Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A public thank you to Marmitespreader

Views : 1785

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2013, 19:39   #1
jim annandale
Master Member

Default A public thank you to Marmitespreader

For the link you posted on switching off DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) A hearty thank you, I have changed the offending N/S bulb, dead easy, took the air box out, loadsaroom.
DRL's now off.
Outnumbered Mike has also offered his public thanks for the link, he will also be driving round in the dark.
May I also wish Mike and his good wife a happy anniversary for today, enjoy you're night, don't get her her pregnant again, thanks for your help in the past also Mike, Jim
jim annandale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jim annandale For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 21:48   #2
Marmitespreader
Master Member

Very nice of you Jim, thank you, any time. Just happy to help. Glad you got sorted.
Welcome to the driving round in the dark club.
Have a good weekend 👍

Happy Anniversary to you Mike & Good Lady Wife, have a nice evening 🍸
Cheers, Jim
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 22:38   #3
jgjones095
Master Member

is there a buzzer when you open the doors and leave your lights on when u deactivate drl

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 22:47   #4
Marmitespreader
Master Member

No buzzer. Lights would go off with ignition off, unless you are referring to marker lights, which have no connection with whether drls are active or not.
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 01:21   #5
AlanR

Interested in the link that was so gratefully received - if it was that useful could someone repost it so more of us may see it. Sounds like good advice to me.

________V70 T S auto MY2005_________
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 05:56   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Is this the post your looking for?http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1305479

post 3 gives instructions

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 09:05   #7
jim annandale
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
Interested in the link that was so gratefully received - if it was that useful could someone repost it so more of us may see it. Sounds like good advice to me.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?167104
This is the post in question, it is the instructions in vida to switch off DRL's (daytime running lights)
jim annandale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2013, 12:22   #8
AlanR

Wow that was interesting!

When you think about it we were used to buying cars that DID whatever they did because that was the way they were designed and built. If you wanted something different to happen your only option was to redesign and modify the basic hardware of the vehicle.

But now our vehicles are coming closer to our home computers where tweaks galore can make fundamental changes to the way it operates without touching any of the basic hardware.

Sorry if I sound a little but the culture shock of recently upgrading my '89 740 still at times takes a bit of getting used to. I like it - don't get me wrong - and I've nothing against computers which I also get along well with - its just the cars vs computers divide that's getting a lot more fuzzy.!!

now where did I put my V70 password??

________V70 T S auto MY2005_________
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 11:26   #9
Christerart
VOC Member

I remember when Sweden made it mandatory that cars had dipped headlights on 24/7.

The reason was - after several years study - that the cars that ran with the headlights on were involved in 50% less accidents.

To me - whatever the extra cost of replacing bulbs more often - I feel being seen better *might* just save me from an accident - and perhaps an increase in my insurance costs - not to mention damage to the car, hassle getting it fixed and more importantly - someone got hurt - a cyclist that did not see me coming for example.

I made this a rule for myself and my drivers - lights on 24/7 - when I had my trucking company in the US - and none of my trucks or myself were ever involved in any accidents involving other motorists or cyclists or pedestrians.

Sure, there were the "normal" stuff like drivers hitting a rail or scraping a door while backing a trailer into a tight spot - getting a windscreen blown out by an exploding tire on the truck in front - stuff like that - but otherwise a clean record.

I'm talking millions and millions of miles here.

No way I would disconnect the running lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christerart For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 11:34   #10
S70 B5254T
☭Nick☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
I remember when Sweden made it mandatory that cars had dipped headlights on 24/7.

The reason was - after several years study - that the cars that ran with the headlights on were involved in 50% less accidents.
I remember reading years ago, that it was made mandatory at the time when Sweden changed from driving on the left (UK-style) to driving on the right, and that having lights on would help remind motorists of the change i.e. prevent head-on collisions due to absentminded-ness.
Obviously road signs and markings could not be changed overnight.

It may be that you are actually correct, but I prefer my story!

1998 Volvo S70 CD 2.5T 20 valve (B5254T)
Community First Responder transport & Daily Driver
previously...1994 Volvo 854 SE 2.0 20 valve "L411XCC" &
1999 Volvo S40 2.0T SE "T283LTW"
S70 B5254T is offline   Reply With Quote