uk View Post
I know this is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string" but can I have some replies on how many miles you folks are getting out of your front brake pads?

Mine needs new discs and pads on the front and I am considering paying through the nose at Kwik-Fit to take advantage of their lifetime guarantee. If the general feeling from you all is that the pads last for ages then I may not bother. If they wear like hell then I think the Kwik-Fit route may pay off as I keep my cars for a long time and relish the thought of free brake pads and discs every few years courtesy of the Kwik-Fit boys.
Sorry, but I would avoid KwikFit at all costs. Last time I used them, they neglected to torque up a set of wheel nuts on the car. That was their second life. The first one they lost when they dented both my front wings because instead of using 2 trolley jacks on a lowered car, they tried to use a lift by getting two fitters to try and lift the front of the car whilst a third drove it onto the ramp.

Also, the guarantee relates ONLY to pads. You still have to pay for any discs that need replacing...and I wonder how often you'll only need the pads according to KwikFit?

Changing the front discs and pads is a simple job, and can be done in an hour by a complete amateur (i.e. me). Also, the guarantee relates ONLY to pads. You still have to pay for any discs that need replacing...and I wonder how often you'll only need the pads according to KwikFit?

Last edited by Nunchukhamster; Jan 27th, 2008 at 10:53.
Nunchukhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:49   #3
Ben 77
Ben 77

I have to agree with Hamster.Avoid Kwikfit at all costs,have had a couple of bad experiences with them ages ago and have never used them since.Monkeys with spanners and no knowledge comes to mind.

Ben.
Ben 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:15   #4
jackthehat.co.uk

Thanks folks, I also don't like Kwik-Fit much but thought I might give it a go. Anyway, I've just got a price from them... £230!!! So on price alone they can forget it!

Looks like I'll be getting my tool box out again.

Does anyone know if there's a warning light when the pads get low? There's no point putting them on until I have to.
jackthehat.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

No there is no warning light , thats what regular maintenance is for ! Bearing in mind that the pads won't wear at all as long as you dont press the brake pedal , in practice front pads last on average 50000 miles , and rear around double that . Sometimes a lot longer if you are up and down the motorway all the time . If you are a heavy braking type of driver they could last 30000 miles but you would probaly need discs too at the same time .
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:43   #6
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

http://www.volvo.car-brakes.co.uk/

Discs for V70 about £29 each
Set of front pads about £35

PFV Volvo genuine parts Front Pads about £49, Discs about £62.

Using Volvo genuine, you'd still save lots of money, and might even better PFV's price at your dealer with members discount. Don't know what quack fit use, but bet they aren't genuine!

About 3/4 hour a side for front discs and pads even for an old codger like me! Just make sure you have a 7mm allen key first!! (If yours is a later car)
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:44   #7
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

What`s the minimum pad thickness for when they need replaced? Mine are looking a lttle thin!
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:50   #8
John_C
Allons-y!

£230!

That's not actually all that bad because of course they are using genuine Volvo parts not cheap pattern knock-offs.

Ohhh.... no, wait........

Rip off merchants. That lifetime guarentee is just a bet that most people won't bother to come back down the line because they'll have forgotten about it etc. If everyone who takes it out uses the service properly they'd go bankrupt.

Now there's a thought

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:54   #9
4 forty
VOC Member

Default brake supplier

thank you for this alec.
paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:59   #10
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Just make sure you have a 7mm allen key first!! (If yours is a later car)
Plus 1! I didn't, but was fortunate enough to have another car to go and buy one with LOL

Also, try asking Rufe on here for his prices, he is a Volvo maindealer but looks after us well. He sells the genuine front pads (my last set cost £30 I think from him).