Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crank shaft oil seal. 2 change or not 2 change?

Views : 904

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:01   #1
NoTax

Default Crank shaft oil seal. 2 change or not 2 change?

I have a oil leak.... after cleaning the underside down, it looks like its coming fom the crank shaft oil seal. now I have a very sound P reg V40 with 160,000 on the clock. I am using about 2 ltrs of oil a month. Question is. Is it worth getting the leak fixed? it's not something I can do myself,drop gearbox, clutch, flywheel, etc. How much is this going to cost me.

Can any one recomenend someone in south Wales who can do this?

Please Help

Steve.

Last edited by NoTax; Jun 23rd, 2011 at 23:04.
NoTax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:12   #2
Michael J
Master Member

It's leaking into the clutch? Yes, you want it fixed - before you *require* a new clutch because you didn't fix it.

At least you aren't likely to have dirty oil. But what happens if/when it gets worse, up to three litres a month, then a complete sump full every month, then every fortnight, then every week, then a seized engine...
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:25   #3
NoTax

I Know, thats the problem, take the value of the car VS the cost of the repair X length of MOT remaining and is it worth it? not sure how much its going to cost as only nailed down where the leak is coming from today. and Its going in for the MOT at the end of the month.

if it passes with no extra cost, then ok. but any extra work for the MOT and I really dont Know. I need a idea of what this is potentially going to cost me.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:39   #4
Michael J
Master Member

The seal shouldn't be too much, it's certainly worth finding out the price. I got a couple of front seals from my local main dealer for if I might want to change them when I do my cambelt (if not, I'll have them ready in my parts stock for when they're needed) and they were £6.80 and £7.40 (+VAT).

It's the labour that will cost, and most of that is actually to pay for the professional facilities. A proper workshop isn't cheap to run.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:32   #5
panama t4

i had the same leak on my t4 and had mine changed when doing the cam belt if like mine its leaking on the cam belt defo change it as it could cause damage to the belt and cause it to snap
panama t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 08:56   #6
NoTax

Its the gearbox side Got under there yesterday and sprayed De-greaser all over the under side. After running the engine, the oil is seaping out between the gearbox and the engine from one of the nuts at the bottom rear.

Have been advised that, thats indicative of the rear crank oil seal.

So am going to phone around today see what quotes I get, but with the MOT next month, which it should pass ( fingers crossed) it may be worth doing if not to expensive.
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 12:44   #7
upv5
VOC Member

As long as it does leak out and does not collect in the bellhousing then it probably won't affect clutch. I would be tempted to leave untill clutch needs doing cause then it's only a 10 minute job.
Keep your oil level nearer to lower level on dipstick, bearing in mind you will have to check and top up more frequently, and make sure your PCV and pipes are clear to prevent pressure build up in crankcase. Pulling dipstick with engine running will give indication if crankcase pressure is an issue.

We paid over £500 to have clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and rear oil seal changed last year on wifes 185000 mile V40, 2 months later car is written off by oik in a fiesta ramming arse end. If only we could forecast the future!

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 13:00   #8
960kg
Premier Member

.......have you checked the sump bolts in that vicinity?.......i doubt the clutch would be effected as the flywheel is in the way to protect the clutch from the oil, but nevertheless if you are putting that amount of oil in per month then it has to be done!.....if you haven`t had a new clutch for sometime it may be false economy not to have a new one while it is dismantled get it checked at the same time......the engine is at those miles to get it all done that is there while in bits......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 16:50   #9
NoTax

The engine and clutch are all running ok, so It seems that I will be managing the oil levels for a while. When I park, if it is facing downhill, I tend to have a bigger stain in the morning than when parked facing uphill.

Thanks for all the replys, but I think bangernomics come into play on this one.

Cheers