Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Book time for rear wheel bearing hub

Views : 544

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2024, 11:37   #1
MDS40

Default Book time for rear wheel bearing hub

As the title says, anybody know the appx garage book time to replace this?

I have a humming sound that kicks in around 45 mph and is vehicle speed related and not engine speed.
I know the part can be had for £80 to £150 appx but would need a garage to fit this.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2024, 13:11   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post

I have a humming sound that kicks in around 45 mph and is vehicle speed related and not engine speed.
I know the part can be had for £80 to £150 appx but would need a garage to fit this.
I don't know exact book time, but I can give you an idea.

Mine is a different car to yours, but I think the principle is similar. Front bearings take longer on mine, as they have to be pressed in/out. Rear bearings are bolt on and bolt off (no press).

I had a front bearing replaced on my car. I supplied the bearing (£60 for an SKF one) and they charged £72.50 to put it in (inclusive of VAT). This was an independent garage, not a dealership.

I think rear would be slightly quicker, but all the same, the garage would probably charge an hour labour anyway plus VAT.

I reckon 1 hour - 1.5 hours labour being realistic/to play it safe. Depends where you go with regards to the hourly rate.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 6th, 2024 at 13:14.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 15:41   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

iv done one of these bearing replacements .and you need a special socket like a reverse torx to remove the bolts. which can be very tight and rusty .it took me about 3 hrs but i could do it quicker second time round knowing what's involved .a garage would probably do this in an hour with all there available equipment ramps /lift ect . i was working on the drive it is possible to diy if you are confident enough.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 20:34   #4
Petey80
Premier Member

They have 4 bolts holding the bearing on at the back.

As Simmy says, these can be a nightmare to get out as they are subjected to the elements. They rust, seize etc.

Some cases I've known them to have to have the hub front cut off in order to get to the bolts that needed to be drilled out.

I had one done on my V50 and it took my mate a good while to get the bolts out. Winding them out, back in, WD40, in, out and repeat until they came out.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 23:21   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

having just had one done at a Volvo indy, £250 i think
BUT mine had sized good and proper bolts to contend with, AND mullered bolts holding the brake carrier to the hub asm to deal with,, 100% a take it to a garage let them swear job for me

i went with a SKF hub asm, and my usual "parts are in the boot" inc volvo supplied new bolts for whatever is coming off, inc bits/bobs that need to come of to get to "that bit",,, i have the tools , skill ramps and stands to do it on the drive,, took one look at the bolts holding the hub on, spotted the calliper carrier bolts were round > "garage"
also had rear suspension arms + springs replaced at same time, the corrosion on the bolts for that , esp the one in the eccentric hole/washers/head ,, meant the poor chap at the garage had to Cut the "lovely" thing into 4 to get it out,, he learnt some new words that day,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2024, 23:42   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Yes, 36 mins to replace the rear wheel hub complete with bearings... (VST)
Old May 7th, 2024, 09:34   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

yes i believe that timing is possible on a car thats 5yrs old or newer .but in the real-world where the heads twist off the bolts and are seized from years of exposure to road dirt and salt what happens to the time schedule then ?..
Old May 7th, 2024, 12:22   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
yes i believe that timing is possible on a car thats 5yrs old or newer .but in the real-world where the heads twist off the bolts and are seized from years of exposure to road dirt and salt what happens to the time schedule then ?..
It goes out the window I think. Like you say, on an older car, its a different ball game. Rust would have built up on the bolts and they can be a nightmare to get out.

Garages know this. They just use "book time" as an estimate, but we all know if a job takes 3 hours and the book says 1, they aren't charging by the book time (rightfully so). They will charge based on how long it took them. Book time on an older car means nothing in reality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2024, 12:56   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
It doesn't take 5 mins to drill a bolt out... never come across that yet though in fact never come across a rear wheel bearing failing yet. I wonder how it is with the ford Focus...
Old May 7th, 2024, 15:05   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

i had to use an induction bolt heater to get mine free on a c70 2010 it was fairly well rusted and tight. never got to the drilling out part every job is different and tackled accordingly.