Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Use of our street as a short cut.

Views : 6998

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 14:00   #51
emmdee
Premier Member

From Al Murray...

If we had no rules where would we be? France! If we had too many rules where would we be? Germany!

Quite agree with Bill - casual lawlessness is on the increase and it's terribly depressing. In all likelihood, Simon et al will have to put up with fuds roaring down that lane when they could quite easily go the long way around. Not exactly up there with The Holocaust in the pantheon of crimes, but a daily annoyance to everyone living there. I had a similar problem myself with kids playing football next to my garden - these things might sound really petty unless you have to put up with them all the blooming time, but they can really get you down.

m.d.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 15:16   #52
weedeno belfast
weedeno 2003 v70 d5 se

Default get a petition from residents who live there

only resolve would be get a petition to put a bollard at one end make it a dead end then cant be used as cut through but it will make your lives hell as well as owners but be safer in the end result
weedeno belfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 22:29   #53
tonyv70d5

Cool Stand for Councillor

If the Council will not do anything why not you or one of your fellow residents stand for election as a local Councillor? That will make the other candidates think because they will lose votes and those lost votes might just affect their majority.

I have found in the past when the local council has been dilatory a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman has been of benefit.
1. It means the Chief Executive has to investigate and report.
2. The Head of Highways does not like the Chief Executive investigating his department.
3. The Council does not like it when the Local Government Ombudsman reports in the complainant's favour, nor do the Councillors for the Ward because it shows they did not take enough action.
4. Such a complaint has to be shown in the statistics for the Council.

I complained in a matter of maladministration and was awarded financial compensation from the Council which I refused because it was Council Tax payers' money but I made my point and I am now treated with respect and promptly.

Next, go for the local police and complain, after giving the local Police Chief sufficient notice, to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
1. The Chief Constable won't like it because his/her Force has come to notice.
2. The local Superintendent won't like it because he/she has come to notice.
3. The local beat bobby will like it because it will show he/she is toothless because resources are not there.

I am not sure whether or not the No Access is a points on the licence offence (endorseable) - this might be worth looking into.
With regard to pedestrians being inconvenienced there must the offence of:
a) driving without due care and attention (endorseable), or
b) driving with reasonable consideration for other users (endorseable).

Lastly, for today, ask the police to do eye-sight tests on the drivers of the vehicles offending. (I didn't see the sign, officer!) The delay in having to stand and take the test will definitely make the offender take another route. Also requesting the actual driving licence be produced to ensure a false name and address has not been supplied will take up time.

Oh, I wish I could be a constable and help you.

Tony V70 D5
tonyv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyv70d5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 00:36   #54
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up Bollards

Hi Simon

I have just read through this thread and I think the best plan of action would be to set the bollards up half way along the road, giving access to the residents at both ends, but no through road for the undesireable vehicular pestilence.

Backed up with "no through road" signs, that would stop the issue dead in it tracks.

Good luck with getting this resolved, sooner rather than later.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:47   #55
scr8pdo
Premier Member

We have streets round here called "Play Streets" they have a sign with figures/sillouettes of children playing, and only residents are supposed to be allowed to use the road.

A lot of roads round here are still cobbled which does slow traffic down, I can see your frustration if people are using it as a "Rat-Run" if a kid stepped out etc, but what can you do unless you take the law into your own hands?
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:52   #56
scr8pdo
Premier Member

BTW, my wife as a child lived in a house where a road went past and basically cut the corner off, people used to turn 45 degrees and fly through past her house, the residents complained and the council ended up blocking the short cut off with bollards right in the middle, so they could still access their front drives but from either end, I will post a pic up or a link:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sorry put in poostcode RM10 8QB and you will see, also use the street view mode and you can see how they blocked the short cut.

They got the Councils attention because of the amount of accidents that did occur

Last edited by scr8pdo; Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:02.
scr8pdo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scr8pdo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:35   #57
Volvorforlife
Master Member

There was a similar situation around here where people used a road for a shortcut. One of the people on the road started leaving his range rover blocking the traffic in one direction. Every morning I would be queued waiting to get past it on the way to drop one of the kids off for school. One morning while waiting to get passed it I noticed it was a different colour and thought he had bought a new RR until I got closer and seen that someone had poured tar all over the car.

If the sign says no entry except for access then the cops can't do anything as the people using it are accessing the road at the other end.
62reg Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE
Volvorforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 12:53   #58
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
We have streets round here called "Play Streets" they have a sign with figures/sillouettes of children playing, and only residents are supposed to be allowed to use the road.

A lot of roads round here are still cobbled which does slow traffic down, I can see your frustration if people are using it as a "Rat-Run" if a kid stepped out etc, but what can you do unless you take the law into your own hands?

BTW, my wife as a child lived in a house where a road went past and basically cut the corner off, people used to turn 45 degrees and fly through past her house, the residents complained and the council ended up blocking the short cut off with bollards right in the middle, so they could still access their front drives but from either end, I will post a pic up or a link:http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Sorry put in poostcode RM10 8QB and you will see, also use the street view mode and you can see how they blocked the short cut.

They got the Councils attention because of the amount of accidents that did occur
The biggest problem is that unbelievibly, no accidents have occured. So until then the council do nothing. As it's election time we've contacted our local councillor and she is looking it it.

As I've been sat in the front room all morning, I've heard and seen all the cars flying through so I've decided to do exactly as you said and take the law into my own hands and blocked it with my car. It only took from me seeing a car race through (30mph ish) and jumping in my car at the back and bringing it round for another car to come down as I was getting out. We had the usual arguement and threats but I wouldn't move my car and the daft cow had to reverse up and go round. Got a photo of the car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorforlife View Post
There was a similar situation around here where people used a road for a shortcut. One of the people on the road started leaving his range rover blocking the traffic in one direction. Every morning I would be queued waiting to get past it on the way to drop one of the kids off for school. One morning while waiting to get passed it I noticed it was a different colour and thought he had bought a new RR until I got closer and seen that someone had poured tar all over the car.

If the sign says no entry except for access then the cops can't do anything as the people using it are accessing the road at the other end.
You need to read DaveNP's post to know what access means. It doesn not mean it can be used as a cut through. I posted already that our local bobby who came round at weekend sympathises with us and they hope to spend some time here stopping drivers themselves.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:48   #59
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Sounds fookin very dangerous, if my kids were playing out and someone hit them I wouldnt be responsible for my actions, you can see that is more of a walkway than a road, ok an access road to the houses but someone who lived there wouldnt be tear ar$ing through it.

If you could maybe get one of those massive concrete un moveable blocks they use to stop Travellers getting onto parks dropped at one end of the road, sod the law, just no one admit to dumping it there, something needs to be done before something bad happens, maybe if all the neighbours agree with each other take turns to park accross the path, you can buy bollards that can be locked up or down, sod the council, all pit in and install something yourselves or maybe a chain that spans accross with a No Entry sign in the middle.

I would certainly be doing something, imagine the worse, imagine the "I wish I hads" It will be too late then.

I really think taking this into your own hands maybe the only answer.

One scary thing you could do although some may not agree with me, is build a fake child like a Guy Fawkes, next time you see someone racing through, sling it out in front of the car, I bet they never go through again, we done it for a laugh years ago (I know, very irresponsible, but very young) the driver got out of his car and nearly collapsed in fear, he was a boy racer down our road who used to fly down at 50 od mph, me and my mate slung the Guy out from behind my dads Transit van, he locked up, hit it and ran it over and was as white as a sheet, he went beserk (quite right really) but it slowed him down afterwards as the neighbours sort of agreed with our prank although as I say a bit OTT but so is driving at speed down residential streets with kids about.

Iam putting my umbrella up now ready for the hailstorm of abuse iam gonna get from some of you now
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 11:18   #60
andy_d
Premier Member

ill send you a new bigger brolly ste.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: