Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is is possible to put front wishbones on the wrong side?

Views : 1751

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 16:54   #1
smorrow

Default Is is possible to put front wishbones on the wrong side?

Hello,

I have a S60 D5 2003 (95000 miles) and it failed the MOT last year for deteriorated bushes. I went to volvo to get the parts and was told I had to get new arms (may have been duped here). Anyway, cost about £100 each and had them fitted by a local garage. Noticed the dreaded wheel rub problem afterwards but passed the MOT. Happy days I thought. After about a month I noticed significant wear on the outside of both front tyres. Had camber and alignment checked/fixed. New tyres fitted and thought that was it... then just before christmas and on way to work heard clunking from under the car (as if a plastic bottle went under the car). Thought nothing of it and few seconds later I got an electrical system service message while also taking in the fact that my power steering didn't work. Made it to work called volvo and took it in. Anxillary belt had snapped destroying pulleys, tensioners and fuel pump shaft. Cost £650 to fix... and it was bits of plastic going under the car only from my engine.

So to my question... after the work was done they took it out for a test drive after which I was told that the handling was not right for an S60 and when they checked underneath they discovered the wishbones had been put on the wrong side. Is this possible? I've been to the garage that put them in and they say they can't go on any other way - other than the way they are on. I don't know who to believe so advice very welcome. Thanks.
smorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 18:02   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have my old wishbones in front of me ( planning to replace the bushes sometime in the distant future ) and I am no expert but I cant see how you could fit them wrong way around but I can see that maybe they could be fitted wrong way around but upside down but would be hard to imagine the mechanic who would do that , its does look to me like all the holes etc would still be in the right place but then the ball joint upper and lower faces are a different size so it should be very obvious even if you did manage to fit them .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 20:20   #3
steadvex
Master Member

would it be possible to visually compare your s60 with another?
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 20:36   #4
Andy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
I have my old wishbones in front of me ( planning to replace the bushes sometime in the distant future ) and I am no expert but I cant see how you could fit them wrong way around but I can see that maybe they could be fitted wrong way around but upside down but would be hard to imagine the mechanic who would do that , its does look to me like all the holes etc would still be in the right place but then the ball joint upper and lower faces are a different size so it should be very obvious even if you did manage to fit them .
Agree with the above.

The only thing possible to fit round the wrong way are new bushes. On the very poor photo below the bar runs through the centre of the bush but it can be confusing as to which surface of the bar mates with the sub-frame (its been a long day and I'm finding it hard to describe!). The faces of the bar are not equidistant to the centre. If these were fitted the wrong way round I would imagine it would make the handling very strange.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:42   #5
smorrow

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

Because I had new wishbones fitted and not just the bushes, it seems as though there are two possibilities:

1. Volvo are telling porky's (not sure why they would do that - I might be niave though)

2. The wishbones are fitted upside down (as this seems to be the only other possibility - based on advice here). I know the mechanic who fitted them and he is experienced so I am not inclined to think that he fitted them upside down.

At the time I double checked with volvo and they told me that the left side wishbone is on the right side and vice-versa (which is supposedly affecting the handling) which as I understand it from the responses is not possible so I'm kind of reaching my conclusion...

It's unlikely that I will be able to compare with another S60 but will look into this as it will put my mind at ease. In the meantime I could do a visual check if someone has a picture that shows what a correctly installed wishbone looks like?

In the end I might have to get a third opinion from another garage as this is really bothering me - especially since I will be booking in for the 96000 mile service very soon and expect to be told the same thing again!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 13:42   #6
Bernard333
Premier Member

When I first replied I wasnt 100% certain that you could fit the wishbones upside down on the wrong sides but now having had a good look at mine I would put money on it being possible . There is a balljoint fitted to the wishbone and the correct installation is with the larger cup(the cup in the wishbone) being at the top surface of the wishbone , if its been installed upside down then the suspension geometry is going to be out , sorry I cant post a photo until later on.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 18:35   #7
Bernard333
Premier Member

Default Driver side wishbone photo

Here photo of driver side wishbone looking at it as if it were installed from the front of the car . The offside one is a mirror image of this but you can see it would be possible to install it on the other side but upside down . The two threaded bolt holes you can see in the casting are to take the rubber buffer stop . If you put your hand underneath the suspension you should be able to feel the ridge on the top of the casting over the buffer stop is at the top if its been installed the correct way up , if you can feel it underneath the stop then its upside down .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver side wishbone V70S60.jpg (205.8 KB, 72 views)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 21:58   #8
smorrow

Thanks Bernard, looks to me that volvo were right (of course) and you're right (they can be put on the wrong side if they are upside down!!!!). I've attached an image of what I saw, can you confirm that my interpretation of this is correct?

I'll be going to get this sorted tomorrow... hopefully they aren't damaged in any way. Grrr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wishbone.jpg (72.6 KB, 105 views)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 22:53   #9
steadvex
Master Member

if i could get under mine i'd take a pic, but i've only got a camera phone with no flash and doesn't really take it to well if i get the chance to i'll give it a go mind
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 22:54   #10
Bernard333
Premier Member

Yes definitely upside down but dont be too hard on the mechanic because the more I look at the wishbones there is no marking on them to show LHS or RHS which considering all the other numbers on the casting you would think it would have been easy enough to mark them , the only difference in markings I can see is the driver side is SV66 200 121 and the passenger side is 120 anyway hopefully its not done any serious damage except for the tyre wear .