Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 at last! :)

Views : 14875

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2014, 08:17   #41
TWPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
It's not a leaf spring in the traditional sense, as it's just the one, running laterally between the two wheels, probably for space, weight AND cost saving...

Mike
Thanks very much for that, Duck.

I have since remembered (and I'm sure many on these forums already know it) that the old 960 estate also had a transverse leaf spring at the rear like this, though in that case Volvo made it from fibreglass rather than a composite material.
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 08:44   #42
TWPC

Default More accelerative, more economical

On the promotional website for the First Edition of the new XC90, Volvo has published the following performance stats for the D5 and T6 powered models with the 8 speed autobox. They are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the current model. In each case the first number is for the D5, the second for the T6.
Just shows what new engines and a bit of weight loss can do.
I am encouraged by the implications of all this for the performance of a D4 with a manual box...

Fuel consumption, litres/100km, mixed cycle:
5,8 = 47.4 mpg
7,7 = 35.7 mpg

C02 g/km:

Max. power output, kW (hp) at rpm:
165 (225) @ 4250
236 (320) @ 5700

Acceleration, 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in secs:

Top speed, km/h:
220 = 138 mph
230 = 144 mph

I know that the composite mpg data is different from reality but I think comparisons with the following are interesting (note that I assume a 4 cyl D5 will be available for £45K so I am comparing to similarly priced competitors - i.e. 204hp Audi Q7 and 4 cyl versions of the Merc ML and BMW X5)

Current XC90 D5 0-62 mph: 10.3 secs Composite mpg: 34.4
Audi Q7 3.0TDI 204 0-62 mph: 9.1 secs Composite mpg: 39.2
Merc ML250 CDI 0-62 mph: 9.0 secs Composite mpg: 46.3
BMX X5 xDrive 25d 0-62 mph: 8.2 secs Composite mpg: 48.7
Old Sep 1st, 2014, 21:48   #43
Keith Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundIJones View Post
"So Mrs H doesn't like the look of it much....If I like it, we will get it!"

Is that being brave or is it just pub talk to sound big?
I just will keep telling her we will get it, she will eventually give in !
Keith Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 09:49   #44
senior

I think Volvo have missed a trick with the new XC there sould be a bigger Diesel engine option all the major competition at this price point offer engines with upto and in some cases over 3l capacity and more bhp and torque
senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:36   #45
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior View Post
I think Volvo have missed a trick with the new XC there sould be a bigger Diesel engine option all the major competition at this price point offer engines with upto and in some cases over 3l capacity and more bhp and torque
Thats taken care of by the twin engine petrol.

Better economy than the equivalent diesels, and 400bhp.

Volvo are going in a slightly different direction to the main crowd.

The performance figures for the D5 are good enough for what 99.9% of people will do with the car, especially with a Polestar map on it.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 16:00   #46
senior

Yes but who really wants a twin engine petrol with all the complications that will go with that.

The figures for the d5 are not much better than the old model
My 2010 active with A Superchip remap & K&N airfilter is up to 220 bhp and 347 pounds feet of tourque ( on a rolling road)
Don't get me wrong I love the thing and in two years will no doubt be in the market for one.
As they say there's no substitute foe cubic capacity
senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 10:32   #47
TWPC

Quote:
Senior,

You're right that there will always be some customers who must have more than 4 cylinders and more power, but as A_lex says, the 4 cyl diesel option will probably cover the requirements of the vast majority of potential customers. In all honesty, how many customers know or care how many cylinders their car's engine has? All most require is an engine that is smooth, powerful and economical; they don't care how that outcome is generated. With regards to performance, I would guess that the new 8 speed auto transmission and lighter weight of the new model contribute significantly to the step-up in acceleration and fuel economy over our XC90s, regardless of the small nominal increase in horsepower.

Unfortunately for customers, the other thing that Volvo must consider is production costs. The SPA platform has been designed to accept only transverse 4 cyl engines. Remember that the XC90 is going to be the largest car to sit on SPA so the need for >4 cyl engines in other models will be less. Presumably engineering it to accept different configurations of engine would have severely compromised the flexibility and profitability of the platform.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 14:39   #48
GS79

Quote:
interesting point made here, and responses. Basically they've gambled that their new tech and approach with 4 cyl VEA platform and hybrid /supercharged etc will reap more cost savings than the penalty of lost sales from those who want 3 and 4 litre engines.

I agree that the market will 'want' some big displacement diesels, because that's what Audi/ BM offer, and that's what traditionally gives a big SUV the torque required to move you at speed, but Volvo are going in a different direction and I think it could be their USP . So good luck to them!
GS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 10:39   #49
mickv

Well I've put a deposit down on a First Edition so I'm hoping the engine will be up to the job. I was disappointed to find out that the T6 was not being made avialable to the Uk market with the First Edition so had to settle for the D5. However, performance figures suggest that it will be up to the job. Not interested in towing anything more than a bike rack, so not too bothered about having the kind of torque only a big displacement motor will give. More converned about quality of interior, comfort, tech, refinement of ride etc. And I think the new car will deliver on those fronts.
mickv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 00:38   #50
AB-UK
Premier Member

Just received an invitation to view the new XC90 next month down in Kent.
Unfortunately I can't make it
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote