Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pls help !!

Views : 1041

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2012, 15:41   #1
mike v70R

Default Pls help !!

Hi to everyone here ..
Im a new owner of a V70R 1997 2wd saffron as the pix you can see ..
so im looking for upgrades and all i keep finding is newer models or awd upgrades ..
i want mine to be alittle faster and sound better and to look hot under the hood .. pls help anyone?
thanks mike
mike v70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 16:01   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

first thing you need to do is read this: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46787

and replace all those parts.

What power are you looking for as this determines what needs to be done

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 16:20   #3
mike v70R

well deathrider311271
ive looked into BRS stuff and think i can get about 90hp more .. but im thinking new breaks new Exhaust and ecu and new pipes in the bay ...
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 16:33   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike v70R View Post
well deathrider311271
ive looked into BRS stuff and think i can get about 90hp more .. but im thinking new breaks new Exhaust and ecu and new pipes in the bay ...
If you mean BSR dont bother their customer service is appalling as for the maps they are a joke, someone i know had one and he promptly got rid of it and ran over the loading device as for 90bhp extra you wont see it with their maps even with supporting mods. MTE, Shark performance and AET turbos are all good maps.
So from what your saying your looking for approx 340/350bhp, now thats going to cost conciderable money, not sure your turbo is upto the job of that figure. 3" downpipe, min of 2.5" exhaust, larger injectors, larger intercooler, custom remap probably stronger internals and if you actually want to be able to use the power a diff of some sort.
Better brakes for the front, you could go down the Porsche route probably £6-700, AP racing approx £1800, rear brake upgrade S60R/V70R brembo 4 pots again probably £600.

Im sure other will come along and give further advice
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 01:20   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

There's an endless supply of information on tuning FWD Rs...as they're essentially mechanically identical to an equivalent aged T5 (bar the fractionally larger turbo and quasi-LSD gearbox). A remap should see you to around 280bhp. "Supporting" modifications like a free-flowing exhaust and enlarged intercooler are the next steps, but the next real power upgrade will come in the form of a larger turbo (T3/T4 hybrid, or a GT-series equivalent). You can get more out of the standard item, but it's not cheap. Headwork will give you more power-per-PSI of boost. Beyond about 15psi of boost, stronger rods (and while you're there forged pistons) are wise, but 15psi with a decent sized turbo should easily see you to 350bhp.

Beyond that point, you'll need proper suspension and brakes, even for road use. With good pads, the standard brakes shouldn't give you much grief.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 21:27   #6
mike v70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
There's an endless supply of information on tuning FWD Rs...as they're essentially mechanically identical to an equivalent aged T5 (bar the fractionally larger turbo and quasi-LSD gearbox). A remap should see you to around 280bhp. "Supporting" modifications like a free-flowing exhaust and enlarged intercooler are the next steps, but the next real power upgrade will come in the form of a larger turbo (T3/T4 hybrid, or a GT-series equivalent). You can get more out of the standard item, but it's not cheap. Headwork will give you more power-per-PSI of boost. Beyond about 15psi of boost, stronger rods (and while you're there forged pistons) are wise, but 15psi with a decent sized turbo should easily see you to 350bhp.

Beyond that point, you'll need proper suspension and brakes, even for road use. With good pads, the standard brakes shouldn't give you much grief.

cheers

James

Thanks james ..looks like a tune will be the first thing ...

Tags
v70r 2wd