Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starter isn't getting battery power intermittently.

Views : 606

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2024, 08:48   #11
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Well I remover the spade connection on the solenoid, and sprayed it with switch cleaner. This didn't cure the problem. I would have thought that the removal and replacement would have improved the connection if that was the problem.

I guess i need to swop the starters, and give this one a birthday scrub up.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:27   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'Intermittent' faults invariably are always a right royal pain in the proverbial to locate, aren't they, 'Offgrid'? I'm also sure that your persistence will eventually be rewarded in a successful outcome!

Regards, John.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 12:38   #13
bob12
bob12

I don't know if changing the actual ignition switch on the end of the the ignition lock (2 screws) has been suggested but, if everything else is OK this is the last thing you haven't tested. They don't usually pay up. New ones ain't cheap though.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2024, 13:32   #14
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I was impressed with the suggestion that there could be a problem with the engine earthing, and I can't find the suggested braided earth strap. I've just invested a fiver at Halfords, and bought a 12 inch one. I don't really like Halfords, but their store is opposite the Sainsbury's where I'm drinking a coffee. I'll attach it to the chassis where the secondary battery earth is connected, and I'm tempted to bolt the other end to the exhaust manifold, but it's pretty rusty. I may try for an alternative attachment point in case I snap the stud.
I'm going to look after a friend's dog tomorrow morning, and he is going to help me. This entails making sure that no cats run off with any tools, and licking me in the face when I am under the car. I'll swop the starters then.

I did check through the box of spare parts that came with the car, and I hoped there would be a spare starter in there, but no such luck. I did find an ignition module - Bosch 0 227 100 124, but Google doesn't seem to think that is for a Volvo. It might indicate that the car has had some ignition problems in the past, so I guess that means more research.

Trying to revive and run 3 classic vehicles ( is an LDV convoy a classic? ) is certainly fun and intellectually stimulating.
Save Old Cars
Old May 2nd, 2024, 17:47   #15
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Ignition key bypass

Maybe I missed it, but did you try bypassing the ignition key switch by applying 12V directly onto the starter motor solenoid?
No experience wuith it myself, but as I wrote earlier, I do hear from other owners that the contacts of the ignition switch can get weaker, causing a too weak current to the starter motor relay to switch properly. A new ignition barrel is the solution, but expensive if available at all. Otherwise use an auxiliary relay.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2024, 19:26   #16
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tic auto 304000 miles 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I have heard of people who installed an auxiliary relay between starter motor and ignition key barrel, as the contacts in the ignition are not up to switching sufficient power to activate the starter motor relay. Boosting the voltage level with another battery will of course make it easier for the ignition contacts.
I have not read that you tried to put 12V power directly from the battery to the starter motor relay. Does this bring the starter motor to life?
By the way, Volvo installed a pink wiired service socket near the the left front wheel strut. This socket is directly connected to the starter motor relay, so applying 12V to it will bypass the ignition key.
hi i used think block in the engine bay a number of times it gets me going every time ,when my engine goes completely dead only does it when engine is been running never done it from cold start in 24 years i carry the spare wire and swop it for solenoid wire what does that tell you , not done it for a few months now ,problem tomorrow now I've bought it up !!!!
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2024, 20:38   #17
David Strachan

Default Same no crank, no start symptoms for me

I had the same symptoms and getting progressively worse. I also found that my car now starts with a little more voltage.
Here's what I've tried and what I think:
There is a relay under the hood (bonnet). In my 2005 XC90 it is MA1. This needs to close and supply volts to the solenoid. When I pull this relay out and use a separate wire to jump across the switched terminals (30 and 87 - the fatter terminals), the engine turns over even with no key in the ignition. With the key turned to ignition on, the car starts. (Make sure it's in Park. I made this mistake and had to chase after it!)
The starting relay itself works fine on the bench so the problem has to be upstream of the relay. This brings us to the CEM, located under the dash. And that's as far as I've go for now.
David Strachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2024, 08:59   #18
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I was impressed with the suggestion that there could be a problem with the engine earthing, and I can't find the suggested braided earth strap.
Interesting to note the absence of the strap; perhaps a previous owner removed it when doing some top-end work and didn't replace it? It should run to a bolt-head on the bulkhead somewhere near the centreline.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2024, 15:06   #19
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Well I didn't do much this morning. Took the dog for a walk, and fitted the earth strap. I took it from the bolt that secures the earth strap from the battery and connected it to a stud on the second pipe on the exhaust manifold. The exhaust nut came off pretty easily, and that surprised me, as it looks fairly rusty. I did do a bit of cleaning with some emery paper, but I'll do the job properly when I've bought a wire brush for my Dremel. The car seems to run better after fitting the strap, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I didn't manage to do much else after I'd seen the news. George Galloway seems to be in the ascendant with his workers party. Elon Musk announced that he is backing away from EV, and switching to hydrogen powered vehicles. Bitcoin looks as if is continuing to drop before it does another parabolic rise. The Gaza issue is really kicking off, and may well influence the next general election. All in all, it's been a fun morning, and I'm reserving the weekend for the cars.
Save Old Cars
Old May 4th, 2024, 13:49   #20
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Well I seem to have gone backwards with this. In to Asda for tea and breakfast, then off around the M27 to collect a pair of car ramps. No probs until I collected the ramps. I had to boost the battery to start the car, and I've had to do this on any subsequent starts - about 4. The engine is misfiring a bit, but that could be because I had to get some of that scammy E10 fuel at Asda. It was pretty hot, and at one point the M27 traffic was down to 10mph.

The only thing I can think is that I've got a sensor failing , or failed. I've gone to Sainsbury's to check the circuit diagrams.
Save Old Cars