Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

bsr PPC STAGE 1 UPGRADE

Views : 1116

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2006, 10:35   #1
silverS60

Default bsr PPC STAGE 1 UPGRADE

has anyone fitted one, im seriously considering buying one it says will give 47bhp power gain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bsrstg1ppclarge.jpg (10.8 KB, 8 views)
silverS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:33   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

They are supposed to be good but they are expensive, and the gains are based on the car which they upgraded - which you can be sure was carefully set up before the upgrade and had an engine in perfect condition. That's the same for all chip tuning though, your results will vary.

The other thing you have to remember is you are upgrading without having the car checked over first. A reputable tuner (and please other VoC peeps, let's not get into THAT debate again ) will give the car a going over first and will let you know if there is something you should replace/fix before upgrading the ECU.

Have a search on the performance forums, there are *loads* of posts about what chip to use, which is best and where to go to get one fitted.

Cheers,
J
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:56   #3
silverS60

£560 Is Expensive (the Only Reason I Was Looking At These Were That You Can Remove Them And Sell It On When Finished With The Car or swap it over if i decided to up grade to a newer s60 )but I Ve Never Fitted Anything Like This On A Car,i Ve Fitted A Dyno Jett Powercommander To Some Of My Bikes Before But Have Never Seen Sucha Big Power Increase Like 47 Bhp Even When Fitting Full Race System And Induction Kit ,is 47bhp Increase Really Acheivable By Just Plugging This In ,something Tells Me No
silverS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:36   #4
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Can you take it with you to a new car? As I understand it the PPC codes itself to your car when you install it the first time. So, unless there's some sort of "return and recode" then I don't think it's something that you can take to another car (maybe it's in the small print though / at dealer discretion?). I like the thought that you can remove it before taking it to a dealer / let a dealer reset everything to standard and then reprogram it when they're finished. To be able to reset to standard might be helpful with a sale too.
Can't comment on the power upgrade though, you'd need to do a before and after test / find someone who has done one.
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 13:36   #5
John_C
Allons-y!

I think you'll find it's the difference between chip tuning a NA engine (and a probably already quite highly tuned bike engine at that) and a relatively large capacity Turbo car engine.

50 bhp is definately achieveable with a chip tune on a turbocharged car, whether you will actually get it on your particular car well that's a different question and the only way to answer it is to do it.

TJMurphy is right, the PPC "mates" itself to the car so you can't just sell it on when you sell the car. PPC *may* be able to reset it for you but it wouldn't be free. e.g. Superchips sell a thing called a "bluefin" which is the same sort of thing but not for Volvos, they charge £160 to reset it.

Cheers,
J
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote