Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 XC60 battery life?

Views : 944

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2020, 16:18   #1
Brighousewood

Default 2014 XC60 battery life?

I bought my car late November 2019 and took out a one year warranty. I have had quite a few problems, probably the worst car I have had.

The low battery warning came on a few days ago so I recharged it, yesterday the remote would not open the car, I had to use the Key to open and then recharged it again. It's been warm this week and I have never had a battery fail during the summer before.

So in addition to the car having old corroded tyres, dated May 2020 I now have what appears to be a dud battery on a Volvo Selek car which I have had about 5 months.

Any advice will be appreciated once again. Thank you.

Pic of battery info.

Brighousewood
Brighousewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2020, 23:32   #2
jasmith44
jasmith44

Take it back,It's under warranty.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 07:53   #3
Brighousewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
Take it back,It's under warranty.
Thanks, I was not sure if the battery was under warranty. I will email them when the Corona problems ease.

Brighousewood
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 08:30   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Some dealers are still working - garages are allowed to continue to trade for the purposes of car repairs.

Hence the sooner you report the problem the better - under Volvo assist they may even come to your house and change the battery if you can't start it, so I would start there (contact Volvo assist which is their own roadside recovery and included in selekt).

6 years isn't a terrible innings for a battery, assuming it's the original Volvo battery, so I wouldn't let it bother you about the longer term reliability of the car. Batteries are like light bulbs, whilst the average life is x they can go at any time and with little to no warning.

BTW some dealers have closed and are saying they will only do warranty work if you are a key worker - this is an unjustifiable position, the government have not placed any restrictions on motor vehicle repairs and CV19 does not constitute a force majeure get out in any contractual obligations for them... everyone needs to make essential journeys.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 27th, 2020 at 08:37.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 14:43   #5
Brighousewood

Just received the following from my son, it looks like the battery is not a warranty item!

"The comprehensive Volvo Selekt warranty covers the cost or replacement of any factory-fitted mechanical or electrical component which suffers a mechanical or electrical failure. The only exceptions are:

Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, hoses and pipes (Power Assisted Steering pressure pipes are covered), exhaust system (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material, brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (xenon headlamps are covered), bulbs, fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades, wheels and tyres, the rectification of any oil leaks (unless the removal of a major unit is required) and the adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear."

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/vo...ranty-10533613

Brighousewood
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 17:32   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

That's a shame.... in my mind if you pay top dollar for a used car at a main dealer hoping for a year of trouble free motoring in return for paying a premium price you should get just that.

In the absence of your local dealer (which is a good option for batteries) Tayna batteries online are popular on here. I've used them 5 times in the past 6 weeks for friends and family having battery problems with cars laid up (and tractors (and ride on mowers)). You can arrange fitting through them I think if needed.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 09:24   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighousewood View Post
Just received the following from my son, it looks like the battery is not a warranty item!

"The comprehensive Volvo Selekt warranty covers the cost or replacement of any factory-fitted mechanical or electrical component which suffers a mechanical or electrical failure. The only exceptions are:

Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, hoses and pipes (Power Assisted Steering pressure pipes are covered), exhaust system (catalytic converters are covered), clutch frictional material, brake shoes, pads and discs, lamps (xenon headlamps are covered), bulbs, fuses, batteries, paintwork, body panels, body seals and weather strips, handles and hinges, cosmetic finishes, carpets and trim, upholstery, glass, wiper blades, wheels and tyres, the rectification of any oil leaks (unless the removal of a major unit is required) and the adjustment of any component, servicing, maintenance and normal wear and tear."

https://selekt.volvocars.co.uk/en/vo...ranty-10533613
Gosh, that's a long list. And "normal wear and tear" could be used as a catch-all excuse for most things! What on earth is the point of paying the premium cost of a Volvo Selekt vehicle?

I'd also say my Volvo has been the worst car I've ever had (at least in terms of reliability and expensive repair bills) but at least I got it cheap from an auction and Volvo did help out with a reasonable proportion of the repair costs.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 09:37   #8
Easington
Master Member

I've had to replace the battery in my 2013 S60 a couple of weeks ago.

Can recommend this place and bought a Varta one with next day delivery for less than £90

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/
Old May 7th, 2020, 08:41   #9
piotrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
I've had to replace the battery in my 2013 S60 a couple of weeks ago.
Don't forget to reset the BMS after replacing the 12 V battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote