Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 factory fitted tow bar question

Views : 1087

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 08:31   #1
cabbie37

Default V70 factory fitted tow bar question

I've just bought a 2007 (57 plate) V70 D5. One of the things that attracted me to it was the factory fitted 'Thule' fixed swan neck tow bar. When I went to collect my van the other day, I noticed it sat 'nose up' when hitched and did some measuring when I got home. The centre of the tow ball sits about 475mm off the ground, accounting for the rather excessive 100mm or so nose up I have. Could some person with a similar car and tow bar provide me with a couple of measurements please? I'd like to know the height of the centre of the tow ball plus the height of the centre of the rear wheel arch (unladen) to see whether my car's ride height is playing a part.

My apologies for yet another tow bar question. As a new member, I see there are many. I've searched but haven't quite found the answer to my specific question. Many thanks in advance...

Hugh
cabbie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 10:14   #2
cabbie37

Well, I've now eliminated the ride height as mine seems to be normal from info provided from the V70 forum. So that just leaves the tow bar under suspicion. Can anyone with an original Volvo/Thule fixed swan neck provide any insight?

many thanks in advance..
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 13:18   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbie37 View Post
I've just bought a 2007 (57 plate) V70 D5. One of the things that attracted me to it was the factory fitted 'Thule' fixed swan neck tow bar. When I went to collect my van the other day, I noticed it sat 'nose up' when hitched and did some measuring when I got home. The centre of the tow ball sits about 475mm off the ground, accounting for the rather excessive 100mm or so nose up I have. Could some person with a similar car and tow bar provide me with a couple of measurements please? I'd like to know the height of the centre of the tow ball plus the height of the centre of the rear wheel arch (unladen) to see whether my car's ride height is playing a part.

My apologies for yet another tow bar question. As a new member, I see there are many. I've searched but haven't quite found the answer to my specific question. Many thanks in advance...

Hugh
There are 2 towbars available , a high one for cars with normal suspension and a low one for cars with Self levelling suspension .

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-425202/2007
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 18:28   #4
cabbie37

Thanks Clan. It looks like the tow bar changes, but the swan neck itself stays the same...

Hmm....
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 09:23   #5
cabbie37

Well, looks like it's been a bit of a wild goose chase. Although the tow hitch does seem to sit high, when the van is hitched and the car given time to 'settle' on its suspension, it drops into reasonable height range. When I first hitched the van up, the car didn't immediately settle and that's when I saw the nose up attitude that concerned me. So judicious loading of the car and van when I travel I think will resolve the problem..