Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pressure Bleeding Brakes Via Master Cylinder

Views : 1227

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2017, 00:47   #1
rager

Default Pressure Bleeding Brakes Via Master Cylinder

Has anyone successfully bled their x40 using this method?

I have a pressure tank with tubing attached to a brass fitting which I have screwed into an extra master cylinder cap.

Unfortunately, my cylinder won't hold any pressure?

The moment I start pumping air in it leaks out... Its hard to tell but it looks like it is coming out from around the o-ring connection between the plastic reservoir which holds fluid and the actual metal cylinder.

Any ideas? I have pressure bled other cars with zero issues....
rager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 08:35   #2
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

I tried and failed, technically I'm still working on it. The pressure leaks between the cap and and the reservoir (mostly through the two cutouts at the opposite sides). That was a surprise to me, as there is a rubber insert in the cap that suggests the reservoir is airtight. It could be that only the part below the rubber insert is airtight when you screw the cap on. And since I cut a hole in the middle of the insert (still wondering if that was a good idea), it won't seal.

The only solution here is sealing the cap. I used some silicone sealant on the inside of the cap and it definitely helped, but it still leaks a bit, so I plan to simply keep repeating that until it stops leaking.

Last edited by ww1dm1; Feb 21st, 2017 at 08:38.
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 17:34   #3
druid
V40 Owner

I think it might have been PeireMcalpine (sp sorry dude) that solved it.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 19:34   #4
Musicus

I've got the same problem. Made a pressure bleeder myself but the reservoir is leaking. Don't think it's the 0-ring connection, because then you got brake fluid all over the place.

(sorry for my bad writing, i'm dutch)
Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 23:07   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

I cobbled together a pressure bleeder that has worked really well for me. Some have accused me of over-engineering though...

I used the reservoir cap itself for air pressure delivery. I got myself a spare cap and drilled a hole through the middle and carefully screwed in a compressor quick-connect adapter (male/male). I was careful to drill the hole just a tad too small so that I could screw the compressor adapter in nice and tight. One important detail about the cap though: it is designed to have some sort of pressure release via the rubber insert. To eliminate the "feature" you have to pull the insert out, cut out the "hat" and keep the "donut" (to be used as a washer). Then you have to seal the channel that exists on the inside edge of the cap itself. I think I used some JB Weld to seal the channel and then I used some permatex for good measure all the way around the washer to get a good seal.

I then got some attachments and a see-through hose and connected the other end to a garden sprayer (which I happened to have sitting around). The garden sprayer is nice because it has two outlets in addition to a pump handle: I used one for the delivery hose to the cap and the second for a combo pressure gauge and schrader valve using a t-fitting from the plumbing store..

Feel free to ping me if you want some pics.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 08:02   #6
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
I cobbled together a pressure bleeder that has worked really well for me. Some have accused me of over-engineering though...

I used the reservoir cap itself for air pressure delivery. I got myself a spare cap and drilled a hole through the middle and carefully screwed in a compressor quick-connect adapter (male/male). I was careful to drill the hole just a tad too small so that I could screw the compressor adapter in nice and tight. One important detail about the cap though: it is designed to have some sort of pressure release via the rubber insert. To eliminate the "feature" you have to pull the insert out, cut out the "hat" and keep the "donut" (to be used as a washer). Then you have to seal the channel that exists on the inside edge of the cap itself. I think I used some JB Weld to seal the channel and then I used some permatex for good measure all the way around the washer to get a good seal.

I then got some attachments and a see-through hose and connected the other end to a garden sprayer (which I happened to have sitting around). The garden sprayer is nice because it has two outlets in addition to a pump handle: I used one for the delivery hose to the cap and the second for a combo pressure gauge and schrader valve using a t-fitting from the plumbing store..

Feel free to ping me if you want some pics.
That is pretty much exactly what I did. Wouldn't call it overengineering, just a proper home made pressure bleeder. Only difference is that I didn't fit a pressure gauge. I have one lying around, but it just doesn't seem that useful, my garden sprayer can't accumulate enormous pressures.

Good to know that sealing the cap properly will work. Did you get that mythical rock-hard brake pedal?
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 12:21   #7
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww1dm1 View Post

Good to know that sealing the cap properly will work. Did you get that mythical rock-hard brake pedal?
Not sure about rock hard but good and solid for sure! the pressure gauge was helpful as I was able to hook up a small compressor to the Schrader end - didn't want to put too much pressure through.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2017, 16:17   #8
rager

Appreciate all the replies!

Managed to get a successful seal using a Motive power bleeder drilled into the cap. Sealed inside of cap using the cut donut method combined with Sikaflex construction sealant, its what I had laying around. Sealed under the donut with sealant and around the lip in the cap. Once i put the cap on I also smeared the sealant around the outside of the reservoir on the portion of the threads where the is a gap, there are 3 sections and it seems like the air always leaks out of one of them. I didnt wait for it to dry just left it smeared while I bled the brakes.

I pressurized to 7psi and the flow at each caliper was strong. I ran a LOT of fresh brake fluid through since my brakes were garbage even though I had all new hardware except hoses.

After two drive/bleed cycles my brakes are GREAT! Not as firm as a 2005 Acura MDX I drove recently but their performance when braking hard is the best I can remember. Very confident braking heavily and repeatedly at highway speeds and I have poor snow tires on. Really pleased that I finally got this to work... Recently had car at the mechanic to look at brakes and all he had for me was pretty much "yeah your pedal feels a little soft and has some extra travel but I can't find anything wrong..." Not sure why he didn't try bleeding... I literally doubled my braking power/ability by pressure bleeding.
rager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rager For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 20:10   #9
Musicus

Thanks pierremcalpine!

Problem is solved. I removed the rubber seal and applied some silicone instead. Now i've got an nice seal and the container holds the pressure. I went to 10Psi and thats enough to bleed the brakes.

Here some pics.

Pressure bleeder with a cap for a V40 and one for a S60

Pressure gauge from Aliexpress

The silicone for a nice seal

Musicus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Musicus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:57   #10
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Nice work. Mine takes up some valuable room in my small utility shed but every time I have to use it I'm reminded on how painless the brake bleeding is with that contraption on hand!