Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

stereo wiring harness for hu-605 (with dolby)

Views : 2392

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 17:37   #1
russJ

Default stereo wiring harness for hu-605 (with dolby)

Hi Everyone,

i bought a 53 plate 1.9 diesel sport last week and so far so good (apart from a problem with the heater!)

im trying to change the stereo for an aftermarket pioneer one, i have got the compartment bit from volvo but am really struggling to find a wiring adaptor so i dont have to start chopping wires!!!

can anyone help?
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images/smilies/stormy.gif
thanks

russ
russJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 17:44   #2
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Depends on if you have the factory sub in the boot, is an S or V40? Ebay will give you an idea of what you need. Plus do a search on the forum as well, you should find the info that you need.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 18:26   #3
russJ

It's an s40 with no sub. When I look on autoleads.co.uk I can't seem to find a one that matches and I already have bought the wrong one from Halfords, so if anyone can provide a link to the one I need I would he really grateful! I have tried searching the forum for the answer.but not found it yet!

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 18:27   #4
mechakev
Master Member

Go on ebay, make sure you get the one for your car (phase 1 or 2). It is easy
mechakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 18:55   #5
russJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechakev View Post
Go on ebay, make sure you get the one for your car (phase 1 or 2). It is easy
ha ha, o.k

the nearest thing i can find on ebay is this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-S60-...item45f3a52124

but this states its for a car "without dolby"

there is a dolby icon on my stereo, so i decided this one isnt suitable (unless my interpretation of a dolby stereo is incorrect!!)... the only other wiring harness adaptors i can find are for pre 2000 volvo s40's and mine is a 53 plate!

any more hints / tips??

ta

I know i am probably being really simple hear, but am i missing something
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 19:41   #6
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Ok at the moment i have two volvos, a R reg S40 T4 and a 53 plate 2004 V40 sportluxe. The factory fit stereo in theV40 was a double din tape cd combined unit, dolby noise reduction which basicaly reduces tape hiss when a cassette is playing. Removed my aftermarket radio out of my T4 (still for sale by the way) complete with adapter loom and put that in me V40. Got the loom from halfords so i know it fits phases 1 and 2. The only thing i needed was an extra loom to power the built in sub in the V40, and i had the added joy of not one but two hands free phone kits fitted to the V40.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 19:32   #7
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by russJ View Post
but this states its for a car "without dolby"

there is a dolby icon on my stereo, so i decided this one isnt suitable (unless my interpretation of a dolby stereo is incorrect!!)
The cassette is equipped with Dolby B noise reduction... see below
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...94&postcount=5
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 22:56   #8
Buckoboy

Default The lead i bought

I know it wasn't for a stereo replacement, it was to fit a parrot hands free kit, but this is the item i bought from ebay:

"Volvo Parrot Bluetooth ISO adaptor cable lead SOT 043
Volvo 12 pin SOT Green Grey Plugs C70 S40 S60 S80 V70"

Hope it helps, as it plugged straight in and worked fine. I have sub in the back and i am not sure what 'Dolby' means, surely it can't mean the noise reduction on the cassette deck, why would that affect the wiring?
Buckoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 13:00   #9
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

You'll need the lead to convert the volvo arial fitment to a normal arial fitment too, most of the kits on ebay include this too
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 16:56   #10
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoboy View Post
i am not sure what 'Dolby' means, surely it can't mean the noise reduction on the cassette deck, why would that affect the wiring?
The head unit with Dolby B NR is probably just a better head unit, so may have different wiring? Or maybe any difference is just an old wives' tale....

It's incredible that you'd want an ICE system with Dolby Pro Logic (surround sound). It is almost totally pointless when using stereo sources such as CDs or MPs. Straight 2-channel from well-positioned coaxial speakers in the front, a bit of ambience from the rear speakers, plus a sub is all you need for ICE.

I can see how some people might like the novelty of 4.1 surround, especially if you mount 10" flipdowns and a DVD player, but you'd have to sit on the handbrake to get any real benefit, and your rear passengers wouldn't be able to hear very much music at all....
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote