Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

lack of power

Views : 1911

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 22:36   #21
Nicks 850 broke!

Marc - just been back to original 1996 Volvo manual - it is very clear that the service light is controlled by pre-programmed mileage, engine hours or months elapsed and nothing else. There is no suggestion that the service light is itself an indicator for any actual fault. Its also clear it should go out after 2 mins from starting, not stay lit. It's purely there to invite you to go and spend a lot of money with a dealer and not fault related - I had a service light coming up on an 850 for a bit prior to a service and saw no change in performance so I think you have something else wrong I'm afraid.

Nick
Nicks 850 broke! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicks 850 broke! For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 22:45   #22
marc850

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks 850 broke! View Post
Hi Marc - indeed you notice the difference after a T5 and when I have got all three sons through learning to drive (and preferably off to college and out of the house!) I'll see whether T5s are still out there in good order - I really lust after a banana yellow R though - brash fast labrador and bike carrier of the future perhaps? Hope you're getting the problems sorted. Service light (if that is what it is) can be reset if its a phase I with under-bonnet diagnostic plug and lights not sure how you do it if its a phase II OBD-II plug in the coinholder. If it's lambda light then you've got some clues from others but really need to get a code out of it to tell you exactly what you're looking for - probably a mixture fault of some sort and that would explain low power. First place I'd go for that is looking for vacuum leaks which could affect air-fuel mix dramatically. Have you got Haynes manual - the codes are all in there for a flash code car. Cheers Nick
Working on it Nick.

Very frustrating as i know the car has alot more to give, feels like it's packing more donkeys than horses at the minute
marc850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 22:47   #23
marc850

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks 850 broke! View Post
Marc - just been back to original 1996 Volvo manual - it is very clear that the service light is controlled by pre-programmed mileage, engine hours or months elapsed and nothing else. There is no suggestion that the service light is itself an indicator for any actual fault. Its also clear it should go out after 2 mins from starting, not stay lit. It's purely there to invite you to go and spend a lot of money with a dealer and not fault related - I had a service light coming up on an 850 for a bit prior to a service and saw no change in performance so I think you have something else wrong I'm afraid. Nick
Thats a bonus then, i'll just get it turned off. wonder why it's staying on tho.

Cheers.
marc850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 23:14   #24
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc850 View Post
Thats a bonus then, i'll just get it turned off. wonder why it's staying on tho.
My service light flashes three times at start up and goes out when a service is due. If I ignore it and let it do that for a month, it'll remain on solid.

It goes from 'gentle reminder' to 'pain in the arse' - automatically!

Chris...
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 07:34   #25
capt jack
VOC Member

Wink Cheapest permanent fix for service reminder light

Want a permanent cure for that annoying 'Come to Volvo and spend a fortune' service reminder light?

Take the bulb out !

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 19:59   #26
Nicks 850 broke!

Marc the other thought would be that the Service light is coming from the ECU doing something wrong - we certainly have the service light operating in a way that it should not - I would defer to others' greater knowledge but if the ECU is getting its numbers wrong is it possible its actually the ECU that is in trouble and could be both giving you poor power by not doing it's job right running the engine, and giving the spurious Service Light behaviour, but not actually recognising that it is doing so and therefore not giving you the Lambda light and codes that would tell you what was wrong.

I would suggest a code read - if its a phase I then Haynes and under the bonnet, a phase II its under the coin tray with alarm wire leads paper clips and an LED from Maplin - but it works. If you get codes then irrespective of what lights its giving you you are getting some guidance from the car. There's a link on the site for the shopping you need to do at Maplin if phase II - can someone provide it? The phase I instructions are in Haynes.

Nick
Nicks 850 broke! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 23:30   #27
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc850 View Post

One thing i didn't mention tho and i don't know if it will play a factor or not, but the service light is illuminated and was when i purchased the car. would this effect the cars performance?
No it will not;
What year is your car....

Jod