Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stolen Volvo 240. SE London. H447 UYA 12/10/13. Gutted...

Views : 11436

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 20:36   #41
Orca2
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplebargeken View Post
Bloody brilliant work on tracking the car down. I hope the scum bag gets what is coming to him no matter what form it takes. As others have said, it looks mostly cosmetic. I wonder if folks might be willing to donate a few major bits to at least get her back on the road for you. If I had any 240 bits then I would happily pass them on.

Can you go over to the storage place and make an inventory of what is required in the interim and start the ball rolling?
Like the man says get a list of what you need, loads of people will have spare bits lying in boxes that will never see the road again , If you possibly can , get her back together again. was looking at the pics you posted of her before she was nicked and You cannot let these scum deprive you of the joy of owning such a lovely and increasingly rare car. Good on the bloke who offered to help out, the folk on this forum are the salt of the earth, I live too far away to help out or I would Do the same I might be able to source some bits if we know what you need .
Orca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 22:06   #42
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default Volvo theft

Have only just seen this, and having been a victim can symphasise. I had one of my Volvo 164s stolen from a locked lock-up a couple of winters back. The car ran but was waiting its turn for rear wheel arch repairs, so I only took it out of the garage for a wash occasionally.
It lived in a very private bank of garages behind some flats yet even so the scum smashed down every u & o door until they found mine, then broke the steering lock (and wheel!) and winched it onto their truck.
We found a website of the south-east stock-car racing set-up and supplied the decent guy a pic; two days later he rang to say one of their truck drivers saw it over a high bank on a gated "farm" near Smallfield banger-track. We eventually found the place with help from another trucker and my son squinted into the yard behind the house from the adjacent field and saw it half-covered in an open-fronted barn; the tarp had blown up and those front indicator lights are unique.
We had a theft crime number so reported our findings back to them, but they weren't the least bit interested until we said we were going in with a Transit, six big blokes and trailer and liberating my car, whatever happened. They didn't like the thought of any conflict so met us at the gate; on entry we found about 30 big cars (limo's, hearses etc) being readyied for a track death, but they hadn't started on mine. As we were winching it out the land-owners returned so the Police took details whilst we left.
I went to the local Police station and filled in all the necessary forms, but a few days later they rang to say they were not proceeding with any more on the case "as I had recovered my car, and there was no money to be gained by anybody". What about my smashed steering and bashed-in rear wing, also the damaged garages? Why did I bother when all the "farmer" needed to say was that he bought it from a guy at the pub for £80 - I mean he had stolen goods on his property for heavens sake. If they found a dodgy bike on my land I bet I would be in prison now.
The moral of my story is obvious, but the Surrey Police are well-known for their priorities..... All I can add is that I hope the Kent force is more on your side, and don't give up like those at my sons place.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 22:29   #43
jor
VOC 20573

Wow! there hasn't been such a thread response since simonfoy posted a few years ago. It's a pleasure to read such a thoughful post even if it's not mechanical related .
As per pm there is a '16 yr old with a 240' who appears to have rebuilt a 240 from scratch so with help principally from the section plus whatever else others can provide m sure it can be done.

jor

Last edited by jor; Oct 19th, 2013 at 22:32.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 17:36   #44
Lordbiscuit

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting it going again. It's just that morning I had finally given up on finding it and then when I found it in that state I didn't feel I could bear piecing it back. But since all your messages and amazing offers of parts, labour and even a set of wheels I agree, it's gotta be done. Like has been said it seems mostly cosmetic but still don't know till I get her back. Thanks so much! I was quite overwhelmed when I refreshed the page this morning. Was away yesterday.
Still waiting for the pound to let me know if its available, left a couple of messages but nowt.
The ovalbagerchat forum has really lit up too, the team are being named and shamed with people calling for life bans for those involved and retro rides has a mix of both! The ending could almost end up better than the beginning at this rate!!!

One thing I have to mention, when I had a peek into the car at the yard I wanted to know if it had been wired but no....there was a key in the ignition.
Although I'm having trouble finding my spare right now (must have put it in a REALLY safe place???) it wasn't it. I know some of these older cars can have pretty similar keys or maybe its been cut to a skeleton pattern? I'll know if the coppers leave it in the car when it returns.
I also think they may have tried before as I remember hearing a car trying to turn over (i pulled the ignition coil each night) but when I went to the window then outside there was nothing and the car was locked. Now makes more sense with a key involved.

Thanks again for all your messages and offers, what stars, and I'll let you know more as I find out or when the car returns.

Cheers!

Regards

Biscuit
Lordbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lordbiscuit For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 17:42   #45
Lordbiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Wow! there hasn't been such a thread response since simonfoy posted a few years ago. It's a pleasure to read such a thoughful post even if it's not mechanical related .
As per pm there is a '16 yr old with a 240' who appears to have rebuilt a 240 from scratch so with help principally from the section plus whatever else others can provide m sure it can be done.

jor
Thanks very much for the message. Really appreciate the offer, honestly. It seems everyone has really been got by this and the offers of parts has been incredible. I'll check out that thread too, I reckon it will be useful.
Still a little fuzzy on the situation regarding insurance/keeping the vehicle and repairing myself etc...I'll work it out.
I've a no claims protection so don't mind claiming a bit if I can.
Thanks so much and I'll update the thread when I get more info.

regards

Biscuit

Tried to PM this but seems I can't until I have made 30 posts...getting there!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbiscuit For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 17:51   #46
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbiscuit View Post
Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting it going again. It's just that morning I had finally given up on finding it and then when I found it in that state I didn't feel I could bear piecing it back. But since all your messages and amazing offers of parts, labour and even a set of wheels I agree, it's gotta be done. Like has been said it seems mostly cosmetic but still don't know till I get her back. Thanks so much! I was quite overwhelmed when I refreshed the page this morning. Was away yesterday.
Still waiting for the pound to let me know if its available, left a couple of messages but nowt.
The ovalbagerchat forum has really lit up too, the team are being named and shamed with people calling for life bans for those involved and retro rides has a mix of both! The ending could almost end up better than the beginning at this rate!!!

One thing I have to mention, when I had a peek into the car at the yard I wanted to know if it had been wired but no....there was a key in the ignition.
Although I'm having trouble finding my spare right now (must have put it in a REALLY safe place???) it wasn't it. I know some of these older cars can have pretty similar keys or maybe its been cut to a skeleton pattern? I'll know if the coppers leave it in the car when it returns.
I also think they may have tried before as I remember hearing a car trying to turn over (i pulled the ignition coil each night) but when I went to the window then outside there was nothing and the car was locked. Now makes more sense with a key involved.

Thanks again for all your messages and offers, what stars, and I'll let you know more as I find out or when the car returns.

Cheers!

Regards

Biscuit
Regarding the key , all they have to do is go into a VOLVO DEALER with the reg. Number and they can get a key cut , they should have to provide ID etc but you never know , try the three nearest volvo dealers to find out which one supplied the key ... or preferably get the police to .
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 18:40   #47
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

What a sad story but with a happy ending. Not in the sense of the cars condition but that its been found.

Im so glad you found it. Don't give up, get it repaired and thatll be a huge **** you to the banger racers that stole it. Lets hope that karma gets them.

Don't give up, get her repaired.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 19:56   #48
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

If that happened to my 740 I'd have done exactly the same as you mate, only I'd have went looking to kill all sorts of dead things. You've an attachment to the car, looks to be mainly bolt on bits which are missing, and I think Minty is even breaking a white 240, if it were my car I'd be sorting it out and having it back on the road better and shineyer (that a word?) that its ever been to show the b*****ds they won't get the better of you or your pride and joy.

At this time "YOUR CAR NEEDS YOU"

Glad it was a not good but better than could be expected outcome

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 20:27   #49
Lordbiscuit

Hey mad Matt, thanks for the pm (still can't reply to them). Think I've sorted some wheels for now but I'll let you know.

And I am definitely bringing it back better than ever (with Chubb locks on the doors!) due to all the help offered. Cheers guys.
And if anyone spots those white walls in a tyre yard soon....
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbiscuit For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 20:40   #50
LJD
I've Been Banned

I would be tempted to torch the whole yard .
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote