Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CEM Wiring/Repair Information

Views : 217373

Replies : 357

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2015, 18:14   #271
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Florin78: It is explained in the VOLVO car manual book how to switch on and off the automatic lights.
When I imported my car into Spain I turned mine off too but there is no legal need to, it will still pass ITV.
Old Feb 28th, 2015, 11:23   #272
Commander

Default Volvo S40 No Headlights

Hi All, I am a very new member of the forum and would like to thank you all especially Gatos and jordanfc for all the info on this subject, spent two days reading up and printing off the wiring diagram started working on the car yesterday 27/02/15, at 10 am, soldered in two relays, all fixed by 16.30.
I have detailed the wiring diagram for high and low beams with the colour code but being a new member don't know how to put it on the site, To save time I also ran a wire from the Red lead connecting to the bulb (Disconnected from the bulb) outside the vehicle to the Drivers Footwell of the car and connected that to one of the probes on my multi meter and placed the other to the corresponding coloured wire to each of the headlight wires, that gave me a beep on my meter which told me that there was no break in the wire to that Headlight, also the same to the other side.
I also checked for voltage input to the CEM by removing the centre connecter of the CEM tracing the necessary wire (Yellow / Red and Yellow White) which confirmed that I had voltage into the CEM, that in turn confirmed all of your theory, Once again thanks to all, you save me a fortune
Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 16:00   #273
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I have detailed the wiring diagram for high and low beams with the colour code but being a new member don't know how to put it on the site
1. "Go Advanced"

2a. click the paperclip icon, a new popup/window will open
2b. click Choose File
2c. select your file (must be quite small so you might have to shrink it down in Paint first)
2d. click Upload
2e. check it's worked then close that popup/window

3. click Submit Reply
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 13:07   #274
andybeals

Smile left-hand drive models

Those of you with left-hand drive models will find the CEM tucked on the far left of the cabin, facing you. Remove the four screws holding the trim panel under the steering wheel and it will be right there, staring you in the face. All four of the connectors have a release tab that is conveniently mounted at the middle of the rear of the connector.

I replaced my left and right low beam relays early yesterday evening and now I no longer have a reluctant left-hand low beam that only comes on sometimes.

Thanks again for the info!
andybeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 03:58   #275
The Robman

Thumbs up

Reviving this old thread to say that we just bought a 2000 Volvo S40 and one of the headlights was intermittent, but thanks to the info in this thread, I replaced the relay in the CEM and now all is good.

I bought the relay on ebay for $8 with free shipping, where the part was labelled "NEW Automotive Relays 15A 12VDC SPDT HI-CAP SEALED PCB"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151741233627
The Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 09:25   #276
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Hey, thank you well done.

How's the wind doing

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 18:02   #277
bobbytodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboz View Post
Just had a similar problem, main beams wouldn't come on, traced back to a dead power supply into the cem, relay and cem were fine but no input = no output
exactly my problem but it affected the fogs aswell
bobbytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 16:16   #278
OlaRullar

Default Inside of relays....

I just replaced the (light) relays in the CEM, enclosed is a picture of what they look like.

Inside the plastic box there is another relay, which is inside some kind of a "shock absorber" or whatever...

The third picture is the connectors which apparently can fail. This one was not that bad....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0939 rly.JPG (339.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0941 inside rly.JPG (333.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.JPG (350.9 KB, 65 views)
OlaRullar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OlaRullar For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 16:26   #279
OlaRullar

Default Resistor R142 in CEM box?

Does anyone know the value of resistor R142 in the CEM box? (It is on the back side of the circuit board). Today was not my lucky day, so I completely crashed it, it is no more... Nothing left of it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3639rot.jpg (361.1 KB, 41 views)
OlaRullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 17:28   #280
kieran40
I've Been Banned

I thought for one horrible moment my cme relay had packed up luckily with a bit of advice from gatos and a new 15 amp fuse all sorted headlight working, thank god I haven't got all the agg
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote