Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel filter housing burst

Views : 2924

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2014, 17:14   #1
Nick 1975

Angry Fuel filter housing burst

Hi, today whilst driving at about 10mph into a hospital car park I heard a thud at the rear drivers side wheel arch, the car stalled and wouldn't move. I then realised that diesel was leaking heavily from the area near the back arch.
Having had a look I realised a problem with the filter housing and called to get the 2007 XC90 towed away.
The garage have just rang to say they cans source a new housing anywhere in Europe! How can that be true?...
Has anybody had a similar issue, know what to do to resolve or have a housing for sale? I am currently off the road at the mercy of Volvo!
Any help greatfully received.
Nick 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 17:36   #2
A lex
Premier Member

You can buy the housing from Volvo, but it comes as part of the entire assembly that is bolted to the underside of the car (costing about £150-180 from memory), Volvo wont just sell it to you as a separate filter housing.

Unless something has drastically changed in the last 12 months, I cant imagine what they say about not being able to find one is true... when I enquired it was a 24h order in part.... more likely your garage cant find someone to sell them the standalone part, which makes sense in light of what I have just told you.

If you are desperate id suggest ponying up the big £££ for the part direct from your local dealer, otherwise start ringing breakers!

I damaged my housing when changing the filter; it took 2 days and hours on the phone before I finally found a breaker with stock. The problem seemed to be that they didnt class it as a valuable part, and because its attached to the chassis it was nearly always crushed with the shell. I eventually paid £30 for a 2nd hand item.

Be careful when calling breakers, as they often think you are talking about the earlier type metal filter, even though you specifically and repeatedly tell them its a plastic housing. I had two breakers send me metal filters, if it was possible to reach through a telephone and throttle someone, I would have!
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 20:13   #3
deeppockets

My wife got stuck on the way to work when the fuel filter housing split on our 2006 (110k miles), dumped diesel all over the road. Initially hoped it had burst the filter o-ring but found the housing had split along the canister threads and sprayed high pressure fuel out. What a poor design Volvo.

Duff unit out (screws on top - another poor design). Replacement whole unit on order.
deeppockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:15   #4
laundryman
The Engineer

Mine went on my 2008 model. The new housing is a different design.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:08   #5
JRL
Master Member

I had a new fuel filter fitted a couple of years ago and wanted it changed again at the last service. The mechanic I use advised against it, housing too easily damaged he said. So going to wait now until it needs done.
Old May 11th, 2017, 18:33   #6
deeppockets

I had not changed my filter for some time and now wondering whether a blocking filter caused a back pressure in the cannister which overstressed the housing. Change the filter and risk damaging the filter case, don't change it and risk rupturing the filter case.
deeppockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 06:05   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppockets View Post
I had not changed my filter for some time and now wondering whether a blocking filter caused a back pressure in the cannister which overstressed the housing. Change the filter and risk damaging the filter case, don't change it and risk rupturing the filter case.
Once again showing that preventative maintenance (changing filters at specified intervals) is well worth it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote