Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motoring Bug-Bears

Views : 3227

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 03:48   #61
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Merging early doesn't keep the traffic flowing especially when it goes down to a single lane 3 miles before it becomes so on a dual carriageway because some moron thinks they are a hero by driving at 20 on the outside lane (guess what happened to me today...). I was just about executed at the side of the road by my instructor during my police driving course for merging with about 200m still to go, I was far too early apparently!

I've lived abroad for quite a bit of time over the years and we are the only nation who doesn't seem to understand the concept of merge in turn. It's even recommended in the Highway Code.
For years that has bugged me! I've been practically spitting venom, blaming the pusher's-in as the reason why my lane is going so slowly. I'm travelling at half speed because of those ignorant, holier-than-thou, self-important, rude types who storm down the empty lane and then beg to be 'let' in with their silly indicators, even though they've had 800 yards of warning it would happen ...

I think I've seen the light. Thanks AngryScot, I do believe you are right. It would be better if everybody continued to use the lane until it's end. It would reduce tailbacks, and everybody could contraflow in the alternating manner they're supposed to. And if they all did that, they wouldn't be stuck in the tailback fuming because they're travelling so slowly. Actually, it makes sense.

I shall be adopting this as policy from now on. Thanks again.

The rule is suprisingly simple; You let one person in, then you proceed. It's really easy.

Last edited by canis; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 03:52.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:08   #62
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Just to add to the above, what I find even more annoying is when the person in the outside lane runs out of road and tries to push in without indicating. If you're going to drive like a nob, at least have the decency to let other road users know your intention to rejoin the queue. They then get all shirty when no-one feels inclined to let them in.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:19   #63
id5
Premier Member

Ah! The UK's famous queue for everything mentality, cut into the queue and you are hated.

The government should bring back some of the public safety type instructional adverts that used to occur and push the message that it is okay to do it, even though I don't go to the end I go to the 200 metre mark, indicate and then pull in. If I find someone that won't let me in I just keep pace with them and stay slightly ahead and keep creeping over, sooner or later they get it and let me in.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:57   #64
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Luckily I have most lorry drivers on my side 🙌. Keep on trucking boys 🚛
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 08:46   #65
green van man
Premier Member

So last Friday night the M4 was closed between J35&37 diversions signposted. At one roundabout on a dual carageway left lane straight on or left right lane straight on or right, there is confusing signs as a local diversion is also in operation taking local traffic from somewhere to somewhere else via the road on the left, The M4 diversion is identified on the sign which is before the local diversion sign.
I am in the left lane and going straight on when the c class merc to my right starts blowing his horn indicating left to follow the local diversion.
I think mistakenly as he had missed the M4 sign. Even were I mistaken in my belief, his course of action should of been to go around the roundabout and then take the road he wanted not try and cut across me in the left hand lane.

Not all traffic following a diversion are following a diversion, they are just taking a route you have been diverted on to.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 11:49   #66
Grimble
Grimble

When 3 go to 2, the way to keep moving is as the middle lane starts to slow due to pushers-in (doubling that lanes volume and therefore slowing it), move to the inside where traffic is steady. As soon as you are past the merge, move back out into lane two as it generally moves quicker one the merging is done.

Its totally pointless raging at the cretins that organise traffic at roadworks, if they had any sense it would be organised to optimise traffic flow, not average speed camera revenue.

This one works every time when going north on the M5 at the M5/M6 when there is congestion (most of the day). At about 500yds from motorway merge, move into the inside and smile as you pass loads of stationary traffic fighting to get onto the inside lane of the M6. Similar case to the roadworks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 12:32   #67
green van man
Premier Member

Sorry Grimble I take issue with you there. The reason traffic is funneled into the left hand lane is to slow it down deliberately, even if it'sthe left hand lane that the road works are being undertaken. Filter them to the left hand lane, slow them down then direct them to the place you want them to be.
FFortunately I have never had to work on a motorway but even on a dual carriageway despite speed restrictions and traffic management we all know a line of cones is no protection at all. On one occasion it was fortunate we parked a 12 ton hyab lorry well behind us as the polish driver of a 40 ton artic took the cones out and pushed it 6m up the road.
We all know very few adhere to the speed limits through roadworks unless there are cameras there. I appreciate the frustration where there is TM set out and no one working but consider not only the cost but the danger to the workforce setting it out, not a job I would want, and you can appreciate why it's left set out.

I wish every driver could spend a day with road workers, not only your job to do in a timescale, the world and it's brother hates you and you need eyes in your arse just in case some numpty decides the cones and signs do not apply to them.

Yes I still get frustrated when held up in road works, but having been there I appreciate why it's necessary.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 13:52   #68
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I have disagree with the comments about average speed cameras - excellent invention that keeps the traffic flowing unlike the traditional Gatsos which only cause accidents because dickhead is speeding, sees one and slams the anchors on causing a rear end shunt somewhere behind him. even if he doesn't cause an accident he causes massive holdups as the traffic jam he created concertinas behind him for miles.

On the M3 road works which were around 20 miles long the traffic was faster AFTER thy installed average speed cameras than it was when it was 'unrestricted'.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 14:02   #69
Spike56
Master Member

What about the diversion signs.....the ones that simply start and then state "diversion ends", yet give no details as to why or where. They just take you on a path and then leave you to find your own way back.

Odd!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 15:28   #70
Grimble
Grimble

I'm talking mainly about the appalling length of time it is taking to do the M5 roadworks between 6 and 4A. As its my daily commute, its a personal hate. The congestion is appalling and as for the comments about safety, if it is a dangerous situation, then the logical thing to do, is to do it as quickly as possible, thus reducing the time that the workers are exposed.

The option taken by the contractors/highways agency is to improve safety by having as few workers on site as possible, not working weekends or overnight and as for the 18month inconvenience to road users, who cares?

To have roadworks spanning motorway junctions is also a stupid set of events, as well as narrow lanes, you have traffic changing lanes to exit/enter, slip road congestion backing up onto the inside lane and very short entry slips onto the narrow section. Any regular road user could tell you that this is a bad idea.
I have seen no end of accidents on this section during the roadworks, the majority being shunts at or around J5 in the middle of the works.

The average speed cameras are a complete pain as if there are no workers present (most of a 24hour period) why are they still there other than for revenue. Why not just active during set working times? As green van man said, if a truck driver is going to plough through a set of cones, he's hardly likely to be paying attention to his speed either.

The cameras now installed on the M6 between Hilton Park services and central Birmingham, at huge expense and disruption are utterly useless. Congestion is as bad as ever during peak times, all down to junctions being too close together and large volumes of traffic changing lanes to enter/exit. This is the real issue and instead of doing something about capacity (the hard shoulder/extra lane is a pathetic excuse) a load of gantries and cameras is seen to be 'doing something'. I have used this stretch for decades and the only thing that will cut the congestion is by closing junctions or building another road. Neither is likely to happen.
The countries road network is like the arteries in your body, clogging them up is a bad idea, and when a blockage is found, you want it remedied as fast as is possible. Patient: my arteries are clogged! Doctor: don't worry, I'll slow down your blood flow.

Rant over. Problem unfortunately never will be.