Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D3 Dipstick location

Views : 17278

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 15:03   #31
675rrr

Just had mine serviced and when it came home it was at 3/4 full on electronic guage, done 15 miles and now when checked it says 125 percent full and repair immediate, it hasnt come up as a warning.

Check the dipstick at the front of the engine, easy to get to and it is at the top of the dipstick line not further.

The dipstick is the grey 2 pronged one?

Should I drive the car a bit more in order for it too settle or should book in order to have half a litre drained?

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 15:19   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
Just had mine serviced and when it came home it was at 3/4 full on electronic guage, done 15 miles and now when checked it says 125 percent full and repair immediate, it hasnt come up as a warning.

Check the dipstick at the front of the engine, easy to get to and it is at the top of the dipstick line not further.

The dipstick is the grey 2 pronged one?

Should I drive the car a bit more in order for it too settle or should book in order to have half a litre drained?

Thanks
Yes the dipstick is the grey one down the bottom in the sump .

The gauge takes 20 miles or so to read the true volume , it is heavily damped .
The reading is going up it seems so expect the "Engine System Service Required" message soon . They have probably overfilled it , was it a volvo dealer ? In an emergency you can drain it all out and just put back 5.6 litres and it will sort itself out .. How much oil did you pay for ?
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 15:22   #33
675rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes the dipstick is the grey one down the bottom in the sump .

The gauge takes 20 miles or so to read the true volume , it is heavily damped .
The reading is going up it seems so expect the "Engine System Service Required" message soon . They have probably overfilled it , was it a volvo dealer ? In an emergency you can drain it all out and just put back 5.6 litres and it will sort itself out .. How much oil did you pay for ?
Thanks Clan

No it wasnt a Volvo stealer

I have no emergency messages on the the dash.

The grey dipstick is pushed all the way in and seems to be at the top. Ill drive around a bit and check afterwards perhaps?

Which dipstick is right the Electronic on or the Grey one?
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 16:27   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan

No it wasnt a Volvo stealer

I have no emergency messages on the the dash.

The grey dipstick is pushed all the way in and seems to be at the top. Ill drive around a bit and check afterwards perhaps?

Which dipstick is right the Electronic on or the Grey one?
The grey dipstick level is ultimately the correct level, just below the horizontal line , but you have to leave it 15 mins before checking , also there will be a difference between hot oil and cold oil . The physical oil level must be right first .

The electronic gauge is much more accurate , it can determine the difference of adding just an egg cup full of oil to the sump .
I would have a word with the people who over filled it and let your Volvo dealer correct the level and reset the oil level gauge so that will then be very accurate . Send the other garage the bill .
The electronic gauge is probably very accurate at present ! But the quantity of oil in the sump is presently unknown ..

If you ever change the oil yourself add just 5.6 litres after draining and you will have no further problems . That's why I asked how much oil you were charged for, probably 6.5 litres . I hope they used 0w/30, A55/B5 quality .
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 16:30   #35
675rrr

They used 5w 30W

Not sure how much oil they put in, to be honest ive lost confidence.

I reckon that Im going to do the change myself and leave the Filter in that they installed.

Would this still need 5.6 litres in or should I aim for slightly less say 5 litres and recheck from there?
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 16:55   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
They used 5w 30W

Not sure how much oil they put in, to be honest ive lost confidence.

I reckon that Im going to do the change myself and leave the Filter in that they installed.

Would this still need 5.6 litres in or should I aim for slightly less say 5 litres and recheck from there?
I would do it myself too .
Drain it all out , get a new sump plug washer and i would get a new genuine volvo oil filter as you don't know what they fitted ... easy to change , just need a 36 mm socket to remove the filter cover .
Add 5.6 litres of 0w/30 A5/B5 oil and the gauge will sort itself out after 20 to 25 miles .. 5w/30 is incorrect for this engine it must be 0w/30 .

Oil and filter quality is vital for these engines which will run 18000 miles with no problems with the correct service parts .
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 13:47   #37
Graeme Luke

Question D3 dispstick

Hi i have a 2015 V70 D3 and the display is saying "Oil Level Service"
i haven't got a proper dipstick but have located the small "service" dipstick i think.... but cant pull the cap off. is there a knack to this or a clip holding it on.
the car isnt due a service for another 8000miles so not sur ewhats going on here?
can anyone help?
Graeme Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 14:00   #38
Graeme Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Luke View Post
Hi i have a 2015 V70 D3 and the display is saying "Oil Level Service"
i haven't got a proper dipstick but have located the small "service" dipstick i think.... but cant pull the cap off. is there a knack to this or a clip holding it on.
the car isnt due a service for another 8000miles so not sur ewhats going on here?
can anyone help?
may be its me being the dipstick !!
Graeme Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 16:22   #39
NigelDay
Premier Member

You have an electronic dipstick and you should be able to view the oil level on the dashboard display. Check your manual. At any rate, it sounds like you need a top-up, but beware of over-filling.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote