Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

dipped headlight fault

Views : 3050

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 21:08   #1
bowdi

Angry dipped headlight fault

near side headlight fail, check bulb that's is OK.
swap with off side still near side not working,
checked voltage now this is where I getting lost when the bulb is out I got 12volts DC across the yellow and blue but when the bulb is fitted 0 volts,
does anyone have any ideas fuse OK
if i remember correctly headlight live a battery earth 12volt
and headlight earth to battery live 12 volt,
just started happening is booked in for MOT on sat
bowdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 21:28   #2
buzzlightyear

hi....can i ask ?? you say u checked positivly a 12volt feed with the bulb out ! im obviousley assuming via touching the terminals on the socket which plugs onto the bulb ?? then u checked 'no voltage' when plugging the bulb in ?? did u touch the bulb terminals when checking with the bulb plugged in ?? if so inspect the spade connectors on the socket which connects to the bulb !! make sure they are a tight fit on the bulb (all 3) as its fairly common that these corrode and sumtimes overheat causing the whole thing to become 'brittle' like ! if you have checked the bulb and its ok & u are also getting a live feed to the socket it can only be the spade connectors on the socket. had a similar problem with my S40 which took some sorting but eventually got there by using a pair of snipe nose pliers to tighten the connections to the bulb !
hope this helps
regards wayne
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 21:37   #3
bowdi

hi Wayne
only 2 terminals on the back of the dipped headlight,
swapped bulbs over both fine,
can get on the back of the spade fittings with bulb in place,
when bulb in place no voltage, checking again in the same place but with the bulb removed 12 volts
regards Steve
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 21:59   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

this would figure if there was a point of high resistance in the circuit , is it later than 2000 ? If so look at the CEM above your right knee , see if there are wiring modifications with poor crimp connectors ... if so remove the additional wiring and solder the original wires back together , This was a mod by volvo some time ago to reduce the voltage to the headlamp bulb to increase its life , it was a piece of resistance wire that got warm and can play up at the crimp connectors .. best get rid of it !
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 22:20   #5
bowdi

hi clan
where is the CEM located,
will have another go at it tomorrow afternoon now
cheers thanks
steve
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 17:43   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

hello steve , yours is post 2000 then .. The CEM is a box above your right knee , remove the dast undertray and you will see it to the right above . It has two or 3 multi-plugs with lots of wires going in ... if there has been any mods done then cut out the wire they inserted and revert to standard soldering the joints ... If all looks well there though , it may well be the CEM faulty ..
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 22:20   #7
buzzlightyear

ah !! obviousley a later model than my 1998 ? if only 2 terminals ! didnt know about the mod volvo made to prolong the life of the bulb but im sure clan will be not far away from nailing it ?? he's pretty clever :-)
check this http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=68877
similar problems but an earlier model i think ?? i didnt read all the comments !
good luck bowdi
regards wayne
buzzlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buzzlightyear For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 18:45   #8
bowdi

Talking cem unit relay replacement

Wright just finished replacing the faulty relay on the CEM unit for my near side dipped headlight that was not working, with a Matsu****a type JSM1-12-5 click on the link
http://www.rapidonline.com/productin...catref=60-4295 and switched on my lights and now its working replacement only taken 30mins from start to finish, hope this helps some of you very cheap repair