Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

electric problems

Views : 1267

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:51   #1
auldbanger

Unhappy electric problems

Hi quite new to this but need some advice / help
i have just bought a 2001 c70 2.3 t5 in fantastic condition except the radio does not work and dash lights keep coming on and off
bought car from dealer so dont know history of car
1....seller told me that it was the amps for the radio that are knackered..how do i check this and where are they in car. radio lights up but no sound
2 ... when i drive car speedo stops working and falls to zero then comes back on and works fine ..couple of times petrol gauge has done same
3..... abs light and brake warning light come on while driving and sometimes what looks like engine management light comes on then go off after 5 mins
sometimes dash looks like a christmas tree
car still drives exellent even when all these lights are on ..
has any member experienced this and know how to sort it or is it i take it to autospark and pay fortunes

will be grateful for any help anyone can suggest
thanks steven:
auldbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:16   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

The speedo and abs lights are probably a faulty ABS control unit , well documented on here .
The amplifier is in the left rear side behind the boot light area but get someone to check it out first ... You have inherited someone elses problem unfortunatly so get the dealer to sort it now or get your money back , likely to cost a lot to fix around £1000 !
What kind of dealer sells a car and tells you the amplifier is not working ... and probably knows exactly why the ABS is playing up ..
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 09:26   #3
Stuh1981

You have your rights under the sale of goods 1979 to reject, repair or replace. If you want to reject the car you will need to put this in writing and actually not use the car.

Not sure how you paid for your car, but if you have paid by credit card and the dealer is not helping you then make a claim against the credit card company under Section 75. If you have paid with finance, there is usually a cooling off period (7 to 14) days. You could cancel the finance agreement and atomatically would hand the car back.

If you need any further advice let me know? however you should contact your Trading Stanadards office on Monday.

Did you buy the car local
2006 Volvo S60 D5 SE (Sold)
2008 Volvo C30 2.0D R-Design
Stuh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuh1981 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 09:40   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

As above 2 posts jump on it straight away get it sorted dont drag your heels
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 10:17   #5
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Steven,

I would re-iterate what Simon has said .. JUMP ON THE "DEALER" QUICK SMARTISH.....

However, Have you checked the Volts / Amps of the Battery ??? it MAY have enough to start the car but be down on Amperage ..

A DUD cell will cause low amperage resulting in all sorts of "Electrical gremlins" as it has a "Limited" amount of power (to supply ALL the necessary equipment) as things switch ON/OFF it will reduce the amps to "Other" things causing them to "act up"....

e.g. I had a Range Rover P38 I too had a Dud Cell in the battery you know how I found out ????

The Dash Display threw up "Gearbox Fault do NOT exceed 35 MPH" ... there was NOTHING WRONG with the Gearbox but its ECU was not getting the correct Voltage/Amperage ect !!!

you need to check BOTH the Stored Voltage & the amount of "power" (Amperage) its kicking out when ALL Equipment is on... i.e. Heater Blower, Radio Rear Screen htr ect ect....
Whilst yer at it I would also check the output of yer Alternator as well ...

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:20.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 20:53   #6
auldbanger

Smile c70 banger

thanks to the people who answered my post
took car to gt automotive in paisley who done a fantastic job on this car
1 battery lead was knackered and held on with a jubilee clib ... causing all sorts of problems ,abs module was loose and had beeen removed then not put back on properly ,one of rear brake calipers was sticking and a junction hose going into turbo had split and drawing in air .... garage fixed all these and cleaned calipers and sender units for abs all for £ 100
car now runs and drives fantastic , no lights on dash ,no rubbing brakes now all i need is radio code and im happy

c70 2.3 t5
auldbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 21:08   #7
gdphillips
ba baracus...

good news well done ............
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 21:32   #8
spanishsteve

Auldbanger,
If you supply a Volvo main dealer with the reg and VIN number they should be able to supply the radio code number if the radio is the original unit.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 12:49   #9
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldbanger View Post
thanks to the people who answered my post
took car to gt automotive in paisley who done a fantastic job on this car
1 battery lead was knackered and held on with a jubilee clib ... causing all sorts of problems ,abs module was loose and had beeen removed then not put back on properly ,one of rear brake calipers was sticking and a junction hose going into turbo had split and drawing in air .... garage fixed all these and cleaned calipers and sender units for abs all for £ 100
car now runs and drives fantastic , no lights on dash ,no rubbing brakes now all i need is radio code and im happy

c70 2.3 t5
GOOD JOB THAT MAN !!!! Great to hear yer all up & running again ..

You'll love drivin a C70 .. its like sittin in front of the telly watchin yer favourite programme with a glass of Glenfiddic in 1 hand & a 12 inch Cuban cigar in the other ...

BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT*** Just a thought have you tried "pullin the radio out" (Dead easy with the clips) first thing I always do when buying a car is pop out the radio & write the code on the casing ( Coz I ALWAYS "Lose" that damned little Credit card thing that comes with the Documents) ...

NOTE*** For "LOSE" read Wife tidies up & puts it in a SAFE PLACE ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:54.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 12:58   #10
rikcougar
VOC Member

[QUOTE
You'll love drivin a C70 .. its like sittin in front of the telly watchin yer favourite programme with a glass of Glenfiddic in 1 hand & a 12 inch Cuban cigar in the other ...[/QUOTE]

With your hair on fire !!!!!!!!!