Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power System Service Urgent!!

Views : 33891

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 17:38   #31
SonyVaio
VOC Member

The altenator is a pretty easy change unless going from a 120amp to a 150amp as you should have a software update done (by Volvo) to tell the car it now has a 150 attached.

A good search will get a Genuine Volvo/Ford altenator for approx £150 and then any garage can fit for 30min labour = <£200 and certainly no more than £250 should be paid.

A couple of Links for those looking

1.8 Petrol S40/V50/C30

1.6 / 2.0 Diesel

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 14:57   #32
FACECUTTR
FACECUTTR

Oh i jinxed myself ha ha ha
The alternator burned out the next morning.
Had to get towed and it cost me 280 euro in total with new alternator fitted. great price i thought !!!
FACECUTTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 18:53   #33
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACECUTTR View Post
Oh i jinxed myself ha ha ha
The alternator burned out the next morning.
Had to get towed and it cost me 280 euro in total with new alternator fitted. great price i thought !!!

That's the way it goes I suppose, not bad price as you say.

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 21:29   #34
brettjohnson

i have a 2005 s40 with the T5 engine and i had the same issues with the power system service urgent message and the car dying. replaced the battery and alternator and the car runs normal but the message still appears about 15 secons after start up. any ideas as to what could be the cause now?
brettjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 03:13   #35
Amigorick

Default 2005 Volvo S40 T5 Problem

My daughter has a 2005 S40 T5. The alternator went out and the "Power System Service Urgent" warning appeared on the dash. I had the alternator checked at a local alternator repair shop and the diodes and regulator were shot. I replaced the alternator (Denso 150 amp) with another one of the same type and amperage. They were identical units. The battery showed as good and the car has been running fine for about four months. The Power System Service Urgent warning on the dash never went away and the battery icon is illuminated. I had the battery checked at Autozone by a friend and it showed a little weak so I replaced it too. The warning on the dash is still there as well as the battery icon. I had the alternator checked and it showed as good too. With the car running, I checked the voltage at the alternator B+ and ground and it read 14.6 volts. At the battery + Post and ground the reading is 13.99 volts. The old battery had leaked some and there is a lot of corrosion under the battery housing. I am going to check the ground connection at the engine block to make sure it is clean. Could the .6 -.7 volt drop on the Alternator B+ to Battery + Post cause the warning light. Could I temporarily add an extra wire from the Alternator to the battery to see if the voltage would increase at the battery? What is the minimum gauge wire that should be used? I want to see if the warning would go away by raising the voltage. I have read the codes with a scanner and there are none. Any assistance with this irritating problem would be greatly appreciated !!!
Amigorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:48   #36
gfossey

Just reading a few of these posts, would i be right in thinking that any swap over of the part....especially an upgrade to a 150amp part, fails to remove the warning light. Forgive my ignorance but would this be due to this software upgrade, which i can only assume has to be carried out by Volvo or have i got that wrong. Needless to say, i am none the wiser on which pattern part my vehicle requires, as my car is the other side of the county and i've got no hope of my better half risking her nails and hair, looking for what part i require.
gfossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 15:08   #37
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If you ring a Volvo dealer with your Reg or VIN then they should be able to tell you what your car left the factory with (120 or 150A). OEM part would be a Denso unit.

If your in doubt then opt for the 150 then at the very most you'll just require a software update once you've got the car running again.

If you have the message and fix the broken part then the message should disappear.

HTH.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 15:29   #38
gfossey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
If you ring a Volvo dealer with your Reg or VIN then they should be able to tell you what your car left the factory with (120 or 150A). OEM part would be a Denso unit.

If your in doubt then opt for the 150 then at the very most you'll just require a software update once you've got the car running again.

If you have the message and fix the broken part then the message should disappear.

HTH.

Well according to Volvo mine left the factory unsurprisingly with the more expensive 150 amp fitted, but their are currently no alternators in the UK at present and will need shipping in from Sweden with around a 7-10 day turnaround at a cost of £246.00, i think not.
He was very cagey about giving me a part number as they supoosedly change to regularly to be accurate.......surely everything points to the Denso unit on Europarts for £136.00....once the surcharge is taken care of

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...a68aec6&000012
gfossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 15:45   #39
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Yes that ECP Denso unit should be exactly what your after.

Old Dec 11th, 2015, 20:13   #40
Janessatorres

Default Hey

Hey my Volvo s40 has power system service urgent on the dash board, this is the 3rd time this has happen to me the cars motor has been replaced as well as the belts. This time the belts do not look broken, also it says immobilizer on the dashboard, any help please ? My car is not under warranty and I'm 4 months pregnant. My husband and I need some help
Janessatorres is offline   Reply With Quote