Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol in a diesel car – misfueling.

Views : 17454

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 23:21   #21
mrooke
VOC Member

I've just bought my first ever diesel car, an XC90 and after I mis fuelled a works van several years ago (embarassing but we're all human), was worried about a repeat incident with my own car.

I found a useful gadget, (I hope), on fleabay, that verbally reminds you twice, that your car is diesel, when the fuel flap is opened.

I bought this one but there are others:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THiNK-DIESEL-a...item562d9ee052

Just search for 'think diesel', if the above link fails to work once fleabay remove the old listing.
mrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:59   #22
RFW

Another good option to reduce the chance of misfuelling is the Fuel Angel (http://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk). It provides a mechanical obstruction to putting the wrong fuel gun into the filler neck.
RFW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RFW For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:48   #23
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

or this...http://www.stopdieselmisfuelling.co.uk
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 16:37   #24
mrooke
VOC Member

Thanks RFW and bobdabuilda, I wasn't aware that these products were even available.

I have bought the Fuel Angel that you mention RFW, currently on offer for £35 delivered. Thats how worried I am about a repeat incident. A physical barrier is better than a verbal warning.
mrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 18:11   #25
Cheshire

Hi,
about an hour ago I did the same thing in my s60 D5 except it was nearly empty and I filled it to the brim (with petrol) arrrrrrgh!!!!. Your message brought me down from a state of extreme frustration to a milder really annoyed with myself level. I am at this moment draining the tank via the fuel filter although with less ground clearance than your XC90 I am expect it to take some what longer than you. I Know there's a high probability that the engine will be a write off but I have to try.
Thankyou for your very useful message. I will let you know what happens.
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheshire For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 18:42   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Hi,
about an hour ago I did the same thing in my s60 D5 except it was nearly empty and I filled it to the brim (with petrol) arrrrrrgh!!!!. Your message brought me down from a state of extreme frustration to a milder really annoyed with myself level. I am at this moment draining the tank via the fuel filter although with less ground clearance than your XC90 I am expect it to take some what longer than you. I Know there's a high probability that the engine will be a write off but I have to try.
Thankyou for your very useful message. I will let you know what happens.
You will be ok , the worst problem is storing and disposing of the wasted fuel , it could take you 3 hours to empty the tank like that , when the gauge reads empty fill the tank to the brim with diesel and off you go again ...
IF the fuel flow stops before the gauge reads empty then screw the filter and housing back in and spend about 15 minutes turning the ignition on for batches of 15 seconds to pump fuel from the left side of the tank to the right , where you can then carry on draining as you are ...
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 23:55   #27
Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS XC90 View Post
Just thought I would post this in case anyone else is stupid enough to make the same mistake as me and put petrol into a diesel D5 tank on an XC90.
Last night I decided to top up the tank as I was going on a long journey today. I have no defence or reason but picked up the petrol nozzle and put 26L of petrol into my car. This raised the fuel level in the tank to the brim.
Not realising I drove the car home (about 1 to 2 miles). No problems or unusual engine issues on the way. Got inside and put the receipt away when I noticed the “unleaded” on the receipt. I went out to look at the car about an hour after I came home and tried to crank for a normal period of time and the car did not start (I was going to put it in the garage so I could look to drain the tank).
With guidance from Mike (big thanks) and others on here I drained the tank by taking of the small finger tight nut at the bottom of the fuel filter situated in front of the back wheel on the off side. I managed to drain approximately 45L through this hole (it took about 3 hrs to do this) by just putting containers underneath it and letting the fuel flow out. After the 45L the flow stopped. This left 25L still in the tank. When looking under the car there is only one tank but its split into two as it goes over the propshaft onto each side. I decided that the remaining 25L was still in the tank on the far side but could not see a way of getting it out.
Others may not agree with this but I am simply relaying my experiences. The get the remaining 25L out I had to turn the ignition on so the fuel pump would pump the fuel from the near side to equal the level on both sides of the propshaft (which I believe it does normally). It took another 1.5hrs to 2 hrs to get the remaining 25L of fluid out of the car.
From here I have simply filled it back up with diesel (won’t make the same mistake again) and started the car. To be fair the car did need a bit of cracking which I did in short bursts. It made one attempt to start and then died again. After this a few more cranks and the car started and settled down quickly. I left it ticking over for 15mins and then went out in it. All seems normal to me but wife says it sound quieter (it isn’t but it did make me laugh).
I realise there will be people who feel I have not done this correctly but I just thought I would write down my experience for future reference. At present the car seems just fine. If this changes in the coming months I will attach an update to this to warn others. If no update please assume I got away with it and all is well.
Hope it helps someone – but the best advice I can give is spend that extra second to check you are holding the right nozzle when it comes to filling up. That way you don’t spend a day sh!tting yourself that the engine is knackered.
I filled up my s60 D5 (6 hours ago) from nigh on empty with unleaded and drove home 2-3 miles with no problem. When I went to go out shortly afterwards it didn't start, in a flash I realized what I had done before trying to turn it over again. I knew this was a major error and went a bit berzerk. Desperate to avoid paying astronomical main dealer, got you by the testicles prices, I searched the 'net for advice and found your message. I have just finished draining the tank and removed the filter. (I now have 10 years worth of lawn mower fuel!). Tomorrow I will buy a new filter and investigate draining and priming the remaining fuel lines although I read yours started after a cough and splutter without doing this. I know theres a fair chance it wont work but you have given me hope which will allow me to sleep tonight. So a big THANK YOU for taking the trouble to post your misfuel tale in such detail.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:33   #28
Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You will be ok , the worst problem is storing and disposing of the wasted fuel , it could take you 3 hours to empty the tank like that , when the gauge reads empty fill the tank to the brim with diesel and off you go again ...
IF the fuel flow stops before the gauge reads empty then screw the filter and housing back in and spend about 15 minutes turning the ignition on for batches of 15 seconds to pump fuel from the left side of the tank to the right , where you can then carry on draining as you are ...
Hi
Thanks for your message, In my panicked state I got a bit confused with my messages. I now have a frustrating wait until the easter break is over to buy a new fuel filter before I can try to start the engine up again.
I will update on the outcome later.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:42   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

why not just let the filter drain for a few hours and refit it? It is not as if there are dirt particles in it , just petrol which will soon dilute , your volvo dealer will be open tomorrow to get a new filter..
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 23:39   #30
Cheshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
why not just let the filter drain for a few hours and refit it? It is not as if there are dirt particles in it , just petrol which will soon dilute , your volvo dealer will be open tomorrow to get a new filter..
When I drained the tank the first 20 litres or so was a bit cloudy so I figured it was best to replace the filter to make sure it wasn't clogged, no other debris as such. Any idea what might cause that?