Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front suspension squeaking

Views : 897

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:59   #1
jonspencer_1981

Default Front suspension squeaking

I have become victim to the dreaded wishbone bushes I think...they squeak ALL the time.

Are the bushes easy enough to replace or am I going to have to replace the whole wishbone? (not really what I want to do).
jonspencer_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:15   #2
ctautos

Default wishbone

a lot of work and you need vice scafold pole change them.
befor you do give the m a good squirt of wd40 see if that help"s
short term
ctautos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 15:03   #3
jonspencer_1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctautos View Post
a lot of work and you need vice scafold pole change them.
befor you do give the m a good squirt of wd40 see if that help"s
short term
Hi,

Thought it may be a fair bit of work

I know my steering limiters are split, but I don't think thats the cause of the issue (however, that would be reason my my wheels have all of a sudden starting rubbing on full lock)

I heard about WD40 or washing up liquid. I'll go round one by one and give a squirt to see which one is faulty, as there's no point in replacing bushes if its top mounts!

Is there a "how to" on changing the bushes, as I really begrudge paying for labour at a garage, as I am fairly competent when it comes to home mechanics.
jonspencer_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:34   #4
Rover Saloon

Default Change bushes or the entire arm?

Have gone both ways and make the following observations.
Replacing the entire arm is pretty straightforward and is well documented in the Haynes manual as well as on this forum.
Changing the bushes is more tricky - you need access to a very wide opening engineer's vice - about 25cm or so. You also need some pipe that is perfectly cut at right angles and exactly the correct diameter to act as a drift to push the old bushes out. I was lucky to have access to a lathe so turned the pipe to precisely the right diameter. Forget washing up liquid/WD40; these fellas are in damn tight and need a fair bit of force to push them out. However, with the equipment I have mentioned above, I had no problem.

I replaced with genuine Volvo bushes which brings me onto the final point.

There is a hell of a lot of utter crap out there both as arms and bushes. If you decide to go the bush route, get the best - it's worth it in the long run. The same goes for the arms but you are talking about a fair bit of cash. Avoid Scanteck like the plague - utter sh*t.
Let me know if you need any more detailed advice once you have decided which way to go.
Rover Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote